Pitbull love

Discussion in 'Pets' started by koshergrl, Oct 13, 2012.

1. koshergrl

koshergrl Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,073
    [​IMG]

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Claudette

Claudette Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,624
    Nice Pic.

My foster dog is a Pit/GSD mix and he's one hell of a dog.

3. Bfgrn

Bfgrn Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,060
    Pit Bull FAQ - Dangerous Dogs - DogsBite.org

Q: Do pit bulls bite more than other dogs?

Depending upon the community in which you live and the ratio of pit bulls within it, yes and no. But whether a pit bull bites more or less than another dog breed is not the point. The issue is the acute damage a pit bull inflicts when it does choose to bite. The pit bull's "hold and shake" bite style causes severe bone and muscle damage, often inflicting permanent and disfiguring injury. Moreover, once a pit bull starts an attack, firearm intervention may be the only way to stop it.

When analyzing dog bite statistics, it is important to understand what constitutes a bite. A single bite -- recorded and used in dog bite statistics -- is a bite that "breaks the skin." One bite by a poodle that leaves two puncture wounds is recorded the same way as a pit bull mauling, which can constitute hundreds of puncture wounds and extensive soft tissue loss. Despite the "quagmire" of dog bite statistics, pit bulls are leading bite counts across U.S. cities and counties.

4. koshergrl

koshergrl Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,073
    Terriers are potentially dangerous. So are shepherds and rotties.

Pits are a lot more likely to have been poorly trained/abused/neglected than a lot of other dogs, because of the types of people that tend to like to keep them.

This boy is a good pup though. He was raised with that little girl my kids and a passel of other kids and loves his family, and children in general. I know everyone says that, but this guy is used to having kids all over him.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  5. Bfgrn

Bfgrn Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,060
    Just please be aware. If you see any aggression, don't ignore it or dismiss it. I've had dogs all my life. I loved all the dogs I had, and I love the 2 that I have now. I had 3, until Buddy tried to kill me. He was a pitt/lab mix my son rescued when we lived in Florida. He was probably the most lovable dog I ever had. If I was laying on the couch watching TV, he would try to crawl up on my stomach and he would snuggle his head between my head and shoulder like he was trying to hug me.

One day my wife was dusting and left his leach on the floor. I went to pick it up, and put it back on the hutch. Buddy came over next to me and started growling. I calmly backed off, left it on the floor and said 'its ok Buddy. He stopped growling and seemed calmed.

When I walked away, he charged after me, leaped up towards me and latched onto my left arm, I was spurting blood from that wound. I swung him off 180 degrees later, he charged again latching onto my right arm and hand, deep wounds, then he went after my legs (I had shorts on) and he ripped open the back of my right leg, then got the front of my leg exposing my femur bone. My wife, daughter and son were home. My son tried to help me but I was still getting bit. Finally I was able to grab Buddy around the neck with my right arm and fell down on top of him holding on for dear life...literally. If he had escaped my grip, my face was 6 inches away. My son was able to grab him and I got away, spewing blood all over the house. My son was able to calm Buddy down, and a few minutes later he was acting as if nothing happened.

If no one were home that day, I wouldn't be telling this story. There is nothing a human can do to fight off a pitt bull attack...NOTHING.

If you see any aggression, don't ignore it or dismiss it. Get rid of that dog, it is a ticking time bomb...

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. koshergrl

koshergrl Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,073
    He's 6 years old now and my son has had him since he left his mom. He's never shown any aggression to any of us at all; he gets along well with my dogs as well including my spaz jack russell terrier. I mean, he's normal, he'll put them in their place when they get out of hand, but just in a normal way and never out of control.

i wasn't thrilled when my son got Snoop..I'm not particularly fond of terriers anyway (though now i have one but that's a story in and of itself...I won't have another when she's gone.)...I had little kids and I recognize the risk in having an animal that is powerful and bred to kill. But he did a wonderful job with the pup, and he still does a wonderful job with him. I don't think he'll get another though....I think his next dog, down the road, will be one on the order of my saint..a dog that has a gentle and forgiving nature, with no tendency to bite and no tendency towards aggression, a dog that people on the street ask if they can hug and pet; instead of looking at out of the corners of their eyes and crossing to the other side. Snoop is well socialized and he takes him with him everywhere and he is a good ambassador but people are nervous of him. After 5 years that gets a little old.

7. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,865
    yea once you get a pit ban...which breed will you ban next? i have a dobie...the only trouble he has ever caused was barking at the boy next door when he was trying to get on the bus...the kid ran home crying.....thor did not chase him....i got the call from boy's mom.....

we worked it out....cause i dont want my dog shot.....

but you got to be careful....even a quick snap from a dobie can do a lot of damage....

8. martybegan

martybegan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,906
    A hard punch to the head will stun them. A friend of mine has to do it sometimes when his two pits get into a bit of a fight that goes too far.

If the dog was a rescue, it almost seems that you triggered some fight cue it may have been trained up for. Was the dog rescued from a fighting breeder by some chance?

9. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,865
    o hell yea that is what i want to do.....hit a pit that is fighting in the head to stun the bitch....please ******....are you really suggesting that?

10. martybegan

martybegan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,906
    A pit fighting another dog is usually concentrated on the dog, not gunning for the person trying to break it up. The dog has never turned on my friend when he tries to break it up.

Thier heads are like a brick, all the hit does it breaks the contact between the dogs for a second, and that is usually enough to "Reset" them back to normal mode.

This is not an every day occurance, it just happens sometimes when the play fighting takes a bad turn.