Personal Experiences with the Divine

People can choose not to feel guilty about something...​

Guilt is a choice?

LOL! That's adorable...

It takes Willpower.

You can choose not to feel guilt, just as you can choose not to feel anger or sadness.

Don't underestimate the Power of Thought. Or choice. Or belief.

So ... just to follow you're reasoning.

One's done something which one recognizes as wrong. And one applies 'will power' to create the subjective rationalization, which provides for the justification, because its ONE and ONE ARE SPECIAL? Thus the wrong one did... is not wrong?

LOL! One is a sociopath. But hey... what relativist isn't... right?

Guilt is a choice?

LOL! That's adorable...

It takes Willpower.

You can choose not to feel guilt, just as you can choose not to feel anger or sadness.

One's done something which one recognizes as wrong. And one applies 'will power' to create the subjective rationalization, which provides for the justification, because its ONE and ONE ARE SPECIAL? Thus the wrong one did... is not wrong?

When one does something that one subjectively considers to be "wrong", one does not have to "rationalize" or "justify" it in her mind. She can, if it is her Will, but One only has to choose not to feel guilty about it, and implement the necessary Willpower to truly feel as such.

When one does something that one subjectively considers to be "right", when others subjectively consider it to be "wrong", one might feel inclined to rationalize and justify it in her mind. But still, one only has to choose not to feel guilty about it, and implement the necessary Willpower to truly feel as such.

Willpower is all one needs to choose not to submit to emotion.

Even if one finds herself in a situation where one is experiencing anger, or hate, or sadness, or guilt, etc... one can take a deep moment of thought and make the choice to be free from it, and if her Willpower is strong enough, she will be.

Last edited:

Guilt is a choice?

LOL! That's adorable...

It takes Willpower.

When one does something that one subjectively considers to be "wrong", one does not have to "rationalize" or "justify" it in her mind. She can, if it is her Will, but One only has to choose not to feel guilty about it, and implement the necessary Willpower to truly feel as such.

When one does something that one subjectively considers to be "right", when others subjectively consider it to be "wrong", one might feel inclined to rationalize and justify it in her mind. But still, one only has to choose not to feel guilty about it, and implement the necessary Willpower to truly feel as such.

Willpower is all one needs to choose not to submit to emotion.

Even if one finds herself in a situation where one is experiencing anger, or hate, or sadness, or guilt, etc... one can take a deep moment of thought and make the choice to be free from it, and if her Willpower is strong enough, she will be.

That is powerfully demented.

We should agree to disagree. You've no means to prevail here and I do not want to carry the discussion where it must go, to finish this drivel off.

Thank you for you time and for your passion. I've enjoyed it.

Using ‘god’ to explain something explains nothing. God’s supposed powers and how they work are a mystery. An explanation is intended to clarify and extend knowledge. Attributing a phenomenon to the magical powers of a supernatural being does neither. Worse still, this presumption acts to prevent any deeper investigation, being little more than a form of blissful ignorance.

Note: By using ‘god’ to fill gaps in their knowledge theists inadvertently provide a shrinking role for their god as science advances. They also predicate god’s existence on a lack of knowledge, not on any positive argument or evidence.
You have an extremely limited idea on what theists believe and lump them all into your little box based on pre-packaged arguments. Most theists I know believe god created the universe and it functions as it was designed to. They differ on how involved or uninvolved god is but don't use it to "fill in gaps". Contrary to your myopic world view, many scientists are theists, almost half last I checked. They don't study a phenomenon and say science works here and here and god does the rest with his magic.

On the contrary. Haven't you heard me say before that god is like a snowflake? No two gods seem to be the exact same. Everyone has their own concepts so its impossible to put you all in the same box.

Of course most theists believe god created the universe.

And you should wonder why 95% of society are theists but only half the scientists are.

Also the fact that an intelligent person holds an irrational belief is simply evidence that our brains are able to compartmentalize world-views and models from one another, usually in order to maintain a state of ‘ignorant bliss’ and escape the discomfort of cognitive dissonance.

People's perspective will differ, therefore their observations will differ. Doesn't change what God is.

You're using people's understanding of God, and the would-be inconsistencies within that pool of observations to conclude that because God is described differently, God doesn't really exist.

Such is a disjointed syllogism of the invalid variety.

No one here; or anywhere else for that matter would argue that people aren't flawed, thus their reasoning can't be flawed. Your beef is with humanity... not God. If it helps, humanity is a hot mess... and that is the reason that God offered his grace, through Christ. Grab a clue... it's right there waiting on YOU and your screwed up, hot mess of reasoning to get over.

You are right my beef is with humanity because god doesn't exist. I'm not mad at god. He doesn't exist. No offense.

Oh, and I'm not a hot mess. Are you? Seems like that's a big reason people become super religious. Guilt. I don't have guilt. I'm a good person. In fact probably better than most Christians.

And yes, I can only judge this god character by the humans he produced. Since he has never introduced himself to me, all I can go by is based on my opinion of the preacher or person telling me stories. If a Cleric Islam Muslim guy told me about his god, I would have no choice but to judge his imaginary friend based on the person telling me the story.

And based on man and society, I call BULLSHIT! God's going to have to come back because I just can't believe George Bush or the Iatola Komeni or a Rabbi. I'm too smart for that.

You don't have guilt because you're a sociopath. Look it up... that's the first clue, OKA: Symptom.

God doesn't exist, in your mind. And that's fine with me... I dont' care whats in your mind. Except where whats in your mind undermines my means to exercise my rights.

Where we have a problem, is where your policy advocacies are forming law around your religious beliefs, forcing me and others into servitude, demanding that we participate in your celebration of your debauched, sexual perversion and the pretense that marriage is the joining of anything except one man and one woman.

At this point, we're one degree separated from you forcing me to destroy you, because what's in your head is injuring me and all because you lack sufficient intellectual means to reason objectively. (That's the second symptom... BTW. Sociopaths are limited to subjective reasoning. That's sort of the crux establishing the abnormal mind)

We can all get along as long as we can all recognize that your rights end at you, just as my rights begin and end at me.

Actually that is why we have secular laws. Because your side kept trying to do all that stuff to us.

What you are crying about is that our society has deemed your religion unnecessary. Too many problems with your religion. Plus, are we going to go by what the Lutherans, Presbyterians, Catholics, Born Agains or Baptists version? First we would have to figure out what your absolutes are. Because my dear, even some Christians accept gays. Talk about putting yourself in a box.

So think about it. What other reason would there be for laws if your books were perfect? Our society/government/constitution looked at the gay issue and said that your side was discriminating against gays and they should be able to get married. Our society, Christian judges might I add, looked at abortion and the constitution and the bible and decided abortion should be legal.

Now there are sometimes unjust laws I get that. The law isn't perfect but its a hell of a lot better than using your superstitions and ancient notions.

But I don't believe and I don't know. No one knows. That's why I'm an agnostic atheist. The only way you could KNOW is either you met god or you are a god yourself.

I know, and I am not God. :D

Let's take a different approach from the ones you offer, that of faith. Do you know the story of Moses whose eyes had to be shielded when God passed directly in front of him? Some read this story as a revelation about God--that God is seen best in hindsight; His presence, when directly in front of us, "blinds" us, as God is too bright to be seen. Sometimes we see in hindsight; perhaps because He is the expert in, "Don't let your left hand know what your right hand is doing," sometimes it seems all He leaves behind are His fingerprints.

What we know is that it is extremely difficult to prove God's existence in the physical dimension--the dimension that science can help explain. But is the physical dimension the only dimension? Some think there are indications that their are more dimensions than the one in which we exist.

It is also my understanding that the physical never ceases to exist--it may change form and substance, but it does not blink out of existence. If this is so, than all the matter we see now may have always been in existence. Let's switch from physical objects to the spiritual. Note, that we can classify the physical as 'matter'. Is it possible we can do the same for the spiritual? If we can, I would say for the physical, we have matter. For the spiritual, we have life, but perhaps more precisely, love. Is matter and love such an unbelievable/unknowable combination?

Just some more or less random thoughts...not provable in the physical world, of course, but perhaps knowable all the same?

Is the physical dimension the only dimension? No. Does that prove a god exists? No. Philosophers have asked the same questions you have just asked for thousands of years.

The story of Moses? Isn't that the story my uneducated 90 year old Grandmother told me when I was a kid? And who told her? Her very uneducated parents, etc keep going back thousands of years. First of all, I didn't really believe all that stuff she told me. I know a lot of kids did but a lot of us sit there scratching our internal heads.

And that Moses story is a story they came up with on how to explain why no one has ever seen god before. That's what chief cave man told the others in his clan when someone called bullshit on his story.

We also at one point thought the sun was god. See why today god is too bright to look at? Please evolve or grow up.

It's not difficult to prove god's existence. It's impossible because he doesn't exist.

Last thing. I watched a show last night where they talked about coming up with co2 and h2o and helium and nitrogen and hot air balloons. The night before they talked about the invention of glass. In the 1700's they thought everything was god or magic. We don't believe in magic anymore. In every single case where our dumb ancestors thought it was either magic or god, science has proven otherwise. Overtime your god has gotten smaller and smaller. Each time we fill a gap. Its called God of the Gaps. But you need no proof so it would be impossible to convince you no matter how much evidence I give because you choose to believe.

Using ‘god’ to explain something explains nothing. God’s supposed powers and how they work are a mystery. An explanation is intended to clarify and extend knowledge. Attributing a phenomenon to the magical powers of a supernatural being does neither. Worse still, this presumption acts to prevent any deeper investigation, being little more than a form of blissful ignorance.

Guilt is a choice?

LOL! That's adorable...

It is true. My dog rubbed a dead animal all over his body. You should have seen how proud he was of the smell until I reacted. Then you should have seen his face. He looked so guilty/sorry until I walked away then he was all proud again and he wanted to rub in it again like it was crack and his body was a nose.

I'm not religious anymore but this is something that makes me wonder. How does science explain this? But then again, how about all the times when a family member is dying or being raped or tortured for hours and their relatives all sleep right through it.

And how come some dogs can tell their master is coming from 2 miles away but some dogs you can sneak right up on them? What is it that tells that dog the owner is nearing?
I'm not religious anymore either so I don't have to make up answers, I just say I don't know. I don't really want to get into specifics but I had one occurrence of an event that was directly related to a family member at the same time, same area of the body. He was not sick, hadn't spoken to him in years.
It was mathematically possible but off the charts.

I also had another pass and saw something on TV, his name on a credit card right after in a commercial. We have an unusual name and his first was old school, not common at all. It ran briefly during that period and no more. My mom saw it too, I thought I had been hallucinating or something. Again, mathematically possible but....

All I know is I am convinced that there is another dimension to reality that intersects on occasion for some reason. I also believe it is not entirely rare and that's probably why mankind has come up with various religions to explain it.

When I was a kid I could have sworn the News Anchor talked to me. I'm sure I was dreaming but back then it was so real.

I have a friend he keeps telling me that an angel saved him once. It's such a lame story but it has him convinced.

My friends were sure a ghost was in their home when we were kids. I never saw a ghost.

My little nephew this Saturday was telling me how some fisherman found a mermaid and they have it on film and he showed me on his ipad. Looked pretty real to me. Do I believe in Mermaids?

I think EVERYTHING has a scientific explanation.
You may be right, for God is the ultimate scientist. Too bad we will never know near what He does.

I'm not religious anymore but this is something that makes me wonder. How does science explain this? But then again, how about all the times when a family member is dying or being raped or tortured for hours and their relatives all sleep right through it.

And how come some dogs can tell their master is coming from 2 miles away but some dogs you can sneak right up on them? What is it that tells that dog the owner is nearing?
I'm not religious anymore either so I don't have to make up answers, I just say I don't know. I don't really want to get into specifics but I had one occurrence of an event that was directly related to a family member at the same time, same area of the body. He was not sick, hadn't spoken to him in years.
It was mathematically possible but off the charts.

I also had another pass and saw something on TV, his name on a credit card right after in a commercial. We have an unusual name and his first was old school, not common at all. It ran briefly during that period and no more. My mom saw it too, I thought I had been hallucinating or something. Again, mathematically possible but....

All I know is I am convinced that there is another dimension to reality that intersects on occasion for some reason. I also believe it is not entirely rare and that's probably why mankind has come up with various religions to explain it.

When I was a kid I could have sworn the News Anchor talked to me. I'm sure I was dreaming but back then it was so real.

I have a friend he keeps telling me that an angel saved him once. It's such a lame story but it has him convinced.

My friends were sure a ghost was in their home when we were kids. I never saw a ghost.

My little nephew this Saturday was telling me how some fisherman found a mermaid and they have it on film and he showed me on his ipad. Looked pretty real to me. Do I believe in Mermaids?

I think EVERYTHING has a scientific explanation.
You may be right, for God is the ultimate scientist. Too bad we will never know near what He does.

Here's what I believe. If there is a such thing as a god/creator, he don't care about you. He didn't give us 10 commandments. He aint gonna save us if a meteor is coming or if we destroy ourselves.

I love it when I stop myself from saying "destroy the planet". We can't destroy the planet. The planet will be just fine long after we go if we destroy ourselves. The deer might not be here anymore, the cows, lions, bear, etc might all go with us, but the cockroaches and some bugs and micros will live on till our sun expires and new species will evolve just like we did after that last major extinction.

Guilt is a choice?

LOL! That's adorable...

It is true. My dog rubbed a dead animal all over his body. You should have seen how proud he was of the smell until I reacted. Then you should have seen his face. He looked so guilty/sorry until I walked away then he was all proud again and he wanted to rub in it again like it was crack and his body was a nose.

your dog was "acting"

The ignorance is all yours. You keep spouting off nonsense, trying to project it onto others. Many scientists are theists and have no problem with the two. You do but that's your shortcoming, not theirs or mine.

The ignorance is all yours. You keep spouting off nonsense, trying to project it onto others. Many scientists are theists and have no problem with the two. You do but that's your shortcoming, not theirs or mine.

The validity of a claim, such as the existence of god, is not governed by the intelligence of the minds which hold it. Evidence and reason are the deciding factors.

Sir Isaac Newton, one of history’s greatest scientists, was not only intensely religious but also believed in alchemical transmutation. Alchemy is, however, fully incorrect given our modern understanding of chemistry, the atom and nucleosynthysis.

The fact that an intelligent person holds an irrational belief is simply evidence that our brains are able to compartmentalize world-views and models from one another, usually in order to maintain a state of ‘ignorant bliss’ and escape the discomfort of cognitive dissonance.

Since we don't know for sure and they want to believe. I get it. I know the arguments. There must be a god. How could all of this happened by itself?

Not to mention its been hard wired into us for 1000's of years.

The validity of a claim, such as the existence of god, is not governed by the intelligence of the minds which hold it. Evidence and reason are the deciding factors.
I didn't make a claim, you stupid asshole. I said at least 10 times that it's what I believe and why. You can't order me what to think. You're just another stupid atheist trying to minimize people who disagree with their unsupportable position.
Sir Isaac Newton, one of history’s greatest scientists, was not only intensely religious but also believed in alchemical transmutation. Alchemy is, however, fully incorrect given our modern understanding of chemistry, the atom and nucleosynthysis.

The fact that an intelligent person holds an irrational belief is simply evidence that our brains are able to compartmentalize world-views and models from one another, usually in order to maintain a state of ‘ignorant bliss’ and escape the discomfort of cognitive dissonance.

Since we don't know for sure and they want to believe. I get it. I know the arguments. There must be a god. How could all of this happened by itself?

There's nothing irrational about being a theist. There is something irrational about adopting a faith while criticizing people of faith. Asshole.

But I don't believe and I don't know. No one knows. That's why I'm an agnostic atheist. The only way you could KNOW is either you met god or you are a god yourself.

I know, and I am not God. :D

Let's take a different approach from the ones you offer, that of faith. Do you know the story of Moses whose eyes had to be shielded when God passed directly in front of him? Some read this story as a revelation about God--that God is seen best in hindsight; His presence, when directly in front of us, "blinds" us, as God is too bright to be seen. Sometimes we see in hindsight; perhaps because He is the expert in, "Don't let your left hand know what your right hand is doing," sometimes it seems all He leaves behind are His fingerprints.

What we know is that it is extremely difficult to prove God's existence in the physical dimension--the dimension that science can help explain. But is the physical dimension the only dimension? Some think there are indications that their are more dimensions than the one in which we exist.

It is also my understanding that the physical never ceases to exist--it may change form and substance, but it does not blink out of existence. If this is so, than all the matter we see now may have always been in existence. Let's switch from physical objects to the spiritual. Note, that we can classify the physical as 'matter'. Is it possible we can do the same for the spiritual? If we can, I would say for the physical, we have matter. For the spiritual, we have life, but perhaps more precisely, love. Is matter and love such an unbelievable/unknowable combination?

Just some more or less random thoughts...not provable in the physical world, of course, but perhaps knowable all the same?

Is the physical dimension the only dimension? No. Does that prove a god exists? No. Philosophers have asked the same questions you have just asked for thousands of years.

The story of Moses? Isn't that the story my uneducated 90 year old Grandmother told me when I was a kid? And who told her? Her very uneducated parents, etc keep going back thousands of years. First of all, I didn't really believe all that stuff she told me. I know a lot of kids did but a lot of us sit there scratching our internal heads.

And that Moses story is a story they came up with on how to explain why no one has ever seen god before. That's what chief cave man told the others in his clan when someone called bullshit on his story.

We also at one point thought the sun was god. See why today god is too bright to look at? Please evolve or grow up.

It's not difficult to prove god's existence. It's impossible because he doesn't exist.

Last thing. I watched a show last night where they talked about coming up with co2 and h2o and helium and nitrogen and hot air balloons. The night before they talked about the invention of glass. In the 1700's they thought everything was god or magic. We don't believe in magic anymore. In every single case where our dumb ancestors thought it was either magic or god, science has proven otherwise. Overtime your god has gotten smaller and smaller. Each time we fill a gap. Its called God of the Gaps. But you need no proof so it would be impossible to convince you no matter how much evidence I give because you choose to believe.

It appears we may be on two different trains of thought. If it took a creator to create matter (as opposed to matter always being), I envision the Creator beginning with dust--and letting physics take over from there.

The next question is how did life come to innate matter, and we are told it was breathed into us from another living being. This makes sense as life begets life. Our bodies came from matter and will return to matter. What about our spirit?

Some believe it just blinks out. Others believe that much like the body returns to the earth from which it came, our spirit returns to the spirit from which it came. We believe this Spirit is knowable, and that people of all ages, down through the ages, can learn about the spiritual just as we have been able to learn about the material.

Booboo doesn't care, he thinks that puking up someone else's retread argument makes him look smart. And massaging the word atheist to be some semi/quasi/something agnostic gives him an out. I'd call him a fundamentalist.

I didn't make a claim, you stupid asshole. I said at least 10 times that it's what I believe and why. You can't order me what to think. You're just another stupid atheist trying to minimize people who disagree with their unsupportable position.

There's nothing irrational about being a theist. There is something irrational about adopting a faith while criticizing people of faith. Asshole.

It's funny I'm enjoying this debate and it is you people who believe in god who seem to be the angry ones.

Atheists are most often called ‘militant’ when they passionately defend reason and advocate critical thinking. The bar theists set for perceived hostility appears to be any atheist simply voicing an opinion in dissent of religious belief. In contrast, the bar atheists set for perceived theistic hostility is any form of religiously motivated violence or oppression.

Atheism does not preclude someone from being argumentative or insensitive; those things are simply seen as being preferable to killing one another over an imaginary friend.

It can be argued that there is no such thing as a ‘militant’ atheist, that the term is itself a misnomer, because there is simply no ideology or philosophy in atheism to be militant about. If an atheist is someone who lacks belief in gods, then a ‘militant’ atheist is apparently someone who passionately lacks a belief in gods.

“I’m sorry if my insensitivity towards your beliefs offends you. But guess what – your religious wars, jihads, crusades, inquisitions, censoring of free speech, brainwashing of children, forcing girls into underage marriages, female genital mutilation, stoning, pederasty, homophobia and rejection of science and reason offend me. So I guess we’re even.” – Anonymous

Do you talk in front of your grandmother like that? How about your boss? How about your kids?

I'm assuming you believe in the God that cares about you and talked to Adam? Is that true? Then please explain to me why you would talk to me like that in front of god? Do you have less respect for god than you do your boss, child or parents?

Did you talk like that in front of your wife's parents when you first met them? So basically you respect god less than your in laws, parents, kids and boss. Anyone else? Oh yea, your preacher. You don't talk like that in front of him do you? But yet you talk like that in front of your god. Interesting.

Do you talk in front of your grandmother like that? How about your boss? How about your kids?

I'm assuming you believe in the God that cares about you and talked to Adam? Is that true? Then please explain to me why you would talk to me like that in front of god? Do you have less respect for god than you do your boss, child or parents?
I don't have a boss and you're just an asshole on the net, not my grandmother. You are quite obviously incapable of receiving anything your pea brain doesn't already believe since I've discussed it numerous times. You aren't any different than any other fundamentalist.

I don't have a boss and you're just an asshole on the net, not my grandmother. You are quite obviously incapable of receiving anything your pea brain doesn't already believe since I've discussed it numerous times. You aren't any different than any other fundamentalist.

If I want to be nice I go to facebook. If I want to argue religion or politics I come to USMB. I use to argue politics until I realized that I'm arguing with people who believe in an invisible man. I use to wonder why they couldn't see the GOP lied us into Iraq or that their economic policies caused the great recession but then I realized they all believe an invisible god not only exists but cares about them personally.

So I'm attacking the the core of peoples stupidity. Time to evolve, wise & grow up.

I don't have a boss.....

Out of work huh? Maybe instead of using the internet, an invention some government employee came up with mind you, instead you should pray to god and see if that works.

Forum List

Back