Psalm 91 - God's Divine Protection Plan

Book of Jeremiah

Platinum Member
Nov 3, 2012
After reading some of the responses on this board I can see that there are people who truly do not realize the power of God - the ability of God - even the very promises of God. It has been almost a year of my posting the judgment of God was coming upon America and in that time I've posted many threads on the promises of God! The thread Pentacostal Fire is full of scripture - please review that after reading this thread. I am going to begin with a link for the first verses of Psalm 91 and then go into the history of Psalm 91 and how God answers prayer, God protects His own children, how to become a child of God if you are not one already, and how to believe God for anything! Stay tuned! It's all Good News, people!

Psalm 91 1 Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
Context
[URL='http://biblehub.com/psalms/91.htm']My Refuge and My Fortress

1He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High Will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. 2I will say to the LORD, "My refuge and my fortress, My God, in whom I trust!"…

Cross References

Exodus 33:22
When my glory passes by, I will put you in a cleft in the rock and cover you with my hand until I have passed by.

Psalm 17:8
Keep me as the apple of your eye; hide me in the shadow of your wings

Psalm 27:5
For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his sacred tent and set me high upon a rock.

Psalm 31:20
In the shelter of your presence you hide them from all human intrigues; you keep them safe in your dwelling from accusing tongues.

Psalm 32:7
You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance.

Psalm 90:1
A prayer of Moses the man of God. Lord, you have been our dwelling place throughout all generations

.Psalm 119:114
You are my refuge and my shield; I have put my hope in your word.

Psalm 121:5
The LORD watches over you-- the LORD is your shade at your right hand;[/URL]

Last edited:
First I am going to type out Psalm 91 for you. Then we are going to go over every single verse and watch what the LORD will do for you tonight!

Psalm 91

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.

2 I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.

3 Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence.

4 He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shall thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.

5 Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day.

6 Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday.

7 A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.

8 Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.

9 Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation;

10 there shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.

11 For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways.

12 They shall bear thee up lest thou dash thy foot against a stone.

13 Thou shalt tread upon the lion and the adder: the young lion and the dragon shalt thou trample under feet.

14 Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him, and honour him.

15 He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honour him.

16 With long life will I satisfy him, and shew him my salvation.

Psalm 91: 1 - 16

Verse 1 He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.

This means that if you have accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior and believe that he died on the cross and shed his blood for the forgiveness of your sins - you are adopted into the family of God - according to John 3:16 and as you abide in Christ - John 15:7 you are kept by the LORD - you are dwelling in the secret place with God - Jesus is God - beloved - if you have not accepted the pardon Christ paid for - do so now - pray that the LORD forgive you of your sins - be sincere in your heart before the LORD and tell him Lord, your Word says all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God! I am a sinner! I need your forgiveness! Forgive me Lord! I believe according to Romans 10: 9,10 that you died on the cross for my sins that you shed your blood for my sins and that you rose from the grave on the third day! I believe you ascended into heaven and are seated at the right hand of the Father! Your Word says Whosoever calls upon the name of the LORD shall be saved! I am calling on you Lord Jesus! Save me! I receive your forgiveness and thank you for writing my name in the Lambs book of Life! I thank you for my salvation and desire to follow you and obey you all the days of my life! I know that when I die I shall be with you in heaven and I thank you for receiving me into your kingdom, Lord Jesus! Thank you, Jesus!

If you've said that prayer and meant it in your heart - the LORD has forgiven you - if you have any unforgiveness in your heart you must ask the LORD for help - tell Him you are willing for Him to forgive that person through you! He will do it! I have seen that become an obstacle for someone before who was needing salvation - which is why I feel compelled to mention it.

We must forgive others if we desire the LORD to forgive us of our sins! I have had to do this myself. Many times! We have to walk in forgiveness and we have to obey the LORD. This is not optional. We all must do it but oh! The rewards of Knowing Christ! Of knowing His protection and the peace of abiding in Him! Nothing can compare to that! Nothing this world has to offer can compare to that.

Now in this first verse I also went to the bible hub link so that we could examine Matthew Henry's commentary for this bible verse because truly there is nothing greater then examining the scriptures line up line and seeing just how powerful the promises of God are for those who love Him! You are going to be blessed! Keep reading!

Psalm 91 1 Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
Parallel Commentaries
Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary91:1-8 He that by faith chooses God for his protector, shall find all in him that he needs or can desire. And those who have found the comfort of making the Lord their refuge, cannot but desire that others may do so. The spiritual life is protected by Divine grace from the temptations of Satan, which are as the snares of the fowler, and from the contagion of sin, which is a noisome pestilence. Great security is promised to believers in the midst of danger. Wisdom shall keep them from being afraid without cause, and faith shall keep them from being unduly afraid. Whatever is done, our heavenly Father's will is done; and we have no reason to fear. God's people shall see, not only God's promises fulfilled, but his threatenings. Then let sinners come unto the Lord upon his mercy-seat, through the Redeemer's name; and encourage others to trust in him also.

Psalms in the Ketuvim portion of the Old Testament is the only book which the Quran mentions is suitable for muslim's to read and believe.

Provided they have access to the original text. ..... :cool:

Verse 2

I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress; my God, in him will I trust.

In this verse we see the believer declaring faith in the LORD. He is my refuge and my fortress! My God! In Him I trust!

This is very important verse because it is declaring our faith in God - we are stating emphatically Jesus is my refuge! Jesus is my fortress! Jesus is my God and in him will I place my trust. I am not placing my trust in myself and my own abilities, I am not placing my trust in man and his abilities, I am placing my trust in God alone. God alone is my refuge and my fortress. God alone is my security. If God be for me who can stand against me? No weapon formed against me shall prosper and every tongue that riseth up against me in judgment I shall condemn for this is the heritage of the LORD and my righteousness is of Him! Amen? Amen! Listen! This is the Word of God! We can trust the Word of God! The Word of God is true! the Word of God is Yea and Amen! The Word of God is our Sword! The Word of God is our Salvation, our healer, our deliverer, our defense, who is the Word of God? Jesus Christ. John 1:14 - look it up. Now let's go to Matthew Henry's commentary and we read that he covers the same definition for verses 1 - 8 so we can look at Gill's Exposition of this verse instead. Here it is...........
Psalm 91 2 I will say of the LORD He is my refuge and my fortress my God in whom I trust.

Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible
I will say of the Lord,.... Or to the Lord (p): these are the words of the psalmist, expressing his faith in the Lord in the following words, taking encouragement from the safety of the godly man above described: the Septuagint, Vulgate Latin, and all the Oriental versions, read, he shall say to the Lord; that is, the man that dwells in the secret place, and under the shadow of the Lord: the Targum is, "David said, I will say to the Lord,'' as follows: he is my refuge: a refuge in every time of trouble, outward or toward; a refuge when all others fail; and is himself a never failing one, a strong refuge, which none can break through and into, and in which all that have fled thither and dwell are safe: and my fortress; what fortifications, natural or artificial, are to a city and its inhabitants, that is God to his people, and much more; he is round about them, as the mountains were about Jerusalem; his salvation are walls and bulwarks to them; yea, he is a wall of fire about them, Psalm 125:2, they are kept by his power, as in a garrison,1 Peter 1:5, my God, in him will I trust; his covenant God, his God in Christ, and who would ever continue so; and was a proper object of his trust and confidence, both as the God of nature, and the God of grace; who is to be trusted in, both for temporal and spiritual blessings, and at all times; to which his lovingkindness, power, and faithfulness, greatly encourage and engage: the Targum is, "in his Word will I trust.''

The book of Psalms never mentions the name Jesus anywhere in the entire text. ...... :cool:
It does so repeatedly. Jesus is LORD. We call Him Lord. David knew him as Lord, so did Isaiah, Malachi, and others who encountered the LORD, Sunni Man. Had you studied the bible you would you know this. Buy a bible and study the Word. You will be blessed. Thanks for reading. Hope you enjoy this thread and that it becomes a life changing experience for you. Sincerely.

Listen to this, Sunni Man! This is my favorite version of this song! The anointing is on this music as they sing you can see they are true worshippers of the Lord. I have encountered the presence of the LORD powerfully before listening to this song! I pray it blesses you!

Psalms in the Ketuvim portion of the Old Testament is the only book which the Quran mentions is suitable for muslim's to read and believe.

Provided they have access to the original text. ..... :cool:

The Psalm I just posted - Psalm 91 is word for word from the King James Version bible - it is the authorized version - same book you were reading from back some months ago when I began typing out the book of Psalms here. You were reading it back then and even told me on the thread you were reading it. Shall I get the thread to remind you or do you remember what you said, Sunni Man?

I am almost finished with the book of Proverbs. I typed out most of Proverbs 30 and have about a chapter and 1/4 to go. The thread is here. I will link that to this thread as well.

Kings and royalty are also referred to as Lord.

But that doesn't make them Jesus.

You evangelical Christians are a laugh riot. ........ :cool:

Actually Jesus is the King of kings and the LORD of lords and the kings and lords He is King and Lord over are the born again believers. We are the ones who are to rule and reign with Jesus Christ. It is written. We are also the ones who shall judge you at the end of time - it is written in the bible. I am wondering why you do not know that, Sunni man. Didn't you say you had read the bible before?

The King James Bible contains a corrupted old English translation of the Jewish version of the Psalms and therefore cannot be trusted as authentic or accurate. ...... :cool:

Last edited:
It is written:
1 Corinthians 6 2 Or do you not know that the Lord s people will judge the world And if you are to judge the world are you not competent to judge trivial cases

Context
Settle Lawsuits among Believers
1Does any one of you, when he has a case against his neighbor, dare to go to law before the unrighteous and not before the saints? 2Or do you not know that the saints will judge the world? If the world is judged by you, are you not competent to constitute the smallest law courts? 3Do you not know that we will judge angels? How much more matters of this life?…

As you can see the born again believers will one day judge the world and not only the world but the angels too, Sunni man. These scriptures are straight out of the bible. The bible says, Let the Word of God be true and every man a liar. The Word of God is truth even when you disagree with it. I need to return back to Psalms 91 now, but thank you for your questions.

Verse 3
Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence.

The snare of the fowler is a trap that is set for small birds - it is a great description of how Satan sets traps for the children of God - It is God who is our deliver. Our God is mighty to save! Mighty to save! In the matter of noisome pestilence - Matthew Henry's commentary describes again Satan's strategies and again that God is our deliverer who delivers us from these things!

Psalm 91 3 Surely he will save you from the fowler s snare and from the deadly pestilence.

New Living Translation describes Pestilence as deadly disease.......

For he will rescue you from every trap and protect you from deadly disease.
This is a powerful promise from God - God is going to rescue the one who abides in Christ - from every trap and from every deadly disease. God is our protector and the lifter of our heads! God is our source in all things. In all things we need to trust in the LORD.

Let's look at the Pulpit commentary for this verse here.........

Pulpit CommentaryVerse 3. - Surely he shall deliver thee. The second speaker takes up the word, and naturally changes the person. Addressing the first speaker, he says - Yes, assuredly, God shall deliver thee from whatever dangers beset thee: as, first, from the snare of the fowler (comp. Psalm 124:7; Proverbs 6:5); and, secondly, from the noisome pestilence(comp. ver. 6), i.e. from all dangers whatsoever - not more from these than from others.

Last edited:
Verse 4

He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shall thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and thy buckler.

I just love this verse so much! King David is so all encompassing in his description of how God protects us! I love this! God shall cover us with his feathers - like a mother hen - God is protecting over his little ones! and under his wings shall we trust. Shall we what? Tremble with fear? No. Worry in doubt of God's ability to keep us? No. Trust in him as a child trusts in a faithful Father? Yes! Trust in Him as God Almighty - able to keep us in all that we encounter? Absolutely! Our God is Mighty to save! His truth shall be our shield and our buckler! The Word of God is your Shield - the Word of God is your faith. Look up Ephesians 6: 12 - 20 and notice that the children of God are told to put on the whole armor of God! Why? To stand in the evil day! Our loins are girt about with the belt of truth! We are to buckle truth around us and keep it there. We are to hold up our shield of Faith and declare the Word of God! It is written! Is the Sword of the Spirit! Our Sword is in our mouths! We declare the Word of God - we speak the Word of God - we Trust in the Word of God - who is the Word of God? Jesus Christ. See John 1: 14

God has promised to keep us in His Word. The Promises of God are yea and Amen. I trust in the LORD and know the LORD is my security. I abide in Him. My trust is in Him alone. Not in man, not in a system, not in other people and their panic attacks - my trust is in the LORD. My God is able! We can trust in Jesus Christ! Believe on the LORD and be saved. Call upon the Lord Jesus Christ and be saved.

Jerimiah,
While I appreciate your fervent presentation, many do not so represent the passages as do you. Nor do many "live" the passages as you represent them. While not Christian, I do attempt to live my life adhering to a "do unto others" dialectic. I appreciate your presentation, and respect your faith. Thank you, most heartily.

Verse 5

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day

I remember a Pastor once saying he has learned that there were 365 Fear nots in the bible. It has been written 365 times! That is one for every single day of the year! 365 times? 365 days? God is trying to tell His people something! Fear not!

It is written: God has not given us a spirit of fear but of power, love and a sound mine.

Satan and his workers are known for creating terror by night - Christians are not to fear any terror - we are the Children of God - we have authority over all the powers of the enemy and his serpents and scorpions - Demons and fallen angels - look at Luke 10: 19!

It is written:
Luke 10 19 I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy nothing will harm you.

Context
The Seventy-Two Return with Joy
18And He said to them, "I was watching Satan fall from heaven like lightning. 19"Behold, I have given you authority to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing will injure you.20"Nevertheless do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rejoice that your names are recorded in heaven."
Alright then! We see that nothing shall by any means harm us. Why? Because we have been given authority to tread on demons, principalities, wicked powers of Satan - how much power do we have over the enemy? ALL. This is what the Believer must realize! When Jesus Christ said, It is finished! He meant it. It is finished! He has given us all power over the enemy!

There are ministries who do not like mentioning the devil as if that would keep him away - there are some who preach a gospel that has a form of godliness but denies the power of God - but the book of Acts shows us that the promise did come - Ye shall receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost! The baptism of the Spirit of God is for us today - we are to walk in the authority God has given us and as His Spirit leads us - do warfare against Satan's kingdom. The Body of Christ is not to be on the defense. We are to be on the offense!

Last edited:
Jerimiah,
While I appreciate your fervent presentation, many do not so represent the passages as do you. Nor do many "live" the passages as you represent them. While not Christian, I do attempt to live my life adhering to a "do unto others" dialectic. I appreciate your presentation, and respect your faith. Thank you, most heartily.

God bless you! I pray for you, Gallantwarrior and believe Gods' best for you. I am committed to praying for you every single day of my life. May God help me to fulfill my vows for prayer. While you may not be a believer yet I believe that you will be and in the meanwhile I am pleading the Blood of Jesus over you to protect you and asking God for a hedge of protection to keep you - I ask God to keep you alive and let no harm come to you and I do that over the people on this board because I believe in the power of prayer and that God will answer my prayers. I trust Him and I know He loves you very much. I had to write down all of your names because there are so many of you. Some weeks ago I had to add more and now I have to condense them on a few pages because there are new people and then some who I already had written down got written down again. So I need to do that this evening - this is me reminding myself of what I need to do!

I read your names off at church meeting I visited - to have a whole congregation agree with me in prayer for all of you and when the Pastor saw how long the list was he said here! You read off all these names! I told my husband he just didn't want to have to read all those names! lol! Bless his heart. I have also gone to the altar before at church meetings to stand in the gap for bloggers on this board who were in need of a miracle - I was believing for them because they didn't believe in God at all! (but in the end I believe they will)

You should see the expressions on some of my prayer partners when I start calling out your names! Oh my gosh - they try not to show it but I know they are just amazed at some of the screen names! Now I shut my eyes so I don't have to see their expressions.

I also believe God put me on this board because I didn't want to write here - I was asked to come over here by a Jewish woman who wanted me to come here and as I know this particular Jewish woman has been repeatedly used by God to speak to me I figured I had better listen to her and I did. (at first I didn't but after awhile I figured I better do it as it was probably God - and it was! )

So even after I leave this board? The prayer list goes with me and I will continue to pray over you all, each day, until God tells me otherwise. I consider this is what God has called me to do and it may not seem like a big ministry to some people but to me it is everything. I want to make sure I do what God wants me to do and that I do not mess it up.

Thanks for your kind words, Gallantwarrior. May the LORD bless you mightily.

Verse 6

Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday.

As I was writing this I noted in my bible the devotional quoted by Charles Spurgeon - it reads:

Guarded by Omnipotence, the chosen of the LORD are always safe, For, as they dwell in the holy place, very near the mercy seat where the blood was sprinkled long ago, they are covered by the pillar of fire by night and the pillar of cloud by day, which continually hangs over the sanctuary. Is it not written: "In the time of trouble he shall hide me in his pavilion; in the secret tabernacle shall he hide me - Psalm 27:5 - What better security can we desire?
-Charles Spurgeon

------------
Think about this for a minute - you Christians, you have children who are out there in the world, some may not even believe in God right now because some atheist came along with some clever argument to confuse their minds in school or college and now they find they can't believe. What do you do? You pray for them continually, fervently, with your heart you pray for them! Right? Right! So this is also true...God has lost lambs who do not know him yet - they are lost and under a cruel taskmaster - Satan - some of them do not have godly parents praying for them - they have got no one to plead their case before heaven - no one to cry out for them and they need an intercessor! So why not look over this board and see who is here and join your heart with the heart of Jesus and begin to pray for these lost lambs by name and continue to do this and believe God for their salvation, their protection, that God will powerfully move upon them to win them to Jesus? Then! I will tell you what will happen! As you have done to others it shall be done unto you - you will find others have begun to pray for your children - your wayward family member and soon you shall see them come in to the family of God - because it is by your interest in Gods concerns that you reach Him about your own! This same thought is applied throughout the gospel. If you give to the poor and come into a desperate time of need your own cries will be heard. If you shut your ears to the poor then your own cries for help in your own time of need will be unheard. Take God literally. God is not out to fool any of us. Just read His Word and take Him literally and keep in mind that the reason he created us in the first place was to have a relationship with us! Imagine that! The God of the Universe - the Creator of heaven and earth wanted a relationship with us!

It makes you think of Psalms 8 doesn't it?

What is man that thou art mindful of him O God?

Truly God is amazing! God is too wonderful to put into words!

Forum List

Back