Pedophilia Deserves Civil Rights, Says New York Times’ Op-ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
If being a pedophile is a treatable condition, why so many repeat offenders? What are the current treatments?

I agree that both sides have been guilty of the worst kind of sexual misconduct but since the OP said this
Just how FUCKED UP MENTALLY, can Liberals get

Tea Party 8216 Patriot 8217 and Founder of Racist Border Militia Facing Child Molestation Charges Video Americans Against the Tea Party

The Shameful Record of Republican Sexual Misconduct

BREAKING NEWS EVIDENCE NOW EMERGING THAT THE CONSERVATIVE WING OF THE REPUBLICAN PARTY IS ON THE FAST TRACK AS A HAVEN FOR SEXUAL PERVERTS AND OTHER SCOUNDRELS - Recovering Liberal

Go here for a long list of Repub pedophiles.

List of Republican Pedophiles

OR - stop pretending that RW have the right to say they are holier than thou and innocent.

The
Explain how you can treat a pedophile, but not a homosexual.

why is more important than the how.

WHY you would want to treat a pedophile is because of the terrible destructiveness of the psyches of the children should a pedophile act upon their urges.

Since homosexuality involves actions between consenting adults, there is no need for treatment, since the actions are not inherently harmful.

You don't believe that adults can have "damaged psyches?" There are adult men who are perfectly capable of damaging the psyche of another adult. Just because two adults "consent" to do something wrong doesn't mean that their psyches aren't adversely affected.

The

WHY you would want to treat a pedophile is because of the terrible destructiveness of the psyches of the children should a pedophile act upon their urges.

Since homosexuality involves actions between consenting adults, there is no need for treatment, since the actions are not inherently harmful.

Agree.

And, from what I've read, there is no such thing as true treatment for a child predator. They are what they are and we need to do everything we can to protect children from them.

The

You don't believe that adults can have "damaged psyches?" There are adult men who are perfectly capable of damaging the psyche of another adult. Just because two adults "consent" to do something wrong doesn't mean that their psyches aren't adversely affected.

But its not up to you to make that judgement.

Ultimately, its simply none of your business.

You probably can "treat" a homosexual. You could "treat" a heterosexual. The question is, should you?

There is a compelling interest in treating someone who has pedophiliac urges, as it might prevent them from offending against a child. A homosexual who acts upon those urges with another consenting adult is not victimizing anyone.

OK....let me try.

This subject requires a bit of maturity and awareness of the facts if it is to be discussed with any purpose.

I heard a lengthy interview with the author of that piece today. She is not suggesting that CHILD MOLESTERS be afforded any type of freedom or benefit. Instead, she is suggesting that non-offending pedophiles be treated like people with a mental illness and not like people who are criminals. So....they can seek out and get treatment BEFORE they offend......thus making the world a little safer for our children.

I, like most here, cannot fathom what goes on in the mind of a person who has pedophilia. It's a foreign concept. My gut reaction is to be repulsed. However, I'm not afraid to consider the possibility that those with this illness can be treated. That is all that the author of the piece was saying.

I understand that most people are unwilling to think beyond the ugly and perverted surface of this topic. It is to be expected.

"Non-offending" pedophile? That's like trying to treat a "non-offending" murderer. The way I see it is this: If a person doesn't commit a crime he or she isn't guilty of a crime. So a non-offending murderer isn't a murderer so there's nothing to "treat." The best way to treat ANY inclination to commit a crime is to refrain from committing it.

Hmmmm..

I know this is complicated. Being a pedophile is not a crime. Being classified as a pedophile does not require the commission of a crime.

You are not a murderer until you commit a murder. If wanting to murder someone or thinking about murdering someone made you a criminal, half of this board would be in jail.

Six of one half a dozen of the other. If you harbor murderous thoughts and feelings then you're just as much a murderer as a non-pedophile is for simply harboring thoughts and feelings of pedophilia.

Oh.....you are a thought crime guy. Got it. Turn yourself in tomorrow, you murderer!

Okay ... so you're a little dull. I can forgive that. But you got it totally wrong. I'm arguing AGAINST the thought crime mentality. That's why I say that a "pedophile" isn't a "pedophile" unless and until he commits the act or attempts to commit the act. Let me know if you understand.

You are wrong. That should be a comfortable status for you. A pedophile becomes a CHILD MOLESTER....SEX OFFENDER....A CRIMINAL once he or she acts. You should learn the meaning of words if you want to parse them.

First, if they have not acted on their pedophilic urges, they should have nothing to fear from the law. If they do act on their perverse desires, they should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Secondly, as I understand the situation, if they seek mental health treatment to overcome their urges, and when they are caught indulging themselves, they are still treated as having mental health issues. Harming children, especially in this particularly heinous and sick manner, is unacceptable.

The point of the article (which shocklingly the far right Daily Caller missed) was not for a "Get out of jail free" card but rather for a treatment of the disorder. Instead of jail time, they receive treatment at a state run mental institution. They get the help they desperately need which they never get in a jail cell. They do their term in a hospital instead of a prison.

It's about thinking of ways to better serve justice for ALL rather than for some. When the person gets release without being treated and the same stimuli are there, they are still a danger to society. The point is to try and solve the underlying issue to prevent Recidivism. We punish but we CORRECT the behavior. Isn't that why we call it the Department of CORRECTIONS? If you don't treat the problem, how do you correct it?

I dont believe they can be treated.

That's cool. Are you a mental health professional?

"Mental Health Professional" is an oxymoron, lol.

Mental health professionals are 100 percent pro-pedophile, see my siggy.
OK....let me try.

This subject requires a bit of maturity and awareness of the facts if it is to be discussed with any purpose.

I heard a lengthy interview with the author of that piece today. She is not suggesting that CHILD MOLESTERS be afforded any type of freedom or benefit. Instead, she is suggesting that non-offending pedophiles be treated like people with a mental illness and not like people who are criminals. So....they can seek out and get treatment BEFORE they offend......thus making the world a little safer for our children.

I, like most here, cannot fathom what goes on in the mind of a person who has pedophilia. It's a foreign concept. My gut reaction is to be repulsed. However, I'm not afraid to consider the possibility that those with this illness can be treated. That is all that the author of the piece was saying.

I understand that most people are unwilling to think beyond the ugly and perverted surface of this topic. It is to be expected.

"Non-offending" pedophile? That's like trying to treat a "non-offending" murderer. The way I see it is this: If a person doesn't commit a crime he or she isn't guilty of a crime. So a non-offending murderer isn't a murderer so there's nothing to "treat." The best way to treat ANY inclination to commit a crime is to refrain from committing it.

Hmmmm..

I know this is complicated. Being a pedophile is not a crime. Being classified as a pedophile does not require the commission of a crime.

You are not a murderer until you commit a murder. If wanting to murder someone or thinking about murdering someone made you a criminal, half of this board would be in jail.

Six of one half a dozen of the other. If you harbor murderous thoughts and feelings then you're just as much a murderer as a non-pedophile is for simply harboring thoughts and feelings of pedophilia.

Oh.....you are a thought crime guy. Got it. Turn yourself in tomorrow, you murderer!

Okay ... so you're a little dull. I can forgive that. But you got it totally wrong. I'm arguing AGAINST the thought crime mentality. That's why I say that a "pedophile" isn't a "pedophile" unless and until he commits the act or attempts to commit the act. Let me know if you understand.

Actually, the term "pedophile" refers to the attraction, I think..not to whether or not they've been convicted.

Hmmmm..

You are wrong. That should be a comfortable status for you. A pedophile becomes a CHILD MOLESTER....SEX OFFENDER....A CRIMINAL once he or she acts. You should learn the meaning of words if you want to parse them.

He's just conflating pedophile with sex offender.

It's not a big deal.

Doesn't civil rights imply a minority group deserves protected status? For example protection FROM being treated. Excluding them from freely associating with children? Limiting employment near or with children?

None of you have sourced a legitimate treatment program that works.

Hmmmm..

Every pedophile I've ever heard of was caught in the act or after the fact. They were always deemed "pedophiles" as a result of their actions. I have no doubt that they had "feelings" of pedophilia prior to acting on those feelings but they aren't guilty of a crime until they act on those feelings. But they don't cease to be pedophiles simply by acting on those feelings.

Doesn't civil rights imply a minority group deserves protected status? For example protection FROM being treated. Excluding them from freely associating with children? Limiting employment near or with children?

None of you have sourced a legitimate treatment program that works.

You should avoid taking thread titles seriously. Civil rights isn't the issue....and...your understanding of what that term means is limited.

Hmmmm..

Every pedophile I've ever heard of was caught in the act or after the fact. They were always deemed "pedophiles" as a result of their actions. I have no doubt that they had "feelings" of pedophilia prior to acting on those feelings but they aren't guilty of a crime until they act on those feelings. But they don't cease to be pedophiles simply by acting on those feelings.

Why not just admit your mistake?

Didn't you know this was going to happen? It is the next natural fight after same sex marriage.
Except that at the last poll, 55%+ of Americans are willing to give same sex marriage a thumbs up in public and I seriously doubt that even the smoothest selling pedophile will ever muster more than a percent or two signing petitions.

The difference is that gay marriage between consenting adults was destined to become mainstream and pedophilia leaves children with scars on the inside and on the outside.

It's apples and oranges to compare the two.

Didn't you know this was going to happen? It is the next natural fight after same sex marriage.
Except that at the last poll, 55+% of Americans are willing to give same sex marriage a thumbs up in public and I seriously doubt that even the smoothest selling pedophile will ever muster more than a percent or two signing petitions.

The difference is that gay marriage between consenting adults was destined to become mainstream and pedophilia leaves children with scars on the inside and on the outside.

It's apples and oranges to compare the two.
Not now. In time. As you point out same sex marriage was once opposed. It still is but you don't hear about it in the media. A little propaganda here and a few pro pedophilia experts there, opinion will be made to appear to change. It will be good for children to have sexual relationships with adults. The same way its good for children to be raised by same sex parents.

Not now. In time. As you point out same sex marriage was once opposed. It still is but you don't hear about it in the media. A little propaganda here and a few pro pedophilia experts there, opinion will be made to appear to change. It will be good for children to have sexual relationships with adults. The same way its good for children to be raised by same sex parents.

'Appear' to change? :eusa_eh:

How deliciously political!

50% + in appearance only will collapse like a house of cards made from smoke and mirrors in less than one election cycle.

Do you really believe that it's possible?

Do you REALLY think that half of the people in this country could hear a sales pitch with an end goal of fucking children and come to a conclusion of "O.k."?

Really?
I'm sorry, but that sounds like a dangerous combination of naivete and stubbornness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back