Pedophilia Deserves Civil Rights, Says New York Times’ Op-ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK....let me try.

This subject requires a bit of maturity and awareness of the facts if it is to be discussed with any purpose.

I heard a lengthy interview with the author of that piece today. She is not suggesting that CHILD MOLESTERS be afforded any type of freedom or benefit. Instead, she is suggesting that non-offending pedophiles be treated like people with a mental illness and not like people who are criminals. So....they can seek out and get treatment BEFORE they offend......thus making the world a little safer for our children.

I, like most here, cannot fathom what goes on in the mind of a person who has pedophilia. It's a foreign concept. My gut reaction is to be repulsed. However, I'm not afraid to consider the possibility that those with this illness can be treated. That is all that the author of the piece was saying.

I understand that most people are unwilling to think beyond the ugly and perverted surface of this topic. It is to be expected.

"Non-offending" pedophile? That's like trying to treat a "non-offending" murderer. The way I see it is this: If a person doesn't commit a crime he or she isn't guilty of a crime. So a non-offending murderer isn't a murderer so there's nothing to "treat." The best way to treat ANY inclination to commit a crime is to refrain from committing it.

OK....let me try.

This subject requires a bit of maturity and awareness of the facts if it is to be discussed with any purpose.

I heard a lengthy interview with the author of that piece today. She is not suggesting that CHILD MOLESTERS be afforded any type of freedom or benefit. Instead, she is suggesting that non-offending pedophiles be treated like people with a mental illness and not like people who are criminals. So....they can seek out and get treatment BEFORE they offend......thus making the world a little safer for our children.

I, like most here, cannot fathom what goes on in the mind of a person who has pedophilia. It's a foreign concept. My gut reaction is to be repulsed. However, I'm not afraid to consider the possibility that those with this illness can be treated. That is all that the author of the piece was saying.

I understand that most people are unwilling to think beyond the ugly and perverted surface of this topic. It is to be expected.

"Non-offending" pedophile? That's like trying to treat a "non-offending" murderer. The way I see it is this: If a person doesn't commit a crime he or she isn't guilty of a crime. So a non-offending murderer isn't a murderer so there's nothing to "treat." The best way to treat ANY inclination to commit a crime is to refrain from committing it.

Hmmmm..

I know this is complicated. Being a pedophile is not a crime. Being classified as a pedophile does not require the commission of a crime.

You are not a murderer until you commit a murder. If wanting to murder someone or thinking about murdering someone made you a criminal, half of this board would be in jail.

OK....let me try.

Hmmmm..

I know this is complicated. Being a pedophile is not a crime. Being classified as a pedophile does not require the commission of a crime.

You are not a murderer until you commit a murder. If wanting to murder someone or thinking about murdering someone made you a criminal, half of this board would be in jail.

Six of one half a dozen of the other. If you harbor murderous thoughts and feelings then you're just as much a murderer as a non-pedophile is for simply harboring thoughts and feelings of pedophilia.

OK....let me try.

Hmmmm..

Six of one half a dozen of the other. If you harbor murderous thoughts and feelings then you're just as much a murderer as a non-pedophile is for simply harboring thoughts and feelings of pedophilia.

Oh.....you are a thought crime guy. Got it. Turn yourself in tomorrow, you murderer!

NY Times guest editorial by an "entrepreneurial law professor"? What the hell is that and what the hell are they teaching in law schools these days?

Explain how you can treat a pedophile, but not a homosexual.

Pedophilia, according to the author, is a recognized mental illness. Homosexuality is not.

Pretty simple.

Homosexuality was considered a mental illness not that long ago.

Is it a mental illness?
A man looking at another man's ass and they get aroused. Yes, that is a mental illness and disgusting.

Pedophilia, according to the author, is a recognized mental illness. Homosexuality is not.

Pretty simple.

Homosexuality was considered a mental illness not that long ago.

Is it a mental illness?
A man looking at another man's ass and they get aroused. Yes, that is a mental illness and disgusting.

Cool story. How can you live with yourself?

The

why is more important than the how.

WHY you would want to treat a pedophile is because of the terrible destructiveness of the psyches of the children should a pedophile act upon their urges.

Since homosexuality involves actions between consenting adults, there is no need for treatment, since the actions are not inherently harmful.

OK....let me try.

Hmmmm..

Oh.....you are a thought crime guy. Got it. Turn yourself in tomorrow, you murderer!

Okay ... so you're a little dull. I can forgive that. But you got it totally wrong. I'm arguing AGAINST the thought crime mentality. That's why I say that a "pedophile" isn't a "pedophile" unless and until he commits the act or attempts to commit the act. Let me know if you understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back