NYT op-ed writer says residents fearful of 'lunatics' on subway should seek 'therapy' for 'imaginary monsters'

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
Did you hear that NY'ers, it's all in your head!

New York Times op-ed contributing writer Elizabeth Spier was shredded on Twitter Monday after she insisted that New York residents complaining about the crime and "half-naked lunatics" on the subway should seek therapy to address the "imaginary monsters" in their heads.

Spiers, a Democrat pollster and professor at NYU's Graduate School of Journalism made the comment in response to a tweet by senior National Review writer Dan McLaughlin, who was weighing in on a larger Twitter debate about gun violence, the country's mental health crisis and the purported differences between a "free" and "polite" society.

nyccrimesdfjfhkhfs.JPG

the nyc subway crime is real

The price of giving up city life for rural life in "Flyover country" -- I can walk in my town at 2:00 AM without feeling intimidated.

No "imaginary monsters" here!

Yeah, but you are forced to live with clean air, little crime, and pleasant neighbors. Who want that?

You wouldn't say that if you knew my next door neighbor.

But, yeah, the other 1,000-and-something folks in my town fit your description.

And all the graffiti in town removes itself, because it comes on the sides of train cars that use our switching station.

As for the clean air -- well, we live fairly close to a couple of sizable cattle ranches.

But otherwise, nothing but wonderful here. Almost zero crime. I'm totally okay with leaving my doors unlocked.

Forum List

Back