Pastor that "cures gays" accused of sexual coercion

Ya, CNN had an interview Sunday with one of his congregants who flatly stated she'd forgive the pastor even if he were guilty. Doesn't matter; there's no shoving this bad kitty back into the box. The conversation about homophobia, christianity and blacks has begun. I wasn't aware these folks were any sort of special problem, but now that we all do know, they're gonna have a harder time clinging to their bigotry.

I about fell over when I read one of MLK's daughter marched against gay marriage. WTF?
It always amazes me when a group of people that was historically discriminated against has no second thoughts about discriminating themselves.

Don't count on it. One thing that is consistent in these cases is that the preacher is always forgiven by his flock.

Negative.
Nope...it is the nature of evangelicalism.

Depends on what you mean. Forgiven as in overlooked and continues in the ministry, negative. Forgiven as in understanding he is a sinner in need of repentance and removed from the ministry, positive. I've been an evangelical Christian for 46 of my 53 years. I think I have a pretty good understanding of how they act and respond to things like this.

Negative.

Depends on what you mean. Forgiven as in overlooked and continues in the ministry, negative. Forgiven as in understanding he is a sinner in need of repentance and removed from the ministry, positive. I've been an evangelical Christian for 46 of my 53 years. I think I have a pretty good understanding of how they act and respond to things like this.
And once repented allowed to continue the ministry...sort of a do as I say not as I do.

And once repented allowed to continue the ministry...sort of a do as I say not as I do.

And you would be wrong in many cases. While I rarely attend church any more, I was heavily involved in church and was literally there every time the doors were opened. My degree is in religion from a Southern Baptist University and I spent a short time in the ministry. I'm also an ordained Deacon. My best friend from college is gay. He is no longer at an SBC church. Until recently, he pastored a church he founded that ministered to the gay and lesbian community. I've sat thru meetings where ministers were confronted about their sexulaity and removed. I also had a trusted youth minister try to touch me as a youth and he was promptly and strongly told no. He left the ministry too and not in a voluntary fashion.

You see Ravi, I have decades of real life experience of how evangelical churches deal with homosexuality and molestation. You have what you read in the media and what you believe. You don't really know what you are talking about.....but you are entitled to your limited opinion.

And you would be wrong in many cases. While I rarely attend church any more, I was heavily involved in church and was literally there every time the doors were opened. My degree is in religion from a Southern Baptist University and I spent a short time in the ministry. I'm also an ordained Deacon. My best friend from college is gay. He is no longer at an SBC church. Until recently, he pastored a church he founded that ministered to the gay and lesbian community. I've sat thru meetings where ministers were confronted about their sexulaity and removed. I also had a trusted youth minister try to touch me as a youth and he was promptly and strongly told no. He left the ministry too and not in a voluntary fashion.

You see Ravi, I have decades of real life experience of how evangelical churches deal with homosexuality and molestation. You have what you read in the media and what you believe. You don't really know what you are talking about.....but you are entitled to your limited opinion.
What part of repented do you not understand? What part of Pastor of a mega church do you not understand?

The obvious lesson we should take away from this incident is that "the gay" is highly contagious. Performing work that involves prolonged exposure to homosexuality causes it to spread among heteros; fine upstanding Evangelicals are its ideal hosts. How lamentable indeed that Satan caused this brave man to succumb to the very disease he was dedicated to eradicating. He is a true martyr.

What part of accused do you not understand, mal?

Why don't you go back to trying to make Elmo out to be a sex-fiend?

Still not allowed to live withing 2 miles of an elementary school I see.

:thup:

So you thought Bill Clinton was a rapist because he was accused of it? Or is it only when people you disagree with are accused that you think it tantamount to conviction?

What part of repented do you not understand? What part of Pastor of a mega church do you not understand?

I have a much greater concept and understanding than you. You may wrong me and then out of true remorse repent. I may even tell you I forgive you. That in no way obligates me to let you once again be in the position to do what you did before in case the temptation becomes to strong for you. Forgiving does not mean forgetting.

Negative.

What, Forgiveness?...

Acknowledgement that Human's are Flawed and Prone to Sin?...

:)

peace...

Interesting. They keep telling us how judgemental and condemnatory Christians are, and NOW we hear that it's our nature to be forgiving of sins and flaws.

I confess myself to once again be confused about the leftist worldview.

So you thought Bill Clinton was a rapist because he was accused of it? Or is it only when people you disagree with are accused that you think it tantamount to conviction?
:lol: I see you also do not know the definition of accused.

Yeah, THAT'S the problem here. It's not that you're a hypocritical, religion-hating bigot, it's that WE all just don't understand how it's right and proper for you to be a hypocritical, religion-hating bigot.

I have a much greater concept and understanding than you. You may wrong me and then out of true remorse repent. I may even tell you I forgive you. That in no way obligates me to let you once again be in the position to do what you did before in case the temptation becomes to strong for you. Forgiving does not mean forgetting.
We shall see what happens in his case. As of now, without him even trying to claim innocence, his church leaders are standing behind him.

And then there is Ted Haggard, out of one job but somehow still a minister. With a flock.

Yeah, THAT'S the problem here. It's not that you're a hypocritical, religion-hating bigot, it's that WE all just don't understand how it's right and proper for you to be a hypocritical, religion-hating bigot.
It is odd that you seem to have decided that this man is guilty. That must be why you are projecting your conviction of him on me.

Have you ever gotten through a day without looking stupid?

We shall see what happens in his case. As of now, without him even trying to claim innocence, his church leaders are standing behind him.

And then there is Ted Haggard, out of one job but somehow still a minister. With a flock.

Yep. There are gullible people everywhere who will believe anything someone tells them. I mean look, the majority of Americans voted for Obama as President.......what does that tell you?

Yep. There are gullible people everywhere who will believe anything someone tells them. I mean look, the majority of Americans voted for Obama as President.......what does that tell you?

That the majority of American voters wanted him for President.

Forum List

Back