Pastor stiffs waitress, waitress gets fired

The pastor or the waitress? Because the Pastor is obviously not Catholic and I see no reason why it matters what the waitress is.
The pastor because lying is a sin. But yeah, I guess she can't be a Catholic.

Since when does it matter to you if she sins by lying? It's never bothered you

If this happened, the guy was being an asshole, but....

If his service sucked, then why should he tip?

The reactions to this are an example of why I hate the whole institutionalized concept of tipping. A tip should be entirely up to the consumer, not some mandated BS because of a large party, not an excuse to pay certain jobs less than minimum wage. The idea has been warped into an addition to the bill rather than a reward for exceptional service.

The pastor because lying is a sin. But yeah, I guess she can't be a Catholic.

Since when does it matter to you if she sins by lying? It's never bothered you
I hope you aren't a Catholic. In case you missed it, lying is a sin.

Lying is a "sin" in the Muslim and Jewish faiths too. I believe the three major faiths have tenets dealing with sin althought they don't all address sin in the same manner. Not all believe in the concept of the original sin but they all believe in sin and repentance.

Last edited:

The reactions to this are an example of why I hate the whole institutionalized concept of tipping. A tip should be entirely up to the consumer, not some mandated BS because of a large party, not an excuse to pay certain jobs less than minimum wage. The idea has been warped into an addition to the bill rather than a reward for exceptional service.

I agree. I have never understood why the diner has to share the burden of the waiter's wages with the owner. Let him pay a fair wage and then I will gladly tip for good service.

In the comments on the post, the person who submitted the image explains that this was just a portion of the total bill for a table of 20, which means the 18% tip is automatically put on the bill.

Why charge 18% on only a portion of the bill? That percentage is suppose to be for the entire bill.

Why did Applebee's cave? Are they like chic fila?

Applebee?s fires waitress who posted receipt from pastor complaining about auto-tip | The Sideshow - Yahoo! News
"I had no intention of starting a witch hunt or hurting anyone. I just wanted to share a picture I found interesting," she said. “I come home exhausted, sore, burnt, dirty and blistered on a good day. And after all that, I can be fired for ‘embarrassing’ someone who directly insults their server on religious grounds.”

The real story - the waitress wasn't worth a shit.

Good for the pastor.

She took the time to serve these people, yet she gets nothing for it. The pastor should be banned from the shop, and people like you should be, too, you ungrateful hack.

I agree. I have never understood why the diner has to share the burden of the waiter's wages with the owner. Let him pay a fair wage and then I will gladly tip for good service.

I agree with that too, but you know what they say...pay the employees more and the employer will have to put the prices up. Which is bullshit.

Why did Applebee's cave? Are they like chic fila?

Applebee?s fires waitress who posted receipt from pastor complaining about auto-tip | The Sideshow - Yahoo! News
"I had no intention of starting a witch hunt or hurting anyone. I just wanted to share a picture I found interesting," she said. “I come home exhausted, sore, burnt, dirty and blistered on a good day. And after all that, I can be fired for ‘embarrassing’ someone who directly insults their server on religious grounds.”

Yes, and the food is just as bad. :D

Guy is just cheap

Hiding behind the lord is pretty classless

Yeah, there is that, too.

Of course if people can use god to justify wars, genocide, etc. it certainly isn't a stretch to figure some guy would use god to justify stiffing a waitress.

Nor is it a stretch for you to use bad christian behavior by some to justify your claim God is just some "sky fairy."

Guy is just cheap

Hiding behind the lord is pretty classless

Of course if people can use god to justify wars, genocide, etc. it certainly isn't a stretch to figure some guy would use god to justify stiffing a waitress.

Nor is it a stretch for you to use bad christian behavior by some to justify your claim God is just some "sky fairy."

I don't believe in the existance of any supernatural 'god.'

This is regardless of the fact that some of those in the clergy act inappropriately.

But the diner has scratched out that tip, writing instead that “I Give God 10% Why do you Get 18″ and adding the word “pastor” above his signature. And instead of leaving a tip that was merely less than the 18%, just wrote a big “0.”

Diner Thinks That Saying He?s A Pastor Allows Him To Stiff Waiter On Tip ? The Consumerist

What would Jesus think?

Jesus would think he was doing what Jesus told him to do and commend him for it. Jesus said to give to God what is God's (10%) and give to Ceasar what is Ceasar's. It's totally up the Pastor what he wants to give. Demanding every customer give 18% is not "giving". That's extortion.

I don't believe in the existance of any supernatural 'god.'

This is regardless of the fact that some of those in the clergy act inappropriately.

What exactly did the Pastor do that was "inappropriate"?

Forum List

Back