The Pastor and the Waitress

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
1. "Applebee's Fires Waitress Who Posted Receipt Of Pastor Who Refused To Tip

2... waitress who posted a receipt online that went viral,....lost her job after the customer, a pastor who left a $0 tip, complained to the manager that the incident had ruined her life.

3.The Applebee's receipt had auto-triggered a suggested 18 percent tip because the pastor, Alois Bell, had more than eight people in her party.

4. But Bell scratched out the suggested tip and wrote "I give God 10 percent, why do you get 18?"

5. The pastor has since expressed regret.
"My heart is really broken,” 37-year-old Bell told The Smoking Gun. “I’ve brought embarrassment to my church and ministry.”

6. Applebee’s told Yahoo! that it apologized to Bell for violating her "right to privacy" and confirmed that Welch “is no longer employed by the franchise."
Welch told Yahoo! that she feels her firing was unfair.

7. .... fired for ‘embarrassing’ someone who directly insults their server on religious grounds.”
Applebee's Fires Waitress Who Posted Pastor Receipt - Business Insider

Pastor,...if you sat down, and the tip policy for groups was evident....pay the 18%.

And, on what insane basis do you compare this waitress to God???

Waitress....posting it on line, withe the private citizen's name clearly visible?? Where is your common sense??
Sure looks like a swell argument in favor of unions: this fool needs someone on her side.

As long as Applebee's is a private establishment, they should set the rules for employment. Bet their legal department required the firing to put some distance between the corporation and a law suit.

Now.....I'd like to see the waitress contact the Pastor, and apologize....and the Pastor 'turn the other cheek,'...and try to have Applebee's rehire the waitress.

Am I a problem solver- or what?

I don't think that anyone should have to tip in the US, simply because I believe employees should earn enough money so as to have no need to require a tip. But that isn't the way things work, so if someone serves you, is pleasant, then they have a right to expect a tip for their services.

To have 8 people in your party and not to tip a cent, is just selfish. The pastor should think about how her actions look to the God to prays to. I doubt it has ruined her life as she claims, but she should explain why she was too tight to help someone out.

“We make $3.50 an hour. Most of my paychecks are less than pocket change because I have to pay taxes on the tips I make. After sharing my tips with hosts, bussers, and bartenders, I make less than $9/hr on average, before taxes. I am expected to portray a canned personality that has been found to be least offensive to the greatest amount of people. I come home exhausted, sore, burnt, dirty, and blistered on a good day. And after all that, I can be fired for ‘embarrassing’ someone who directly insults their server on religious grounds.”
PHOTO VIDEO Pastor Alois Bell who gives God 10 percent but doesn't tip

2... waitress who posted a receipt online that went viral,....lost her job after the customer, a pastor who left a $0 tip, complained to the manager that the incident had ruined her life.

3.The Applebee's receipt had auto-triggered a suggested 18 percent tip because the pastor, Alois Bell, had more than eight people in her party.

4. But Bell scratched out the suggested tip and wrote "I give God 10 percent, why do you get 18?"

"My heart is really broken,” 37-year-old Bell told The Smoking Gun. “I’ve brought embarrassment to my church and ministry.”

6. Applebee’s told Yahoo! that it apologized to Bell for violating her "right to privacy" and confirmed that Welch “is no longer employed by the franchise."

7. .... fired for ‘embarrassing’ someone who directly insults their server on religious grounds.”

Pastor,...if you sat down, and the tip policy for groups was evident....pay the 18%.

Waitress....posting it on line, withe the private citizen's name clearly visible?? Where is your common sense??
Sure looks like a swell argument in favor of unions: this fool needs someone on her side.

As long as Applebee's is a private establishment, they should set the rules for employment. Bet their legal department required the firing to put some distance between the corporation and a law suit.

Now.....I'd like to see the waitress contact the Pastor, and apologize....and the Pastor 'turn the other cheek,'...and try to have Applebee's rehire the waitress.

Common sense is not so common these days.
You are the problem solver!
2 of my kids waited tables in college and the stories they told were unreal.
One of them that amazed me was my oldest worked at an exclusive seafood restaurant in Atlanta and many times people would order a dozen oysters, eat one and then say "yuck, I do not like them" and not want to be charged for them.
And then they would not tip a cent when informed that yes, they had to pay for them.
Just returned from Apalachicola Florida and saw a man and wife drive up in one of those new Mercedes 3500 travel vans, they start at about 95K, sit at the bar and eat 3 dozen oysters fresh shucked in front of them, drink 2 beers a piece with the tab right at $60. They left a $2 tip.
Friends and neighbors, tip your servers well.

I don't think that anyone should have to tip in the US, simply because I believe employees should earn enough money so as to have no need to require a tip. But that isn't the way things work, so if someone serves you, is pleasant, then they have a right to expect a tip for their services.

To have 8 people in your party and not to tip a cent, is just selfish. The pastor should think about how her actions look to the God to prays to. I doubt it has ruined her life as she claims, but she should explain why she was too tight to help someone out.

Tipping in the food industry ensures excellent service should be rewarded and is about the only gauge management has to be certain that his employees are working hard.
Food service is unlike any other industry. A good waiter can make $1000 a week easy in tips in a nice restaurant.

Common sense is not so common these days.
You are the problem solver!
2 of my kids waited tables in college and the stories they told were unreal.
One of them that amazed me was my oldest worked at an exclusive seafood restaurant in Atlanta and many times people would order a dozen oysters, eat one and then say "yuck, I do not like them" and not want to be charged for them.
And then they would not tip a cent when informed that yes, they had to pay for them.
Just returned from Apalachicola Florida and saw a man and wife drive up in one of those new Mercedes 3500 travel vans, they start at about 95K, sit at the bar and eat 3 dozen oysters fresh shucked in front of them, drink 2 beers a piece with the tab right at $60. They left a $2 tip.
Friends and neighbors, tip your servers well.

I can believe that story.

In my experience, those who are not rich are the most consistent tippers.

Rich folks seem to believe that they don't have to.

Maybe they believe the the servers have the honor of serving them. A friend of mine is a pizza driver and he'll tell you the same thing. He's delivered to poor areas and gotten $10-$15 tips and the rich areas give little, if anything.

Maybe they believe the the servers have the honor of serving them. A friend of mine is a pizza driver and he'll tell you the same thing. He's delivered to poor areas and gotten $10-$15 tips and the rich areas give little, if anything.

Yes...
I've heard exactly the same sort of thing.

“We make $3.50 an hour. Most of my paychecks are less than pocket change because I have to pay taxes on the tips I make. After sharing my tips with hosts, bussers, and bartenders, I make less than $9/hr on average, before taxes. I am expected to portray a canned personality that has been found to be least offensive to the greatest amount of people. I come home exhausted, sore, burnt, dirty, and blistered on a good day. And after all that, I can be fired for ‘embarrassing’ someone who directly insults their server on religious grounds.”
PHOTO VIDEO Pastor Alois Bell who gives God 10 percent but doesn't tip

YEARS ago (early 1970's) i waited tables. One Monday night there was only me and one other waitress working....it was close to Christmas and we had a party in one room, and normally only 1 person had to cover the main room. WE GOT SOOOOOO BUSY! Most people were very understanding and tipped ok. I had a table of 10 people that had to wait awhile for their food and they left 8cents! My boss told me i should have followed them out and told them to stick it up their ass (of course i didn't like my boss and he knew it and probably would have fired me! ) My daughter has been a server too and some of her stories! It's really a very hard job....people don't understand that they work for their tips! Of course...my daughter said too that she found that black people are absolutely the worst at tipping! And i'm not being racist....it's the truth!

Forum List

Back