Zone1 Participation Awards.

Do you support Participation Awards.

• Yes in all cases

• No, never

• Yes with kids before middle school

• Yes with kids up to middle school

Results are only viewable after voting.
The government has no place in this. All they offer are band aids.

This is a cultural problem.

Yet the whole reason for the thread is the Govt wanting to outlaw them.

Are you opposed to finisher medals at marathons? Are they part of the cultural problem?

No problem. I'm more concerned about messages sent to kids.

Life isn't black or white.

As am I.

I think it is fine message to a 6 year old that there can be some reward just in the effort of trying something out and sticking with it for a season.

A middle schooler or above not so much.

Yes.

And at the end of the 6 year old soccer season they all get a ribbon or trophy in recognition that they made the team and completed the season. Yet the lawmakers of NC would outlaw this for some odd reason.
That's not the way I remember it.

Perhaps it's different today, but when I was a kid, your parents paid $25 to the Rec Department and you were on the team...no matter how badly you sucked.

As am I.

I think it is fine message to a 6 year old that there can be some reward just in the effort of trying something out and sticking with it for a season.

A middle schooler or above not so much.
Reasonable people can disagree on that.

The school teams are going to be very competitive and only want the best players. But that cuts out a lot of kids who would benefit from playing sports against people of similar abilities. I see nothing wrong with their having their own league where parents pay for them to play. Nor anything wrong with rules like everyone gets to pay the same amount of time, and everyone gets a trophy.

Your main point is spot on, if I understand it. It is absurd for a state legislature to make that decision for private organizations.

Meddling douchebags who think they should have a say in how other people raise their kids. The "village" should its own business.

That's not the way I remember it.

Perhaps it's different today, but when I was a kid, your parents paid $25 to the Rec Department and you were on the team...no matter how badly you sucked.

Pretty much the same now for small kids. I do not see this as a bad thing.

Forum List

Back