On The 'Standardized Tests' Battlefront!

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
1. “"The Greatest Generation" is a term coined by journalist Tom Brokaw to describe the generation[1] who grew up in the United States during the deprivation of theGreat Depression, and then went on to fight in World War II, as well as those whose productivity within the war's home front made a decisive material contribution to the war effort.”
Greatest Generation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We’ll never see their like again. Why? From a student:
“Dear Reading DCAS,
Why do you have to be hard? I know I do your tests in the beginning, middle, and end of the year. But doing 55 questions in 3 days is a lot. We have to take our time to get a good score, otherwise we might get a 1 and that’s not good. Can we see what questions we dot right and what questions we got wrong at the end of the test? So that way we can understand why we got whatever we got wrong was wrong. I think that could help us a lot. How about that idea for next year? It really could help. Otherwise DCAS has to be THE WORST THING EVER!!!”
Diary of a Public School Teacher!

2. And this:
Monday, April 23, 2012
The past week has been a nightmare for New York students, their teachers and their principals
The past week has been a nightmare for New York students in Grades 3 through 8, their teachers and their principals. Not only were the New York State ELA exams too long and exhausting for young students, (three exams of 90 minutes each), they contained ambiguous questions that cannot be answered with assurance, problems with test booklet instructions, inadequate space for students to write essays, and reading comprehension passages that defy commonsense. …students were mechanically ‘filling in bubbles’ due to exhaustion…”
NYC Public School Parents

3. “In his recent State of the State address, Governor Cuomo said he wants to be an advocate for children. Let him lobby to protect their natural curiosity and love of learning from the onslaught of anti-intellectual, ends-oriented teaching practices forced on our educators by over-emphasis on standardized tests.” Dear Governor: Lobby to Save a Love of Reading

4. Now, truth be told, I am a firm believer in tests, and in testing.

a. There is no doubt that education, nationally, is not giving the result that I would wish.
b. Tests serve as a window into the problems.
c. “Teaching to the test” is deplored in education circles, although that complaint is easily answered: if the test faithfully mirrors the skills and knowledge set out in the standards, then preparing one’s pupils to ace such a test is an honorable mission!” Chester E. Finn, Jr. Former Assistant Secretary of Education, “Troublemaker.”
d. Both challenges and competition prepare one for life.

5. But the purpose of this essay is not to convince any who have an alternate view of tests and testing….rather it is to empower. The answer is both simple and efficacious. Vouchers.
The funds dedicated to education should go where the child goes, and the child goes to the kind of institution chosen by the parents. Like testing? Send your scion to a school that believes as you do. No tests….your choice, as is the school. Unschool? Homeschool? Religious School. Local school. Your free choice.

That’s the conservative view....everything is political.
Everything.

Just because tests are standardised does not mean they are not stupid.

Are they designed to create standardised stupidity among people who think they are smart because they conform?

psik

Are they designed to create standardised stupidity among people who think they are smart because they conform?

psik

No....they are designed to detect inadequacies....

...some in students, some in teachers.....

In 23 states the results are included in the evaluation of the teachers.

psik

So where is the evidence that these tests have accomplished something useful besides make money for the test creators?

psik

psik

So where is the evidence that these tests have accomplished something useful besides make money for the test creators?

psik

Now, sikky...you know better than to use a non sequitur like that.

Once the inadequacies are laid bare, there is no direct line to their remediation.

Hold students back?

Fire teachers and administrators?

Change curricula?

There are roadblocks at ever level for every cure...

But some things are blowing in the wind:

"11:16 p.m. | Updated After about an hour of discussion, the Panel for Educational Policy voted Thursday night to close 18 city schools and remove the middle school grades from 5 more.

As expected, the panelists, most of whom were appointed by Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg, voted to approve all the school closing recommendations. The representatives for Manhattan, Queens, the Bronx and Brooklyn voted against most of the closing proposals.

The representative for Staten Island voted with the mayor’s block, except for the proposal to close P.S. 14, the first school to be recommended for closing in her borough."
The School-Closing Vote

Being in the midst of 'standardized testing, I can sadly say most of the 7th and 8th graders being tested really don't care about test results or try on the tests.

They have no reward at this level and know the only ones held accountable are the teachers and the school. They don't take testing seriously, only as a break from regular classes.

As far as teacher evaluations being tied to test scores:

If teachers knew their job security was tied to the work ethic of 13 and 14 year olds they probably wouldn't have taken the job.

Would you?

Being in the midst of 'standardized testing, I can sadly say most of the 7th and 8th graders being tested really don't care about test results or try on the tests.

They have no reward at this level and know the only ones held accountable are the teachers and the school. They don't take testing seriously, only as a break from regular classes.

If teachers knew their job security was tied to the work ethic of 13 and 14 year olds they probably wouldn't have taken the job.

Would you?

"I can sadly say most of the 7th and 8th graders being tested really don't care about test results or try on the tests."

Mine does.

Would you?

How many of them cry unfair when they get a low score?

"Making the grade: NJ to make high school tests harder
Posted on April 30, 2012 by Jason Method
TRENTON – Gov. Chris Christie and state education officials announced today that New Jersey would begin implementing tougher high school examinations as early as next year.

Although students will not be required to pass the new tests in order to obtain a diploma for four years, the regime will usher in an era whereby students will need to meet more rigorous standards to graduate from high school."
Making the grade: NJ to make high school tests harder | Capitol Quickies

psik

Taking the tests doesn't necessarily accomplish anything, as far as individual students are concerned, at the moment when those students take the test.

However, at a systemic level, the tests provide an annual snapshot of the effectiveness of existing teaching methods, and can also help districts pinpoint individual schools and classrooms where learning isn't occurring. The tests can help a district make a case, over time, using substantive data that otherwise would be hard to gather, to get rid of an ineffectual teacher. The tests can help a district institute a merit system to reward teachers in struggling schools who do an exceptionally good job at engaging students in learning. The tests can be utilized to pinpoint schools where additional teachers and/or personnel are needed to address gaps in learning. For example, in some school districts, there are schools where considerably more than half of all the students in the school are below basic minimums in math, reading, science or all 3. Knowing which schools these are can help the district administrators allocate resources to solve that problem, and/or replace personnel who aren't having success.

Having said that...the tests can definitely be gamed: Cheating in Houston,Texas: School Administrators are Implicated in the Scandal Over TAKs Test Scores

For instance, administrators at specific school campuses in Houston, Texas were gaming the test, which is taken in the 10th grade in Texas. These administrators made policy decisions to hold back as much as 50% of the freshman class in their school and/or refer low-performing 10th graders to alternative schools prior to testing. By keeping the worst performers from taking the test, these administrators were able to artificially raise the school's overall test grade by as much as 50-75% in 2-3 years. Some of these administrators were promoted, because district personnel weren't checking the test scores against the school's demographic data.

But, having said that, it's really hard to game the math/reading/science pieces of the test, as long as 99% of the students at a school are tested (and requirements in this regard have gotten stricter in most districts as a result of instances of gaming the test). If kids at the school are learning math adequately, they'll perform well on the test.

I don't really have a problem with standardized testing. It tests memorization of basic concepts, and in elementary and middle school, memorization is an extremely important component of education. Once you've memorized the foundational elements, students can be more creatively challenged in their teens as their thinking becomes more highly developed.

PC- I am sad to say that my province (BC) has made grade 12 provincial exams voluntary. unfortunately this has made it economically unfeasible to continuously update and verify new exams, which were so highly respected that they were sold around the world. we have stupidly thrown away the means of comparing decades of previous students to present and future one.

some people bring up student enthusiasm in test taking as a reason to ignore testing. do those people think that kids were more dedicated in the past? kids learn because they want to, or not. finding out how well we are training those who are interested is valuable information, and necessary to decide who gets scarce resources in higher education for STEM. and down in the States you guys have the SAT and ACT that also identifies those that have the capability, if not the desire, to do well educationally.

Would you?

"I can sadly say most of the 7th and 8th graders being tested really don't care about test results or try on the tests."

Mine does.

Wonderful. I'd love to be held only accountable for those that do actually try. Unknown to legislatures, there is no way to control those that don't care.

There is little to do when school starts and I inherit many 8th graders that read on a 3rd grade level. Of course they aren't going to pass a standardized test for 8th graders, but I am to be held accountalbe for their failure?

That is the way it is now...

Would you?

How many of them cry unfair when they get a low score?

If they start the year with a large number of students reading on a level several years below the grade they are now in, all the teachers will cry 'unfair' because it is.

[quote by catzmeow]However, at a systemic level, the tests provide an annual snapshot of the effectiveness of existing teaching methods, and can also help districts pinpoint individual schools and classrooms where learning isn't occurring. The tests can help a district make a case, over time, using substantive data that otherwise would be hard to gather, to get rid of an ineffectual teacher. The tests can help a district institute a merit system to reward teachers in struggling schools who do an exceptionally good job at engaging students in learning. The tests can be utilized to pinpoint schools where additional teachers and/or personnel are needed to address gaps in learning. For example, in some school districts, there are schools where considerably more than half of all the students in the school are below basic minimums in math, reading, science or all 3. Knowing which schools these are can help the district administrators allocate resources to solve that problem, and/or replace personnel who aren't having success.

Save all the breath you used on that mumbo jumbo. I can look at the socioeconomic conditions of the people in the neighborhoods of schools and tell you within seconds where the test scores are.

No doubt you can also.

If you can come up with a formula that makes kids see farther than their nose, that alone would convince them being educated is more valuable than a trip to the mall or owning the latest cell phone.

Another path to better test scores (if that's what we want) would be to simply shut down all schools that try to serve low socioeconomic groups and only test the schools that have middle and upper middle class students. That would create other problems, but it would cure the test score problem.

This pattern is nationwide, not just in a small isolated pocket. You don't treat a sore throat by massaging the feet and expect a cure do you?
The rational way would be to isolate the problem and then direct treatment to that area, not blame the doctors for the sickness. Teachers can sometimes heal the sick but they can't raise the dead.

Why is this deal with socioeconomics constantly overlooked? Instead of calling teachers that work in these lower schools failures we should be giving them hazard pay. If you don't believe so then it's obvious you've never been in one of these schools.

[quote by catzmeow]However, at a systemic level, the tests provide an annual snapshot of the effectiveness of existing teaching methods, and can also help districts pinpoint individual schools and classrooms where learning isn't occurring. The tests can help a district make a case, over time, using substantive data that otherwise would be hard to gather, to get rid of an ineffectual teacher. The tests can help a district institute a merit system to reward teachers in struggling schools who do an exceptionally good job at engaging students in learning. The tests can be utilized to pinpoint schools where additional teachers and/or personnel are needed to address gaps in learning. For example, in some school districts, there are schools where considerably more than half of all the students in the school are below basic minimums in math, reading, science or all 3. Knowing which schools these are can help the district administrators allocate resources to solve that problem, and/or replace personnel who aren't having success.

Save all the breath you used on that mumbo jumbo. I can look at the socioeconomic conditions of the people in the neighborhoods of schools and tell you within seconds where the test scores are.

No doubt you can also.

If you can come up with a formula that makes kids see farther than their nose, that alone would convince them being educated is more valuable than a trip to the mall or owning the latest cell phone.

Another path to better test scores (if that's what we want) would be to simply shut down all schools that try to serve low socioeconomic groups and only test the schools that have middle and upper middle class students. That would create other problems, but it would cure the test score problem.

This pattern is nationwide, not just in a small isolated pocket. You don't treat a sore throat by massaging the feet and expect a cure do you?
The rational way would be to isolate the problem and then direct treatment to that area, not blame the doctors for the sickness. Teachers can sometimes heal the sick but they can't raise the dead.

Why is this deal with socioeconomics constantly overlooked? Instead of calling teachers that work in these lower schools failures we should be giving them hazard pay. If you don't believe so then it's obvious you've never been in one of these schools.

I have more faith in parents than in the educrats.

Divide the education budget by the number of children, allow that amount as a voucher to be assigned by the parent to a school of their choice.

Tests of the students to identify the weak schools...and take appropriate measures with same.

And...no longer require teaching licenses....allow the schools to set the requirements....

Last edited:

psik

But, having said that, it's really hard to game the math/reading/science pieces of the test, as long as 99% of the students at a school are tested (and requirements in this regard have gotten stricter in most districts as a result of instances of gaming the test). If kids at the school are learning math adequately, they'll perform well on the test.

I find it curious that science fiction was being mentioned as a useful factor for education in the late 50s.

Science fiction as a factor in science education - Gross - 2006 - Science Education - Wiley Online Library

For me science fiction made science more interesting than the science teachers. But it needs to be good stories with SOME REAL SCIENCE.

And yet it seems to be little used today. If anything the science has been watered down and the genre taken over by the literary crowd.

psik

Last edited:

Why should they?

Regardless of their score, they are entitled to at least 4 more years of free education, and in some cases free or reduced lunch. They have also been conditioned to believe thaey are entitled to attend college, regardless of their academic success. Finally, they have been conditioned to believe they will be entitled to a job, regardless of having any marketable knowledge or skills.

Everyone acknowledges that the medical boards (USMLE) is not a good indicator of ability as a physician.

The thing is, there really isn't any other way to compare medical education.

Would you?

I taught those grades for over a decade, the kids cared how they scored. I didn't need to teach to the test, my lesson plans were grounded in standards and I used best practices. About 10 days before the test I made sure the kids knew they were coming up, in the last 2 years it was easy, they came up at the beginning of October, which I hated as the 6th graders I'd only taught for a month and a half.

However, all I did was explain to the kids that these tests were important to rating of school and their teachers. However they were more important to them, as the high schools would be looking at their scores, grades, attendance, and tardies to help evaluate the best placement for them. If 'you are thinking of a private high school, the test scores are even more important, as they factor those into accept or not, much like colleges do with ACT and SAT.

I also explained that their grades counted more than these tests, for schools and for predicting how they would perform in the future. I told them the best practices tips and that I'd send the lists home to their parents the Friday before the test. My students consistently scored higher than predicted. As I said, I never taught to the test. I do think though that while my 'teaching' helped, my 10-15 minutes with the students and the letter home to the parents did more:

While these are generally good rules, please heed them during testing week:

1. Get pencils sharpened, have at least 3. Do this before going to bed. Pack your snack too, have backpack ready to go. Get to school on time, test begins 20 minutes after last bell, you will not be allowed into room after that.

2. Get in bed by 9, 8:30 if you have trouble sleeping. No TV, no texting, etc. Go to sleep, the more rest you have, the better you will do.

3. Eat something, healthy. Toast will do, but better if you add some peanut butter. Cereal or eggs would be good, if you can.

4. Remember: Only healthy snacks will be allowed. No chips, pop, etc. Cheese, crackers, veggies and dip, fruit alone or with dip. Nuts are good, so is yogurt. Juices and water are fine, energy drinks not. If your 'snack' is out of compliance, it will be tossed or put into lunch bag. You will do without the snack.

Moving away from 'personal planning' to 'test taking':

1. Read and follow directions, don't try to 'read ahead' and start early. You'll likely make mistakes and worse, probably be caught.

2. For any sections that require reading and then answers, i.e., reading comprehension, science, social studies: read the questions first, don't waste time by reading answer choices, concentrate on the questions. This will help you read for meaning during the excerpt. You'll know where to focus your thought processes.

3. Nearly always your first choice answer is best, if really in doubt make a faint question mark or something to tell yourself to go back, IF you have time. Don't be quick to change answers. Go onto the next if something is too hard, again make a mark and deal with it, IF time allows.

4. Just do your best and use all the time allowed. Some people really do have problems with taking tests, if that's the issue and somehow your test scores are out of whack of your grades, that will be clear to any high school counselor. Remember, I and the other middle school teachers meet with them regarding placement. We also write letters of recommendation for students applying to private high schools, if you've worked hard, all you need to do is ask. No test determines your future, you do.

5. Relax. Yes, all of us want you all to score perfectly, probably your parents most of all. It doesn't happen on these test, they are not SAT or ACT. They give lots of folks a snapshot of your performance on different test over a course of a week. They are ONLY a snapshot. If you've done your best, no one, especially yourself can claim you could have done better.

Forum List

Back