Breaking News: Romney sides with Obama against Ryan

Discussion in 'Education' started by rdean, Apr 23, 2012.

1. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,001
    “I fully support the effort to extend the low interest rate on student loans,” Romney said at a joint news conference with Florida Senator Marco Rubio. “There was some concern that that would expire halfway through the year, and I support extending the temporary relief on interest rates for students as a result of student loans, obviously, in part because of the extraordinarily poor conditions in the job market.”

In publicly breaking with his own party, Romney is taking away a potential wedge issue for President Obama’s campaign — and giving hope to Democrats that they may find new momentum for the legislation [to extend the rates]. The deadline for the current, low interest rates to expire is July 1…

Republicans oppose the bill in part on the grounds that it isn’t paid for…

Asked whether House Republican leadership would get behind Courtney’s bill, given Romney’s comments, a spokesman for Speaker John Boehner was non-committal.

Romney sides with Obama in supporting extension of low student-loan rates

Remember, Ryan wants to cut 175 billion from Pell Grants.

Is this Romney's first "etch a sketch" moment?

We are the ONLY country in the world that makes it harder to go to school and get an education. Because, as all Republicans know, "Education is for snobs".

2. Katzndogz

Katzndogz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,337
    Extending low interest rates on existing student loans does mean the same thing as granting additional Pell Grants. One is existing loans, one is who will get new loans.

3. old navy

old navy <<< Action Figures

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Dang, I think I'll vote for Romney now.

4. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,001
    What loans? Ryan's budget cuts 175 billion from Pell Grants. Do you think Republicans want to support loans for college students? Santorum said education is for snobs. Republicans want to get rid of the dept of Education which oversees loans.

Republicans think colleges and universities are hotbeds of secularism and liberalism and should be shut down.

This is the only country in the world where government makes it harder to get an education. Republicans don't want this country educated. They want stupid sheeple they can imprint with their ridiculous talking points.

5. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,001
  6. Star

Star Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,016

I've been remiss on keeping my scorecard up to date --- could you bring me up to speed on whether this is a Romney flip or Romney flop or-----or is this another Romney flip-flop then flip back. Geez, I need to update my scorecard more often -- my bad.

7. MeBelle

MeBelle Mebellien Mothership © Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,151
  8. sealybobo

sealybobo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,203
    This is all part of the plan Rdean

The trap Democrats are laying for Mitt Romney - The Plum Line - The Washington Post

9. sealybobo

sealybobo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,203
    In each case, the obvious general election position for Romney to take would be with the Democrats. If there were no cost, Romney would probably like to distance himself from unpopular Congressional Republicans. But there’s a lot of risk involved. Even with the nomination wrapped up, he still needs at least tacit support from major party factions.

First up: The student loan rate extension. Romney has already committed to Barack Obama’s position on this one, but House Republicans are reluctant to go along.

Next: The Violence Against Women Act, where Republicans in Congress have objected to reauthorization if modest Democratic changes are included.

And after that, the Senate will be taking up the “Paycheck Fairness” bill, which covers discrimination against equal pay for women.

Each of these is apt to be highly popular, and yet in each case Congressional Republicans are expected to oppose the bills as proposed.

Who will Romney side with?

10. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    He said that? How outrageous! That's it, I'm not voting for him.

*Sarcasm off*