Obama Pushing for Federal Cell Phone Tracking

lol....if this was bush proposing this, the libs would be frothing at the mouth

instead, we have rational minds trying to "understand" it

it never ceases to amaze how partisan we are. i am not innocent in this, it just simply is amazing. i had a friend tell me a couple of years to watch what happens when a dem is elected. they will do many of the same things as bush and the dems, instead of whining or fighting it, will agree with it.

i seriously cannot believe teh lack of outrage on this issue from dems.

Oh stuff a sock in it, Yurt. Stand back and look at it objectively if you can. You should see the arguments on both sides. It's basic.

I don't like it - AT ALL. But it is a good question. Why not argue it? Stop sniping from the stands, pick a side and have at it already. :D

you know i am right, stop being so defensive....the bush fisa, wiretapping etc threads were full of righeous indignation, but this thread, hardly a peep

Right about what? I have no dog in the partisan fight, I couldn't care less. I was inviting you to get off your high horse and into a discussion on the thread topic - which apparently has drifted off course anyway. If you want to be full of it and pretend you're all above the fray, knock yourself out. :lol:

Ohh we will not ban cell phones even if it is shown they cause brain tumors in humans.

Another topic with a lot of questions.
The first cell phones that ran up to 6 watts of power were NOT safe. They ran at frequencies that cause more molecular heating, tissues, than one would believe, around 900Mhz. The same frequencies used by the early Microwave ovens that deep cooked a turkey in no time.
The frequencies used in cell phones today are higher for the most part than 900Mhz but the power levels are very low.

The intensity per watt/cm (cubed) that cell phones used today produce, even at the at the short distance, proximity, is not enough, imho, to cause any, if at all, molecular heating of any tissue, including (brain cells).

There are still many like those Econuts, that insist cell phones are dangerous to our health. If that's the case, shut down every Radio/TV and all devices that emit RF,(radio frequency) energy period. If that occured, I'd give them 20 minutes, they'd be out campaigning some other nonsense.

I was against the Patriot act from the frist.
I was and still am in the minority on this.

I didn't like it either. Anyone that considers themselves a conservative and actually knows the definition of that label would be against it as well.

That's it in a nutshell! Today we have people claiming the moniker 'conservative' whose political philosophies make them anything but.

Relax.

All you have to do is buy an anonymous prepaid phone. Just don't be stupid and pay for it with a credit card.

Where are all the Dem protests about this?

Oh wait.. not that big a deal.. Obama is one of their guys.

I don't see what difference it makes at this point. Technology has the capability of tracking every keystroke we make that goes out over the Internet, which is much more dangerous territory. They can listen to my phone conversations whenever they desire and I can guarantee they'll be bored to tears.

I didn't like it either. Anyone that considers themselves a conservative and actually knows the definition of that label would be against it as well.

I'd be curious to know if there's a fact sheet or database somewhere that lists the criminal and/or terrorist plots that were prevented from being carried out as a result of provisions of the Patriot Act. Think I'll start looking, because I think it would be helpful in deciding whether it was worth all the agony over its passage. All I can find so far is an article from the LA Times.

The Patriot Act: Does it actually work? - latimes.com

I'd be curious to know if there's a fact sheet or database somewhere that lists the criminal and/or terrorist plots that were prevented from being carried out as a result of provisions of the Patriot Act. Think I'll start looking, because I think it would be helpful in deciding whether it was worth all the agony over its passage. All I can find so far is an article from the LA Times.

So your going on a, the ends justifies the means, hunt? Conceding your Constitutional rights first? Most of the ones caught seem to leave a big trail. Our ability to see the visible trail seems to be the problem.

lol....if this was bush proposing this, the libs would be frothing at the mouth

instead, we have rational minds trying to "understand" it

it never ceases to amaze how partisan we are. i am not innocent in this, it just simply is amazing. i had a friend tell me a couple of years to watch what happens when a dem is elected. they will do many of the same things as bush and the dems, instead of whining or fighting it, will agree with it.

i seriously cannot believe teh lack of outrage on this issue from dems.

With the exception of invading Iraq, I had no serious objections to any of the counterterrorism measures put in place by the Bush Administration, even the color-coded "alerts." The drumbeat in the aftermath of 911 was for every person to be vigilant so the more reminders of that the better.

Two years ago, when the FBI was stymied by a band of armed robbers known as the "Scarecrow Bandits" that had robbed more than 20 Texas banks, it came up with a novel method of locating the thieves.

FBI agents obtained logs from mobile phone companies corresponding to what their cellular towers had recorded at the time of a dozen different bank robberies in the Dallas area. The voluminous records showed that two phones had made calls around the time of all 12 heists, and that those phones belonged to men named Tony Hewitt and Corey Duffey. A jury eventually convicted the duo of multiple bank robbery

Seems like good police work. I have no problem with it

For me taking some of our freedoms let the terrorists win without a fight. The Patriot Act had and has some serious problems with the Constitution. The irony is, a terrorist or labeled terrorist will have to challenge it in court for us to get our rights back.

With telephones you used to have party lines and private lines. It was pretty obvious what was public and what was private. A cell phone is not a shared communications source or receiver. It deserves protection from random checks.

It seems law enforcement wants to take the easy way regardless of any Constitutional infringements. Personally, I say do away with cell phones. They seem to harm business more than help, as employees conduct personal conversations all day long. It is a distraction for drivers. Kids ignore parents calls. I have watched people eat out and talk the entire meal to someone not even there.

If they're not texting, or talking, then they're snapping photographs or making mini-videos to post on YouTube. (Hey, maybe THAT'S the reason the feds want to be able to confiscate cell phones. A picture is worth a thousand words.)

Two years ago, when the FBI was stymied by a band of armed robbers known as the "Scarecrow Bandits" that had robbed more than 20 Texas banks, it came up with a novel method of locating the thieves.

FBI agents obtained logs from mobile phone companies corresponding to what their cellular towers had recorded at the time of a dozen different bank robberies in the Dallas area. The voluminous records showed that two phones had made calls around the time of all 12 heists, and that those phones belonged to men named Tony Hewitt and Corey Duffey. A jury eventually convicted the duo of multiple bank robbery

Seems like good police work. I have no problem with it

After the fact investigation with court orders to make the search. The police should have been given only access to the results of the search, not all the calls made at that time. Still a bit of a problem with no specified suspect(s).

I don't see what difference it makes at this point. Technology has the capability of tracking every keystroke we make that goes out over the Internet, which is much more dangerous territory. They can listen to my phone conversations whenever they desire and I can guarantee they'll be bored to tears.

And yet when it was Bush doing it you were all up in arms and screaming bloody murder. Go figure.

So your going on a, the ends justifies the means, hunt? Conceding your Constitutional rights first? Most of the ones caught seem to leave a big trail. Our ability to see the visible trail seems to be the problem.

I think in this dangerous age of terrorism coming at us from all angles, we need to be willing to give up some "Constitutional" privacy in order to save lives. Somehow I think the founders would agree.

For me taking some of our freedoms let the terrorists win without a fight. The Patriot Act had and has some serious problems with the Constitution. The irony is, a terrorist or labeled terrorist will have to challenge it in court for us to get our rights back.

News flash: The type of terrorists we're dealing with couldn't care less about our Constitutional rights. Islamic fundamentalists don't hate us because of our freedom; they hate us because of our decadent lifestyle and perceived arrogant imperialism.

And yet when it was Bush doing it you were all up in arms and screaming bloody murder. Go figure.

No, I wasn't. Stop lumping everyone who opposes your political ideology into one box.

I don't know which one is worse Tom Tancredo trying to make people take literacy tests before they vote or Obama working together with my phone company to listen to what I talk to people about and where I am while I'm talking after 9pm when my phone service is free.

I'm seriously tired of both parties. As for public outrage, those of you conservatives that want us "Obama voters" to show outrage, let me know if there's any demonstrations regarding this in the DC area. If there is, hit me up and I'll be there. If not, shut the Hell up.:eusa_angel:

There's no left or right here, there are two thought processes at work. One group that fears a terrorist network that's been able to attack us successfully on our soil twice in history. One group that fears people having more and more absolute power and control over our daily activities and personal lives in the name of "security".

So...

Last edited:

News flash: The type of terrorists we're dealing with couldn't care less about our Constitutional rights. Islamic fundamentalists don't hate us because of our freedom; they hate us because of our decadent lifestyle and perceived arrogant imperialism.

Good. But personally I could care less about what those type of terrorists could care less about. I'M very concerned about MY constitutional rights, and I'M personally far less afraid of "terrorists" then I am of loosing those constitutional rights.

It makes me wonder what the Hell is the point of fighting to protect our "freedoms" and our "way of life" if those "freedoms" are the very thing that we're loosing in the process of fighting. Serious question. How far are we going to slip into fascism while rationalizing it by saying "atleast we're not as bad as those arab countries"? Since when did Islamo-fascism become the standard by which we measured how "free" we are? Just some thoughts.

Forum List

Back