Obama Pushing for Federal Cell Phone Tracking

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
Welcome to George Bush's third term. It seems Obama has warmed up quite nicely to the neocon policies of the previous administration.

Even though police are tapping into the locations of mobile phones thousands of times a year, the legal ground rules remain unclear, and federal privacy laws written a generation ago are ambiguous at best. On Friday, the first federal appeals court to consider the topic will hear oral arguments (PDF) in a case that could establish new standards for locating wireless devices.

In that case, the Obama administration has argued that warrantless tracking is permitted because Americans enjoy no "reasonable expectation of privacy" in their--or at least their cell phones'--whereabouts. U.S. Department of Justice lawyers say that "a customer's Fourth Amendment rights are not violated when the phone company reveals to the government its own records" that show where a mobile device placed and received calls.

Those claims have alarmed the ACLU and other civil liberties groups, which have opposed the Justice Department's request and plan to tell the U.S. Third Circuit Court of Appeals in Philadelphia that Americans' privacy deserves more protection and judicial oversight than what the administration has proposed.

Feds push for tracking cell phones | Politics and Law - CNET News

I some how doubt the signers of the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence would have agreed there is no reasonable expectation of privacy.

Welcome to George Bush's third term. It seems Obama has warmed up quite nicely to the neocon policies of the previous administration.

Originally, I was strongly against this.

However, over the past year, I have thought about it more and more, and now I am 100% in favor of it.

I think it is a GREAT idea! GO BARACK!!!

Why not just give all of us citizens GPS tracking implants with audio and be done with it.

Gonna happen in the future and nothing gonna stop it. All in the name of "Health & Safety" of course not to forget "Homeland Security"......it's all for "Our Good"....."trust us" they say.

This sort of thing (warrantless) was a bad idea when it came from the GOP. It's an even worse idea coming from the Dems.

We must give up freedoms to be kept safe from terrorists!

Or so the story has gone for years.

Why don't we all just sign a pledge to be good. And if you were to violate that pledge, then you'd get fined.

That MIGHT WORK, But, Be Good at what?
Honest politics
Deception, some are very good at this one....
Spinning Facts, there are masters of Spin
Some are doing very well at "Being Good" But being good at being BAD is not GOOD....:lol::lol: Okay now I am confused!

Where are all the Dem protests about this?

Oh wait.. not that big a deal.. Obama is one of their guys.

Where are all the Dem protests about this?

Oh wait.. not that big a deal.. Obama is one of their guys.

Using that logic, why are the wingnuts supporting this. They did when the GOP did it.

Now, you should be able to see that both left and right wingnuts are just that......NUTS!!

I'm willing to compromise. Add a shock collar for politicans with a button on our computers to activate. Instant feedback.

Can't imagine that will be legal.

But there is a point to what he said, many people can pick up cell phone calls since they are3 being transmitted openly through the air. but I don't think that should give the gov't the right to monitor them legally.

I'm willing to compromise. Add a shock collar for politicans with a button on our computers to activate. Instant feedback.

As an added bonus we can have a smaller 'collar' for their, in the case of male politicians, for their testicles, in the case of female politicians...........well, make some suggestions. :lol:
On second thought, maybe not some may actually enjoy it. :lol:

Forum List

Back