Obama Pushing for Federal Cell Phone Tracking

Can't imagine that will be legal.

But there is a point to what he said, many people can pick up cell phone calls since they are3 being transmitted openly through the air. but I don't think that should give the gov't the right to monitor them legally.

The calls and their contents are not at issue, only the location of the phones themselves. Which is determined by the transmission of signals through unprotected, public space. I understand the argument.

But that argument ignores the nature of the cell phone as a personal object most people carry on their person, in which case it should receive the same protection as other personal items worn or carried on one's body.

I personally don't like it, we already split way too many hairs with Fourth Amendment protections. But I can see how it can be justified.

I'm willing to compromise. Add a shock collar for politicans with a button on our computers to activate. Instant feedback.

As an added bonus we can have a smaller 'collar' for their, in the case of male politicians, for their testicles, in the case of female politicians...........well, make some suggestions. :lol:
On second thought, maybe not some may actually enjoy it. :lol:

Hit em where it hurts. Link their salary and benefits to those of the workinig Americans.
If our avg pay goes up so does theirs, if our ins goes up so does theirs, If our pay goes down so does theirs.

Give the bastiges a vested interest in how their country is doing.

I personally don't like it, we already split way too many hairs with Fourth Amendment protections. But I can see how it can be justified.

They can get a warrant like with anything else.

Like the exact location of a landline phone number, whose signals are transmitted through wires in unprotected public space? ;)

Playing Devils' Advocate here, I agree with you. But it's not enough to say they should have to get a warrant. You have to have a good answer as to why. What specifically makes cell phones so different from land line phones that they should enjoy a higher degree of protection?

lol....if this was bush proposing this, the libs would be frothing at the mouth

instead, we have rational minds trying to "understand" it

it never ceases to amaze how partisan we are. i am not innocent in this, it just simply is amazing. i had a friend tell me a couple of years to watch what happens when a dem is elected. they will do many of the same things as bush and the dems, instead of whining or fighting it, will agree with it.

i seriously cannot believe teh lack of outrage on this issue from dems.

I'm willing to compromise. Add a shock collar for politicans with a button on our computers to activate. Instant feedback.

As an added bonus we can have a smaller 'collar' for their, in the case of male politicians, for their testicles, in the case of female politicians...........well, make some suggestions. :lol:

Hit em where it hurts. Link their salary and benefits to those of the workinig Americans.
If our avg pay goes up so does theirs, if our ins goes up so does theirs, If our pay goes down so does theirs.

I believe that's been tried. Makin of our elected officials in government live under the identical rules, regs, healthcare guidelines, pay structure, etc etc. A resounding silent NO WAY! can be heard throughout the hall of Congress and Senate.

Play by the same RULES & Regulations that we impose on all our citizens? Not a chance SUCKERS.......:lol:

I believe that's been tried. Makin of our elected officials in government live under the identical rules, regs, healthcare guidelines, pay structure, etc etc. A resounding silent NO WAY! can be heard throughout the hall of Congress and Senate.

Play by the same RULES & Regulations that we impose on all our citizens? Not a chance SUCKERS.......:lol:

A case of self serving foxes guarding the hen house.

it never ceases to amaze how partisan we are. i am not innocent in this, it just simply is amazing. i had a friend tell me a couple of years to watch what happens when a dem is elected. they will do many of the same things as bush and the dems, instead of whining or fighting it, will agree with it.

Oh stuff a sock in it, Yurt. Stand back and look at it objectively if you can. You should see the arguments on both sides. It's basic.

I don't like it - AT ALL. But it is a good question. Why not argue it? Stop sniping from the stands, pick a side and have at it already. :D

Depending on your definition of a working American I'd be in favor of it. Thinking more along the lines of upper management in a $10M./yr revenue company. Versus say a major league baseball picher.

Oh stuff a sock in it, Yurt. Stand back and look at it objectively if you can. You should see the arguments on both sides. It's basic.

I don't like it - AT ALL. But it is a good question. Why not argue it? Stop sniping from the stands, pick a side and have at it already. :D

you know i am right, stop being so defensive....the bush fisa, wiretapping etc threads were full of righeous indignation, but this thread, hardly a peep

Depending on your definition of a working American I'd be in favor of it. Thinking more along the lines of upper management in a $10M./yr revenue company. Versus say a major league baseball picher.

I am speaking of average wages, not counting bonus, etc.

Why don't we all just sign a pledge to be good. And if you were to violate that pledge, then you'd get fined.
Loyalty oaths circa 2010!

Didn't the republicans recently do this?
The first loyalty oath I can recall is the Pledge of Allegiance. In the 1950s the Conservatives added that "under God" language. It seemed to work fine up til then.

HUAC bounced around the idea of loyalty oaths in the late 1940s.

Paranoia runs deep, or so the song goes...

With telephones you used to have party lines and private lines. It was pretty obvious what was public and what was private. A cell phone is not a shared communications source or receiver. It deserves protection from random checks.

It seems law enforcement wants to take the easy way regardless of any Constitutional infringements. Personally, I say do away with cell phones. They seem to harm business more than help, as employees conduct personal conversations all day long. It is a distraction for drivers. Kids ignore parents calls. I have watched people eat out and talk the entire meal to someone not even there.

I am speaking of average wages, not counting bonus, etc.

How about $4.35 an hour plus tips?

Cell phones promote rude behaviour.
Even the cell commercials show it.

But the proprieties and lack of manners some cell phone users demonstrate should not lead to the banishment of cell phones.

I saw someone (a family member actually) at a funeral take a cell phone call on a blue tooth device while standing next to the casket!

"Oh! Hi! No, I'm at my uncle's funeral right now, but I can talk!"

Oy!

Forum List

Back