NYC School Makes Learning Arabic Mandatory

This is about the school trying to get a particular rating. They should worry about getting kids to master English which they're doing a piss poor job of as it is.

Last edited:
It has become common for elementary schools to teach a foreign language, and the students don't get a choice in which language.

The only story here is that the language is Arabic. I don't know how many other languages are taught in various elementary schools. But, after Spanish (which isn't big in NY), Arabic seems as legitimate as any other language.

New York City elementary school makes learning Arabic a MANDATORY requirement for students

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/arabic_mandatory_at_city_public_UdLomjOOnZNfjDfs6YQrUN

Looks like someone at that school believes that Arabic is the language of the future. The article states that if parents don't want their kids learning Arabic, they'll handle it on a case by case basis. Makes it sound like the students would be treated as if they are doing something wrong if they don't care to learn the native language of the 911 terrorists.

I think the schools need to focus on the basics.

When it comes to learning foreign languages, let the children decide if they are interested or not. It's wrong to force them. We don't even expect illegals to learn English, so why the hell are we having other languages shoved at us?

Shouldn't more people living in the U.S. make the effort to speak our language instead of us being the ones to accomodate them?

From the Article you posted.
"“She proposed this to the parent association. They were very supportive,” said Angela Jackson, CEO of the Global Language Project, which is backing the initiative."
"“When I gave my mom the [permission slip] to sign, she was shocked. [Now] she’s happy I’m in the class,” she said."

"But PS 368 is a so-called “choice’’ school and no kids, even those living nearby, are forced to attend it"

This is a non issue, maybe you should quit with the faux outrage.

New York City elementary school makes learning Arabic a MANDATORY requirement for students

Upper Manhattan public elementary school becomes the first to mandate Arabic as a foreign language - NYPOST.com

Looks like someone at that school believes that Arabic is the language of the future. The article states that if parents don't want their kids learning Arabic, they'll handle it on a case by case basis. Makes it sound like the students would be treated as if they are doing something wrong if they don't care to learn the native language of the 911 terrorists.

When it comes to learning foreign languages, let the children decide if they are interested or not. It's wrong to force them. We don't even expect illegals to learn English, so why the hell are we having other languages shoved at us?

Shouldn't more people living in the U.S. make the effort to speak our language instead of us being the ones to accomodate them?

Most schools will teach students a second language, but Arabic is an odd choice. Very hard language to learn, and to write.
I think students should learn another language, but it should probably be the second most spoken language in their country. For the US, I believe this is Spanish.

Upper Manhattan public elementary school becomes the first to mandate Arabic as a foreign language - NYPOST.com

Most schools will teach students a second language, but Arabic is an odd choice. Very hard language to learn, and to write.
I think students should learn another language, but it should probably be the second most spoken language in their country. For the US, I believe this is Spanish.

when I lived in the Pittsburgh area the 2nd most spoken language was Italian

This is just wrong.
1. This is an elementary school, not middle or high school. Not the place for mandatory foreign languages, ever.
2. A public school?! I could possibly see this happening at a private school. But not the place.
3. Want to do it for IB status. Again, elementary school has no need to worry about IB. That stuff is high school material.

Same goes for any language a public elementary school tries to force kids to learn. Make it an option, like an immersion program.

yawn...the fauxrage is thick in here

ELEMENTARY SCHOOL FOREIGN LANGUAGE INCENTIVE PROGRAM

The program supports incentive payments to public elementary schools that provide students with a foreign language program designed to lead to communicative competency. A program leading to communicative competency is comparable to a program that provides at least 45 minutes of instruction per day for not less than four days per week throughout an academic year.

Elementary School Foreign Language Incentive Program

Elementary schools get funding for teaching languages. Most of europe learns english in addition to native languages. your fausxrage is based on it being arabic which is being taught in this particular school. if it were another language, you'd be peachy keen with it.

which means the basis for the fauxrage is racial hatred.

not a real good reason to be whinging.

personally, i think the more you learn, the better off you are.

Foreign Language is mandatory in New York schools. What difference does it make what language it is?

And having Americans that can speak Arabic will help in many sectors, financial and security being most important.

In any case..this is one of the only industrialized nations on earth where most people are not multilingual.

Foreign Language is mandatory in New York schools. What difference does it make what language it is?

And having Americans that can speak Arabic will help in many sectors, financial and security being most important.

In any case..this is one of the only industrialized nations on earth where most people are not multilingual.

I don't know man, I took German in my last year of high school and alot of the kids there struggled with that, and German is much easier to learn than Arabic. Arabic has a completely different Alphabet and you read from a different side than English, if they taught us Arabic in my school pffft people would make a joke out of it and there would be F's across the board. I don't have a problem with it being an elective but it shouldn't be mandatory.

The quote from this says it all:

"But PS 368 is a so-called “choice’’ school and no kids, even those living nearby, are forced to attend it. If the school ever enrolls a student who objects to learning Arabic, administrators will deal with that on a case-by-case basis, Jackson said."

All you yahoos out there want to pick and chose in the name of school choice, congratulations.
Your wishes are being granted.
Oh, you only want choices for what you believe?
You can't open Pandora's Box and receive perfect results.

I agree, but unfortunately, learning a foreign language in elementary school does not even come close to meaning that the student will be fluent in the language as an adult. A language must be continually used in order for the person to remain proficient.

Immie

Students now taking the class in a pilot program during their free afternoon periods said it’s been a challenge — but a rewarding one.

“When I gave my mom the [permission slip] to sign, she was shocked. [Now] she’s happy I’m in the class,” she said.

The Arabic requirement becomes mandatory in September. But PS 368 is a so-called “choice’’ school and no kids, even those living nearby, are forced to attend it.

Read more: Upper Manhattan public elementary school becomes the first to mandate Arabic as a foreign language - NYPOST.com

Mandatory my ass.
Sounds like a maggot school to me.

"Editor’s Note: A previous version of this post, and the headline, said the Arabic program would be mandatory at the Hamilton Heights School. School officials said that while the lessons will be offered to all students, it is not mandatory."

A Harlem Elementary School Offers Arabic Lessons

I find it interesting the Post did not add that?

Have you ever known Rupert Murdoch to tell the truth?

The quote from this says it all:

"But PS 368 is a so-called “choice’’ school and no kids, even those living nearby, are forced to attend it. If the school ever enrolls a student who objects to learning Arabic, administrators will deal with that on a case-by-case basis, Jackson said."

All you yahoos out there want to pick and chose in the name of school choice, congratulations.
Your wishes are being granted.
Oh, you only want choices for what you believe?
You can't open Pandora's Box and receive perfect results.

What are you going on about?

You don't like that school, pick another. *shrug*

That shouldn't be too complicated.

Understand, I wouldn't have chosen that school for my son? But that doesn't mean I have a problem with it either. On the other hand, my son was the only kid in his g and t elementary school class whose first language wasn't Russian.

Forum List

Back