NYC School Makes Learning Arabic Mandatory

Discussion in 'Education' started by Clementine, May 25, 2012.

1. Clementine

Clementine Platinum Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,696
    New York City elementary school makes learning Arabic a MANDATORY requirement for students

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/arabic_mandatory_at_city_public_UdLomjOOnZNfjDfs6YQrUN

Looks like someone at that school believes that Arabic is the language of the future. The article states that if parents don't want their kids learning Arabic, they'll handle it on a case by case basis. Makes it sound like the students would be treated as if they are doing something wrong if they don't care to learn the native language of the 911 terrorists.

I think the schools need to focus on the basics.

When it comes to learning foreign languages, let the children decide if they are interested or not. It's wrong to force them. We don't even expect illegals to learn English, so why the hell are we having other languages shoved at us?

Shouldn't more people living in the U.S. make the effort to speak our language instead of us being the ones to accomodate them?

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  2. g5000

g5000 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,524
  3. g5000

g5000 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,524
  4. gxnelson

gxnelson SuperWhoLock

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +43
    This is just wrong.
    1. This is an elementary school, not middle or high school. Not the place for mandatory foreign languages, ever.
    2. A public school?! I could possibly see this happening at a private school. But not the place.
    3. Want to do it for IB status. Again, elementary school has no need to worry about IB. That stuff is high school material.

Same goes for any language a public elementary school tries to force kids to learn. Make it an option, like an immersion program.

5. old navy

old navy <<< Action Figures

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Arabic ???

I have students who hardly speak English and if it weren't for texting, would not be very proficient at writing English. My school is getting more and more non-white and non American Black. Trying to get the students this year to do oral presentations was a nightmare. I have one Middle Eastern kid whose accent is so bad that I cannot understand much more than a greeting and a nod of the head.

Difficulties in communicating in the English language is one of the top reasons for low test scores and the low ranking of education in the United States.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: May 26, 2012
  6. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,444
    Arabic is the world's international language of the future.

Giving kid's a heads start by learning arabic will be of tremendous benefit for them later in life. :cool:

7. Immanuel

Immanuel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    While I disagree with Sunni Man about Arabic being the international language of the future, I don't see anything wrong with teaching our kids foreign languages. I think it should be a requirement.

I don't know if it is still going on but thirty years ago or so, some elementary schools in California were teaching English speaking children Spanish. There were "bi-lingual" classes. It wasn't a bad thing at all. Good for the students minds to learn a foreign language.

Arabic though?

Immie

8. old navy

old navy <<< Action Figures

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    I agree, although we call it World Languages now. Don't want to offend anyone by calling them foreign. There IS a world language requirement but the student chooses which language (at least in my district). Learning Arabic is difficult. Some of our ME students are having problems with it.

9. Immanuel

Immanuel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    Piss on political correctness.

If a person has to be told to be polite to people of other groups then they simply aren't worth the wasted breath anyway. Not meaning you have to be nice to everyone as that is an impossibility, but blatant bigotry has no place in society.

Immie

10. The Infidel

The Infidel EVIL CONSERVATIVE

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,173
    Why???

Arabic could be the international language of the future???

Give me a freeking break! WTF have arab assholes contributed to modern society other than a world class group of terrorists?

I do believe it is a great elective, but to be a requirement. That is going over the line IMO.
    We need more folks learning the language so we can better keep an eye on the radicals in Islam, but dont tell me my 5th grader needs to be required to learn arabic. :eusa_hand: