NYC School Makes Learning Arabic Mandatory

New York City elementary school makes learning Arabic a MANDATORY requirement for students

Upper Manhattan public elementary school becomes the first to mandate Arabic as a foreign language - NYPOST.com

Looks like someone at that school believes that Arabic is the language of the future. The article states that if parents don't want their kids learning Arabic, they'll handle it on a case by case basis. Makes it sound like the students would be treated as if they are doing something wrong if they don't care to learn the native language of the 911 terrorists.

I think the schools need to focus on the basics.

When it comes to learning foreign languages, let the children decide if they are interested or not. It's wrong to force them. We don't even expect illegals to learn English, so why the hell are we having other languages shoved at us?

Shouldn't more people living in the U.S. make the effort to speak our language instead of us being the ones to accomodate them?
We need Americans speaking english. If you come here learn english. I know some hispanics that have been here legally for 30 years and still don't speak english. This is America, we speak english, if you don't like it move back to the cess pool where you came from. We did not get to where we are by speaking arabic or any other language.

Many of my middle eastern students are struggling in their Arabic class. I'm glad I don't have to take it.

New York City elementary school makes learning Arabic a MANDATORY requirement for students

Upper Manhattan public elementary school becomes the first to mandate Arabic as a foreign language - NYPOST.com

Looks like someone at that school believes that Arabic is the language of the future. The article states that if parents don't want their kids learning Arabic, they'll handle it on a case by case basis. Makes it sound like the students would be treated as if they are doing something wrong if they don't care to learn the native language of the 911 terrorists.

When it comes to learning foreign languages, let the children decide if they are interested or not. It's wrong to force them. We don't even expect illegals to learn English, so why the hell are we having other languages shoved at us?

Shouldn't more people living in the U.S. make the effort to speak our language instead of us being the ones to accomodate them?

Can anyone tell me exactly what the intent is here, aside from making another minority feel like the "ultra-evolved" among us "got their back"?
Seriously, give me one good reason for mandating Arabic in an elementary school NOT located in an Arabic speaking nation...just one...

Most of the schools in NYC are charter, they can choose to attend that school or another. I have no problems with a school that teaches all the students Arabic. I'd like to find one that teaches them all Japanese, or all Spanish. In this day and age, knowing another language and being able to speak it fluently may make the difference between being employed and being unemployed.

The quote from this says it all:

"But PS 368 is a so-called “choice’’ school and no kids, even those living nearby, are forced to attend it. If the school ever enrolls a student who objects to learning Arabic, administrators will deal with that on a case-by-case basis, Jackson said."

All you yahoos out there want to pick and chose in the name of school choice, congratulations.
Your wishes are being granted.
Oh, you only want choices for what you believe?
You can't open Pandora's Box and receive perfect results.

What are you going on about?

You don't like that school, pick another. *shrug*

That shouldn't be too complicated.

You've totally missed the point.

Many that gripe about having school choice think having a school teach this is awful.

Most of the schools in NYC are charter, they can choose to attend that school or another. I have no problems with a school that teaches all the students Arabic. I'd like to find one that teaches them all Japanese, or all Spanish. In this day and age, knowing another language and being able to speak it fluently may make the difference between being employed and being unemployed.

Offering Arabic, as well as other USEFUL languages, is not the issue. The issue is that it is MANDATORY.

NJ has a foreign language requirement. Students get to choose.

I agree but thought maybe this was a Muslim neighborhood. Turns out it's not. According to the article, they are doing it for the sole purpose of attaining IB accreditation.

I agree but thought maybe this was a Muslim neighborhood. Turns out it's not. According to the article, they are doing it for the sole purpose of attaining IB accreditation.

Americans are not noted for their intelligence and less so every day. To an American arabic is arabic is arabic and anyone who speaks arabic can speak to anyone else. There are hundreds of arabic dialects that are more like different languages than dialects of one language. The only arabic that can be called arabic is Koranic arabic, and there are simply no words if the word is not in the Koran. Koranic arabic as the language of the Koran is universally spoken by imams, clerics and ayatollahs but its confined to the Koran. It's like having a Biblical language, but you can't use any words that aren't in the Bible.

Then there is Iran who doesn't even speak Koranic arabic, or arabic at all.

Offering Arabic, as well as other USEFUL languages, is not the issue. The issue is that it is MANDATORY.

NJ has a foreign language requirement. Students get to choose.

It's mandatory at that school, you get to choose which school to attend so you don't have to attend that school.

I really think they are speaking about High School Students ... Giving them the choice to pick languages THEY want to learn ... We need to start giving The NYC Schools a chance ,,,

Is The State Department or the Department of Defense recruiting? That would make sense.

Forum List

Back