NRA School Shield: Why should the NRA be the voice of how schools are protected?

He wants to condemn those who want to limit your right to own a gun. Your second amendment right.

But in the same damn breath condems the first amendment right of film makers and game developers.

Why can't the right defend their constitutional rights without trying to limit mine?

Good point. Good post. I think you'd go further to point out that the culture he's discussing extends far beyond our borders however and point out further that other countries that have serious tough gun laws AND our culture do so without the monthly massacre syndrome. Not only what he said about blaming the culture is cowardly, self-denial, and utterly shameless; it's also incorrect and hopelessly moronic.

And I agreed with the guy on having police officers at the schools. I mean, if something happens, you're going to call the cops and you hope they bring two things; guns and buddies who know how to use them--right? Why not have a trained practitioner of armed interaction on site to start with since they'd be the first to call them.

The "mayhem tax" that should be levied on assault weapons could help pay for it.

Yes I watched Die Hard. It's all true. Badmans prefer to go to the places that are guarded. And they always ninja strike the guards before setting up base operations.:lol:

BTW, in case you missed it, there was an armed guard at Columbine at the time of the shooting. And, there were countless armed guards at Ft Hood.

True.

However, the body counts were likely lower because of it. It's sad we have to perform this sort of calculus but we have this gun issue in our country and it's not changing anytime soon.

Also, the presence creates a bit of deterrence; not only for a brain-damaged kid but also for someone looking to kidnap their estranged child, assault a teacher who flunked your daughter, etc...

Since we're going to call the cops when TSHTF on a campus, I happen to agree that having armed security on site isn't a bad idea. I don't think we should put it in the hands of teachers or principals. Just a trained, WELL FUNDED, security group who do nothing except maintain vigilance.

The NRA has announced their 'solution' to gun violence in school. Armed guards.

I'm sure that the idea will have both multiple supporters and detractors as is usually the case when one side of the political aisle suggests a solution to a problem.

However, aside from the costs associated with placing armed guards in thousands (if not tens of thousands) of schools nationwide at a time of statewide budget cuts and even more proposed federal cuts, and the fact that there are usually multiple entrances to most schools and the fact that guards would likely be the first targets of any gunmen...what about school buses? How many school buses leave a school with 50 plus students at the end of the day, every day, all across the country? Should they ALL have armed guards on them like federal Marshalls on planes?

How about community centers? Swimming pools? After school sports games in gymnasiums? Bus stops? Cross walks? Any and every public place? How about day care centers? Restaurants? How about EVERY single movie theatre? Lobbies alone? Or the actual screening theaters? How about libraries?

Is the answer to gun violence mean that America has to embrace armed guard everywhere that children and adults congregate?
No. The answer to decreasing gun violence is to allow law abiding citizens to carry guns wherever they go...including schools, public transit, theaters, banks, churches,...WHEREVER THEY GO!!

Open carry is fine with me.

Concealed is fine with me if permits are required for it. (That's the way it is in Georgia, but you seldom see any open carriers.)

Only people that CANNOT READ do not know the facts about gun violence and gun control. The less you control the guns, the less violence there will be with guns. Plain and simple FACT!

Last edited:

I'm sure that the idea will have both multiple supporters and detractors as is usually the case when one side of the political aisle suggests a solution to a problem.

However, aside from the costs associated with placing armed guards in thousands (if not tens of thousands) of schools nationwide at a time of statewide budget cuts and even more proposed federal cuts, and the fact that there are usually multiple entrances to most schools and the fact that guards would likely be the first targets of any gunmen...what about school buses? How many school buses leave a school with 50 plus students at the end of the day, every day, all across the country? Should they ALL have armed guards on them like federal Marshalls on planes?

How about community centers? Swimming pools? After school sports games in gymnasiums? Bus stops? Cross walks? Any and every public place? How about day care centers? Restaurants? How about EVERY single movie theatre? Lobbies alone? Or the actual screening theaters? How about libraries?

Is the answer to gun violence mean that America has to embrace armed guard everywhere that children and adults congregate?
No. The answer to decreasing gun violence is to allow law abiding citizens to carry guns wherever they go...including schools, public transit, theaters, banks, churches,...WHEREVER THEY GO!!

Concealed is fine with me if permits are required for it. (That's the way it is in Georgia, but you seldom see any open carriers.)

Only people that CANNOT READ do not know the facts about gun violence and gun control. The less you control the guns, the less violence there will be with guns. Plain and simple FACT!

Really? Looks like just another stupid redneck, biased opinion to me. What good can be had if everybody is packing? People can barely handle their automobiles and you want to give them guns?

Have you ever had a gun pointed at you? Well, I have. You are WRONG.

Last edited:
gop-vs-teachers-guns.jpg

Concealed is fine with me if permits are required for it.

You do understand, don't you, that a person can be a law-abiding citizen right up until the very moment that he kills someone with a gun?

And while you ponder the conceptual idea that many murderers were not criminals at the time they committed their very first violent crime...

Do you think the heightened awareness among many people (whether they themselves are carrying firearms or not) that a large number of people around them are (also) carrying guns is going to make them more or less comfortable? More or less relaxed? Will they feel safer or less safe?

So, if you go to your kids' school to pick them up, and you see some young man with tattoos and a handgun in his waistband, will you feel safe or threatened? What are you likely to do if you don't know why he's there. Is he a gang banger? Or is he a parent?

"The Department of Education has counted 98,817 public schools in the United States and an additional 33,366 private schools."

Really? Looks like just another stupid redneck, biased opinion to me. What good can be had if everybody is packing? People can barely handle their automobiles and you want to give them guns?

Statistics back me up. Do you understand what statistical RECORDS mean?

...and yes, I have had a gun pointed at me.

BTW, in case you missed it, there was an armed guard at Columbine at the time of the shooting. And, there were countless armed guards at Ft Hood.

And I'm pretty sure concealed carry was legal in both AZ and CO.

True, but were talking about a Democrat campaign rally in the case of AZ. the chance of anyone carrying a concealed weapon there was indistinguishable from zero. In the case of columbine, schools are "gun free zones." In other words, they are prime hunting ground for predators.

"The Department of Education has counted 98,817 public schools in the United States and an additional 33,366 private schools."

So, 99,000 public schools times approximately $30,000 per armed guard...

By my calculation that's about $3 Billion a year, undoubtedly subtracted from money spent on teachers (and teaching, of course).

No. Citizens can arm themselves with a gun in order to defend themselves from the bad guys and loons.

Nancy Lanza had 3 guns. How'd that work out for her?

One armed guard to protect 1500 students? that isn't what I advocate. having the vice principle and about a dozen teachers armed with concealed weapons is what is needed.

Statistics back me up. Do you understand what statistical RECORDS mean?

...and yes, I have had a gun pointed at me.

Your guru Lott is the laughing stock of the criminology world.

Not only was his work totally debunked, but they have found out that he never even looked at the samples he claimed to have.

He's a liar.

His work is shit.

Statistically, owning a gun is like attaching a lightening rod to your head.

By my calculation that's about $3 Billion a year, undoubtedly subtracted from money spent on teachers (and teaching, of course).

:clap2:

Oh and lets not forget, they had an armed guard at columbine, so even if there are one there, killings still happen. 3 billion a year and its already proven to not be a deterrent.

Only the right would approve of this.

Concealed is fine with me if permits are required for it.

You do understand, don't you, that a person can be a law-abiding citizen right up until the very moment that he kills someone with a gun?

And while you ponder the conceptual idea that many murderers were not criminals at the time they committed their very first violent crime...

Do you think the heightened awareness among many people (whether they themselves are carrying firearms or not) that a large number of people around them are (also) carrying guns is going to make them more or less comfortable? More or less relaxed? Will they feel safer or less safe?

So, if you go to your kids' school to pick them up, and you see some young man with tattoos and a handgun in his waistband, will you feel safe or threatened? What are you likely to do if you don't know why he's there. Is he a gang banger? Or is he a parent?
I see there is no sense in trying to discuss the issue with you. You are a dreaming extremist when it comes to conjuring up hypothetical situations that will likely never occur.

It is already the law in Georgia that one can legally carry a firearm in the open. In order for it to be a legal carry, that person has to have a clean record regarding drugs, DUI, felony, etc.

Criminals do not open carry. They conceal their weapons....whether it is legal or illegal to carry in the open.

So the law DOES NOT AFFECT THEM!

People that are inclined to be honest, law-abiding citizens do not all of a sudden change their minds and decide to rob a bank or someone else just because they have a gun.

I have no doubt that many silly people are actually afraid of guns (as if guns may suddenly jump up and shoot you all by themselves) but THE FACT of the matter is that the last statement in my previous post is absolutely true. There is no argument you can make that will change that! It is historical FACT!

Why don't we use federal funding that traditionally goes to Planned Parenthood for it?

Forum List

Back