NBA dress code racist

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Trigg, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Trigg

Trigg Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Almost every place of employment has a dress code, so I don't see a problem with this one. Obviously they're trying to clean up the leagues image after the fights last year. It's certainly not racist IMO. If they keep "crying wolf" all of the time over rediculous things the real racism is going to be ignored as more whining.

- Indiana guard Stephen Jackson believes the NBA’s new ban on bling-bling is racially motivated, but says he will abide by the rules.

The NBA has announced that a dress code will go into effect at the start of the season. Players will be required to wear business-casual attire when involved in team or league business. They can’t wear visible chains, pendants or medallions over their clothes.

Jackson, who is black, said the NBA’s new rule about jewelry targets young black males because chains are associated with hip-hop culture, and he said the league is afraid of becoming “too hip-hop.” In protest, he wore four chains to the Pacers’ exhibition game against San Antonio on Tuesday night.

Boston Celtics star Paul Pierce agreed that the new rule targeted young, black players.

“When I saw the part about chains, hip hop and throwback jerseys, I think that’s part of our culture,” Pierce said. “The NBA is young black males.”

2. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    emperical evidence that Mr. Jackson is an idiot. :(

3. Trigg

Trigg Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I guarantee they'll spend their time pissing and moaning, but won't actually quit in protest of this racist move they the MAN. After all where else are they going to make such megga bucks???? :blah2:

4. GotZoom

GotZoom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +366
    They obviously haven't seen how European Soccer and Basketball teams travel. Dressed sharp - suits, ties, jackets have the team crest/emblem embroidered on it.

It is a matter of pride. They represent their city, their team.

I wonder..has any team owner/coach come out and said they don't agree with it?

5. The ClayTaurus

The ClayTaurus Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    It's not about hip-hop or race or looking responsible or pride or anything. It's about the league making money. The throwbacks and chains made it cool and made them some money, but it also lead to everyone saying the NBA is a bunch of thugs whenever there is a fight. Now, the throw-backs and chains that made the game hip and cool and made the league money are being used against them.

6. trobinett

trobinett Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +162

Just another in a l-o-n-g LIST of reasons I no longer watch the NBA. :gives:

7. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +620
    I saw a guy on Leno this week talking about this..

I don’t know his name, I’m not a Bassitt ball fan.

Anyway, he was either a current older player or retired but still involved player.
    He was black. He supported this 100%..As he said, the young black kids emulate what they see, and you just can't dress this way and expect to go out and get a job.

8. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356

Cuban of the Mavs. Of course he wears T-shirt and jeans every day. So he's upset that he'll have to wear a polo shirt now.

9. The ClayTaurus

The ClayTaurus Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    And he's filthy rich. Frustrating.

10. archangel

archangel Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I for one could care less what the pros wear or do...don't watch pro sports..I reserve myself to College or H.S. sports where the kids go out and have fun for the games sake...yeah I know you will say they are just prepping for the pro's...does not matter to me I just like amateurs perform rather than so called pro's! :cool: