NASA: We'll find alien life in 10 to 20 years

Theres a difference between intelligent life and non.

And the more intelligent we become, the further humans, as opposed to governments, are moving away from violence. Thats a fact.

And the days of empires conquering empires as a matter of outspoken goal are over. They may be doing it on the sly, but they cant in an outspoken way because humans dont support it any longer. Thats not even debatable.

In the 21st century, there is no evidence at all that that is true. With 30,000 gun deaths each year in the U.S. alone, how do you suppose that we, for instance, are becoming LESS violent?

The fact is that life on Earth, all life, is very violent by nature. It's a dog eat dog world out there, and there is no reason to suppose that that isn't the case everywhere in the universe.
How do i suppose?

Because its proven statistically.

Erm, what is proven statistically? Look, here's what you need to do to understand my thesis. Look at the fossil record from as far back as you like all the way up to modern biological times, and what do you see? You see relentless evolution of predation simultaneously with relentless evolution of prey. There is no time in Earth's ecological history where this is not true. And humans are no different. We are, in fact, at the very top of the food chain. And I can almost guarantee that there are intelligent predators out there in the universe far and above more advanced than we are. In fact, I'd be utterly shocked if there wasn't. Why? On Earth, the most intelligent life forms, including human beings, are predators. Bar none.
We dont kill intelligent beings. The only other ones basically on earth are whales, dolphins and monkeys. And we dont kill them (legally).

Dude, we have been killing them for millennia.

And statistically, "humans killing humans" has been on a downward trend. That is all the proof needed to support my theory.

Wars ebb and flow. War in Afghanistan alone has killed nearly 2,000,000 people since its start in 1978. The Syrian civil war has killed over 200,000 in four years of fighting. The civil war in Iraq has killed about 47,000 people since 2011 (and that doesn't include those killed during the U.S. invasion and aftermath). There are currently 47 armed conflicts ongoing in the world. These fact simply do not support your thesis. And with world resources becoming increasingly scarce, there is no reason to assume that it is going to get any better in the future.
[/QUOTE]
War is usually frowned upon by the populations, as opposed to their Governments.

Make it five, make it THREE!

Keep going, folks, here's hoping.

NASA We apos ll find alien life in 10 to 20 years - LA Times

Never happen. It doesn't exist.
So you feel that the only life in the universe is here on Earth?

Correct.
Ok. Have you ever given thought to how you would react if we found life elsewhere, anything from microbial to sentient?

why think about something that will never happen?

In the 21st century, there is no evidence at all that that is true. With 30,000 gun deaths each year in the U.S. alone, how do you suppose that we, for instance, are becoming LESS violent?

The fact is that life on Earth, all life, is very violent by nature. It's a dog eat dog world out there, and there is no reason to suppose that that isn't the case everywhere in the universe.
How do i suppose?

Erm, what is proven statistically? Look, here's what you need to do to understand my thesis. Look at the fossil record from as far back as you like all the way up to modern biological times, and what do you see? You see relentless evolution of predation simultaneously with relentless evolution of prey. There is no time in Earth's ecological history where this is not true. And humans are no different. We are, in fact, at the very top of the food chain. And I can almost guarantee that there are intelligent predators out there in the universe far and above more advanced than we are. In fact, I'd be utterly shocked if there wasn't. Why? On Earth, the most intelligent life forms, including human beings, are predators. Bar none.
We dont kill intelligent beings. The only other ones basically on earth are whales, dolphins and monkeys. And we dont kill them (legally).

And statistically, "humans killing humans" has been on a downward trend. That is all the proof needed to support my theory.

Wars ebb and flow. War in Afghanistan alone has killed nearly 2,000,000 people since its start in 1978. The Syrian civil war has killed over 200,000 in four years of fighting. The civil war in Iraq has killed about 47,000 people since 2011 (and that doesn't include those killed during the U.S. invasion and aftermath). There are currently 47 armed conflicts ongoing in the world. These fact simply do not support your thesis. And with world resources becoming increasingly scarce, there is no reason to assume that it is going to get any better in the future.
War is usually frowned upon by the populations, as opposed to their Governments.[/QUOTE]

Except if you're a Palestine citizen then you march in support of your government firing off bombs.

How do i suppose?

War is usually frowned upon by the populations, as opposed to their Governments.

Except if you're a Palestine citizen then you march in support of your government firing off bombs.[/QUOTE]
Amd dont get nato support as a result.

Should reverse the budgets for NASA and the DoD. Quit being a dick to the middle east and you don't need to spend as much on defnese since not as many are wishing you ill.
We still have far too many people on this planet who would rather blow each other up than reach for the stars.

Some of them sadly are posting in this thread. They really believe humanity should go back to goat herding and do what the Taliban does. I find it disgusting. One of the reasons I didn't like interstellar is it reminded me just how fucked my species really is as most of the world just chose to stay in die on this little planet rather then do a damn thing to save our own ass. Sadly, If the shit hit the fan it wouldn't be like start trek but this movie. That makes me angry as we could do so much better.
There are many people who don't want us to find alien life, and they have a lot of influence.

I keep hearing this. The "The Men in Black" story in my opinion. What better way to make circumstantial evidence sound more believable if someone, unnamed and unknown comes pays you a visit and tell you to shut up. Of course you don't and nothing happens so I suspect this is just part of the story line.

I am not arguing with you but why would they not want us to know? Fear? They, they being those who are really in control apparently, like to use fear as a means of control. What do you think is their motive?

Believe me I am not arguing but I have come down to where I want REAL pictures not blurry BS pictures. I want a track in the ground. I want something tangible.
The people who have the most to lose are religious leaders. This isn't an anti-religion rant, it's just a point. Finding life - especially some kind of sentient life - on another planet would at least shake the faith of many people. They would need to re-calibrate their entire, deeply-held worldview, and that may or may not work out well.

The mostly likely scientific scenario, I'd think, is that we're ultimately going to find of microbic life flourishing in several places within our own solar system. Religion will have to explain that and the very high probability of life elsewhere. I'd think faith can be a shaky thing, and that adds a pretty hefty measure of risk to the faith equation.

I have heard this also but do you really think with our government it is driven by religion? Think about when the white man first settled the Americas, it didn't shake their belief system in the least to run into some native Americans.

Never the less that is not proof of anything, most of all that we are not alone. We may actually be "it."

We still have far too many people on this planet who would rather blow each other up than reach for the stars.

Some of them sadly are posting in this thread. They really believe humanity should go back to goat herding and do what the Taliban does. I find it disgusting. One of the reasons I didn't like interstellar is it reminded me just how fucked my species really is as most of the world just chose to stay in die on this little planet rather then do a damn thing to save our own ass. Sadly, If the shit hit the fan it wouldn't be like start trek but this movie. That makes me angry as we could do so much better.
There are many people who don't want us to find alien life, and they have a lot of influence.

I keep hearing this. The "The Men in Black" story in my opinion. What better way to make circumstantial evidence sound more believable if someone, unnamed and unknown comes pays you a visit and tell you to shut up. Of course you don't and nothing happens so I suspect this is just part of the story line.

I am not arguing with you but why would they not want us to know? Fear? They, they being those who are really in control apparently, like to use fear as a means of control. What do you think is their motive?

Believe me I am not arguing but I have come down to where I want REAL pictures not blurry BS pictures. I want a track in the ground. I want something tangible.
The people who have the most to lose are religious leaders. This isn't an anti-religion rant, it's just a point. Finding life - especially some kind of sentient life - on another planet would at least shake the faith of many people. They would need to re-calibrate their entire, deeply-held worldview, and that may or may not work out well.

The mostly likely scientific scenario, I'd think, is that we're ultimately going to find of microbic life flourishing in several places within our own solar system. Religion will have to explain that and the very high probability of life elsewhere. I'd think faith can be a shaky thing, and that adds a pretty hefty measure of risk to the faith equation.

I have heard this also but do you really think with our government it is driven by religion? Think about when the white man first settled the Americas, it didn't shake their belief system in the least to run into some native Americans.

Never the less that is not proof of anything, most of all that we are not alone. We may actually be "it."
The odds of us being "it" are astronomically (no pun intended) low.

Youd have a better chance of getting hit by lightning on 1000 consecutive days.

The odds of us being "it" are astronomically (no pun intended) low.

Youd have a better chance of getting hit by lightning on 1000 consecutive days.

Could you show me the math that caused you to come to that conclusion?

That is what you want to believe, thus that is what you believe. Everyone does it.

Now, here is your proper response.

The calculation which supports life originating on Earth for probability calculation that a specific ribozyme might assemble by chance. Assume that the ribozyme is 300 nucleotides long, and that at each position there could be any of four nucleotides present. The chances of that ribozyme assembling are then 4^300, a number so large that it could not possibly happen by chance even once in 13 billion years, the age of the universe.

Calculating The Odds That Life Could Begin By Chance

Now if you go to that site you will see that although it appears to be impossible odds the author goes ahead and explains how it could happen any way. But look at what he calculated, the formation of a ribozyme that can hold more information then your computers simple 1 and 0s.

So if life could not originate on Earth then what was the cause? Causes don't need to have causes. In other words a fire could be burning and you and I don't have to know the cause to know it is burning.

So that leaves one logical answer, life came from outside the Earth.

The odds that brought life to Earth are fantastically large against.

They could find life on the Moon and maybe Mars, we left it there.

One has to ask, why is Earth covered with water and Mars is not. Where did the water come from?

Uh, Mars WAS once covered with water.

Marsology 101.

Actually, it may have been.

It was. Time to terraform.
news flash. we already found alien life. it's crossing our southern border on a daily basis.

Forum List

Back