NASA: We'll find alien life in 10 to 20 years

I don't know why NASA is lying and hiding....

alien life was found in 1947...in the Roswell crash...they took the alien bodies....they took the craft...

why all this dog and pony show??

why lie to the world?

because they will panic??

ok...they will panic...but though .....let them panic idiots that they are...

the rest of us want the truth

Last edited:
And we are not even going to start with Area 51 here....

booooo

too scary for ya?

well ...deal with it ...it's all
true.

Should reverse the budgets for NASA and the DoD. Quit being a dick to the middle east and you don't need to spend as much on defnese since not as many are wishing you ill.

NASA should be ashamed of themselves. They are scientists for fucks sake. Quit trying to be rock stars.

They know full well that the life they are referring to is going to be simple extremophiles and single called plant like life. They choose to call it "Alien Life" knowing full well how the low-information public will take that.

Stick to the science.

In this case, alien life is referring to any life not originating on Earth. So whether it is a microbe, Gozilla's mother-in-law, or Paul the atheist ET, it is still alien life.

Of course that's true but NASA knows what people will think when they hear that. It just irritates me that they stoop to a stunt.

What stunt, where?

Jesus!

Read it again please.

Naw. With that attitude, I think I'll just ignore your posts.

Cheers,

Break my heart, you don't read them anyway, you just make ignorant and uninformed comments based on the first few words of the first sentence.

I subscribe to the Rare Earth Hypothesis. Basically it says that although simple non-sentient life may well be abundant in the universe, complex organisms, tool users, are so rare as to be near non-existant outside of our planet. That isn't even talking about anyone or anything at our level of intelligence.

In that respect, we are alone.

I doubt that is true. Certainly you can't prove it mathematically. And if the paradigm that the laws of physics work the same everywhere in the universe (with the possible exceptions of inside of black holes), there is no reason to assume that intelligent, tool using life doesn't exist elsewhere in the universe. On our planet alone, there are more than a few diverse species that have been shown not only to use tools, but to make them and use them in complex decision-making scenarios. For instance:

If a crow can exhibit complex tool-making behavior, there is no reason to suppose alien life cannot do the same and much more.

Actually you are proving the theory. Because physics is in fact constant, it's safe to assume that the rules governing life and intelligence are the same throughout the universe. Therefor we need to fond a planet with the near exact conditions that we have here. None of the planets so far discovered fit the bill.

I would literally bet my life that there are at LEAST 100 (if not a million more) intelligent lifeforms in the Universe.

Rare Earth hypothesis doesnt hold weight, in that you cant consider earth rare when were only able to observe such a miniminiminiscule fractile of a percent of the entire Universe. It makes no sense whatsoever to subscribe to it, in terms of probability and also in terms of how much we've yet to study.

A common argument but totally lacking in anything factual.

There is mountains of evidence that the laws of physics are constant throughout the universe. That's enough to make assumptions such as that the little green men aren't green because of chlorophyll.

UPDATE

Just heard on the radio, a spokesperson for NASA say that the life we will find will be simple life, as opposed to sentient life.

Damn, sometimes I get bored being right all the time.

Should reverse the budgets for NASA and the DoD. Quit being a dick to the middle east and you don't need to spend as much on defnese since not as many are wishing you ill.
We still have far too many people on this planet who would rather blow each other up than reach for the stars.

Some of them sadly are posting in this thread. They really believe humanity should go back to goat herding and do what the Taliban does. I find it disgusting. One of the reasons I didn't like interstellar is it reminded me just how fucked my species really is as most of the world just chose to stay in die on this little planet rather then do a damn thing to save our own ass. Sadly, If the shit hit the fan it wouldn't be like start trek but this movie. That makes me angry as we could do so much better.

Last edited:
I subscribe to the Rare Earth Hypothesis. Basically it says that although simple non-sentient life may well be abundant in the universe, complex organisms, tool users, are so rare as to be near non-existant outside of our planet. That isn't even talking about anyone or anything at our level of intelligence.

In that respect, we are alone.

I doubt that is true. Certainly you can't prove it mathematically. And if the paradigm that the laws of physics work the same everywhere in the universe (with the possible exceptions of inside of black holes), there is no reason to assume that intelligent, tool using life doesn't exist elsewhere in the universe. On our planet alone, there are more than a few diverse species that have been shown not only to use tools, but to make them and use them in complex decision-making scenarios. For instance:

If a crow can exhibit complex tool-making behavior, there is no reason to suppose alien life cannot do the same and much more.

Actually you are proving the theory. Because physics is in fact constant, it's safe to assume that the rules governing life and intelligence are the same throughout the universe. Therefor we need to fond a planet with the near exact conditions that we have here. None of the planets so far discovered fit the bill.

That is what we thought in the 1970s. We no longer believe that is the case because we have realized that life as we know it can exist in a much wider ranger of environmental conditions. Tardigrades, for instance, can withstand temperatures from just above absolute zero to well above the boiling point of water (100°C), pressures about six times greater than those found in the deepest ocean trenches, ionizing radiation at doses hundreds of times higher than the lethal dose for a human, and the vacuum of outer space. Other extremophiles show similar capabilities.

We still have far too many people on this planet who would rather blow each other up than reach for the stars.

Some of them sadly are posting in this thread. They really believe humanity should go back to goat herding and do what the Taliban does. I find it disgusting. One of the reasons I didn't like interstellar is it reminded me just how fucked my species really is as most of the world just chose to stay in die on this little planet rather then do a damn thing to save our own ass. Sadly, If the shit hit the fan it wouldn't be like start trek but this movie. That makes me angry as we could do so much better.
There are many people who don't want us to find alien life, and they have a lot of influence.

There are many people who don't want us to find alien life, and they have a lot of influence.

As for finding intelligent life like our own or more advanced, I highly recommend that everyone read "The Force Of God" by Greg Bear. Not only is it highly entertaining, but it gives one thought to consider the possible consequences of interaction with such advance alien species. He also has a sequel (Anvil Of Stars) that touches on many ethical issues.

As for finding intelligent life like our own or more advanced, I highly recommend that everyone read "The Force Of God" by Greg Bear. Not only is it highly entertaining, but it gives one thought to consider the possible consequences of interaction with such advance alien species. He also has a sequel (Anvil Of Stars) that touches on many ethical issues.
I expect that within my lifetime, we will find a solar system with a planet with an atmosphere with free oxygen in it. That will be proof of life on that planet. That alone will change the paradigm of many peoples thinking concerning our place in the universe. I would not be surprised if in my lifetime we find evidence of a technological specie in another solar system. That will really create some problems for certain religious sets of mind.

Forum List

Back