My Wife Was Diagnosed with ILC (Invasive Lobular Carcinoma)

I thought hard whether I would post such personal information as I know some here at USMB will take great joy in our plight but I will ignore it. There are multiple reasons I suppose..... getting it off my chest...... helping others who come after us on how and what treatment is out there today for ILC.

She is 56 years old. Has had a couple biopsy's over the years all benign. During her yearly checkup (mammogram) at Vanderbilt Breast Clinic a sharp eyed radiologist spotted something of concern. That led to an ultrasound which led to a needle biopsy. Test came back positive for ILC, which is the second most common form of breast cancer, but is often very hard to detect. It is a cancer that has spread out from the milk ducts, and in cases, infecting the lymph nodes. We met with a very renowned surgeon who has scheduled her for a lumpectomy (Jan 7) and will take 3 strands of lymph nodes to test whether it has spread there. In the meantime they scheduled an MRI to see if there was anything they missed from previous test. Found out yesterday they have noticed another lump in the same breast, so she has another biopsy to do prior to the scheduled surgery as it may change our treatment strategy. Once the surgery is completed, at a minimum she will have 5 weeks of daily radiation therapy M-F.

We have been married 27 years and have known each other a couple years longer. My wife is tough as nails and is more concerned about me and others who love her than herself. She has never been one to put herself first, above others. One of the reasons I love her so dearly as that is not a trait I have much experience with.

It's going to be a tough road ahead for her and me I know. But I have told her I/m her rock, her person to hate, love, cry with and all the other things that come with it. There will be less time for things we like to do, like flying our plane or just walking down to the chicken coupe to watch the chickens peck the ground. I suspect my time here at USMB will be greatly reduced, but I'll stop in from time to time and provide an update on how she's doing.

So I guess that's all I wanted to say..

-Geaux
Add my prayers to those listed here. Be strong, and when the dark days come that seem to test your resolve and the ending you seek seems far away...come here to this unlikely place. Because ALL who know the challenge she and you are facing are here for you. Best wishes!

I thought hard whether I would post such personal information as I know some here at USMB will take great joy in our plight but I will ignore it. There are multiple reasons I suppose..... getting it off my chest...... helping others who come after us on how and what treatment is out there today for ILC.

She is 56 years old. Has had a couple biopsy's over the years all benign. During her yearly checkup (mammogram) at Vanderbilt Breast Clinic a sharp eyed radiologist spotted something of concern. That led to an ultrasound which led to a needle biopsy. Test came back positive for ILC, which is the second most common form of breast cancer, but is often very hard to detect. It is a cancer that has spread out from the milk ducts, and in cases, infecting the lymph nodes. We met with a very renowned surgeon who has scheduled her for a lumpectomy (Jan 7) and will take 3 strands of lymph nodes to test whether it has spread there. In the meantime they scheduled an MRI to see if there was anything they missed from previous test. Found out yesterday they have noticed another lump in the same breast, so she has another biopsy to do prior to the scheduled surgery as it may change our treatment strategy. Once the surgery is completed, at a minimum she will have 5 weeks of daily radiation therapy M-F.

We have been married 27 years and have known each other a couple years longer. My wife is tough as nails and is more concerned about me and others who love her than herself. She has never been one to put herself first, above others. One of the reasons I love her so dearly as that is not a trait I have much experience with.

It's going to be a tough road ahead for her and me I know. But I have told her I/m her rock, her person to hate, love, cry with and all the other things that come with it. There will be less time for things we like to do, like flying our plane or just walking down to the chicken coupe to watch the chickens peck the ground. I suspect my time here at USMB will be greatly reduced, but I'll stop in from time to time and provide an update on how she's doing.

-Geaux
You and your wife have my prayers and best wishes. I am now pretty much in the same boat as you with my wife, metastasized sarcoma, stage 4, just discovered it this last October.

-Geaux
You and your wife have my prayers and best wishes. I am now pretty much in the same boat as you with my wife, metastasized sarcoma, stage 4, just discovered it this last October.
Ringel05, there is always room for more in our prayers, and you are included. God bless your wife and you and your family!

-Geaux
Hope she beats her disease and brings you 30 more years of joy, Geaux. Prayers up for Mrs. Geaux4it. :eusa_pray:

-Geaux
Prayers up for you and Mrs. Ringel05. :eusa_pray:

-Geaux

Yahoo Answers has a section called Medical which is answered by Medical People. Try that to find out about ILC. USMB is a political forum which does not have a section called Medical.

My prayers are with you all. Hang strong.
Keep positive and know even a diagnosis of lung cancer today is survivable. Recently had a family member go through that without much hope from stage 4, yet it is in remission today, with no surgery, just treatments.
My son’s best friends wife was diagnosed with breast cancer during pregnancy, and no sign of it now, 6 months after surgery and treatments.
The treatments they have for breast cancer are so much better today than even 5 years ago.

But realize fear is normal of the unknown and we are here for you, and for you Ringel, as well, anytime you need to talk.

I just saw this. How awful for you. Sending positive prayers your way.

I had a friend that beat breast cancer twice. She has passed now but not by cancer. She was shot by her son's pot dealer.

Forum List

Back