Wife has breast cancer...

She's 58, no breast cancer with mom and sisters.
1 cm, stage 2.
Now to make the most agonizing decision:
Mastectomy or lumpectomy.
Surgeon wants to do the latter.
Any help on this will surely be appreciated.
Thank you so much.
Wife was in same boat a couple years ago, and while doctors wanted to remove the lump and do chemo, she opted for a double mastectomy and reconstruction surgery. So far, Cancer free.
It is a shitty choice either way, but she had no interest in Chemotherapy.

1 cm, stage 2.
Thank you so much.

Its not just the stage of the cancer that needs to be considered, but also the grade of the cancer, as to how aggressive it appears to the pathologist that did the biopsy. More indolent cancers call for less aggressive treatments.

My wife went through it last year
Stage 2
She did 18 rounds of Chemo….It was quite an ordeal

I am hesitant to give advice on further surgery as that is something you need to discuss with your doctor.

Wife was in same boat a couple years ago, and while doctors wanted to remove the lump and do chemo, she opted for a double mastectomy and reconstruction surgery. So far, Cancer free.
It is a shitty choice either way, but she had no interest in Chemotherapy.
They said no chemo - but 5 weeks of radiation therapy following lumpectomy.

The question in the OP is very complicated. The short answer (sadly) is necessarily, “it depends.”

It depends on the stats associated with the relative success rates of lumpectomy (under her circumstances) versus mastectomy.

It also depends on other factors including her own psychology. (I read some years back a psychological journal about women’s’ feeling about their own self worth based on their breasts, for example). So, maybe one woman would feel utterly ruined by giving up her breast or breasts. But another woman might shrug it off (at age 58) and be content with reconstructive surgery a bit later.

Also, it depends on how she might handle the choice to have chemo (and deal with its many known side effects) versus the less drastic impact of radiation treatments.

All choices are the intertwined. It’s all complicated. But ultimately, it comes down to risk tolerance I suspect.

Best of luck.

As is always the best advice, providing all American women with free Mammograms every year could have minimized this tragic occurrence.

Obama's ACA was only allowed to deal with part of the problem.

My wife went through it last year
Stage 2
She did 18 rounds of Chemo….It was quite an ordeal

I am hesitant to give advice on further surgery as that is something you need to discuss with your doctor.
I understand, and of course we have discussed with her PCP and surgeon. I suppose I'm just looking for some support from others that have been through this...

1 cm, stage 2.
Thank you so much.
Sounds like PJ, in her 40s. There did turn out to be lymph node involvement (3 node removed at same time) and she was judged to be affected by hormones, so that therapy was out. She went lumpectomy. You need guys to really read, study and understand on her individual case, to make the decisions with her doctors (plural). Good luck to you both. You got this.:cool:

Sounds like PJ, in her 40s. There did turn out to be lymph node involvement (3 node removed at same time) and she was judged to be affected by hormones, so that therapy was out. She went lumpectomy. You need guys to really read, study and understand on her individual case, to make the decisions with her doctors (plural). Good luck to you both. You got this.:cool:
My wife's is also effected by hormones. She would be on that therapy also following lumpectomy.

We were fortunate in that we caught it early. No visible lumps - it was a mammogram that found it.
Good for your wife! A year from now she will be disqualified for having a free Mammogram. Don't hesitate to pay whatever it takes for a repeat at least once a year!

As is always the best advice, providing all American women with free Mammograms every year could have minimized this tragic occurrence.

Obama's ACA was only allowed to deal with part of the problem.
What the hell are you talking about?
My wife got an mammogram every year covered by insurance and that is what caught it.

You assume far too much about America out of ignorance.

The first decision for American women is to pay whatever it takes to be proactive on having a Mammogram at 'least' once a year.

The first decision for American women is to pay whatever it takes to be proactive on having a Mammogram at 'least' once a year.
Educate yourself...

Every policy, plan, certificate, or contract referred to in subdivision 1 that provides coverage to a Minnesota resident must provide coverage for routine screening procedures for cancer and the office or facility visit, including mammograms, surveillance tests for ovarian cancer for women who are at risk for ovarian ...

Forum List

Back