My Wife Was Diagnosed with ILC (Invasive Lobular Carcinoma)

Geaux4it

Intensity Factor 4-Fold
May 31, 2009
Tennessee
I thought hard whether I would post such personal information as I know some here at USMB will take great joy in our plight but I will ignore it. There are multiple reasons I suppose..... getting it off my chest...... helping others who come after us on how and what treatment is out there today for ILC.

She is 56 years old. Has had a couple biopsy's over the years all benign. During her yearly checkup (mammogram) at Vanderbilt Breast Clinic a sharp eyed radiologist spotted something of concern. That led to an ultrasound which led to a needle biopsy. Test came back positive for ILC, which is the second most common form of breast cancer, but is often very hard to detect. It is a cancer that has spread out from the milk ducts, and in cases, infecting the lymph nodes. We met with a very renowned surgeon who has scheduled her for a lumpectomy (Jan 7) and will take 3 strands of lymph nodes to test whether it has spread there. In the meantime they scheduled an MRI to see if there was anything they missed from previous test. Found out yesterday they have noticed another lump in the same breast, so she has another biopsy to do prior to the scheduled surgery as it may change our treatment strategy. Once the surgery is completed, at a minimum she will have 5 weeks of daily radiation therapy M-F.

We have been married 27 years and have known each other a couple years longer. My wife is tough as nails and is more concerned about me and others who love her than herself. She has never been one to put herself first, above others. One of the reasons I love her so dearly as that is not a trait I have much experience with.

It's going to be a tough road ahead for her and me I know. But I have told her I/m her rock, her person to hate, love, cry with and all the other things that come with it. There will be less time for things we like to do, like flying our plane or just walking down to the chicken coupe to watch the chickens peck the ground. I suspect my time here at USMB will be greatly reduced, but I'll stop in from time to time and provide an update on how she's doing.

So I guess that's all I wanted to say..

-Geaux

Last edited:
I thought hard whether I would post such personal information as I know some here at USMB will take great joy in our plight but I will ignore it. There are multiple reasons I suppose..... getting it off my chest...... helping others who come after us on how and what treatment is out there today for ILC.

She is 56 years old. Has had a couple biopsy's over the years all benign. During her yearly checkup (mammogram) at Vanderbilt Breast Clinic a sharp eyed radiologist spotted something of concern. That led to an ultrasound which led to a needle biopsy. Test came back positive for ILC, which is the second most common form of breast cancer, but is often very hard to detect. It is a cancer that has spread out from the milk ducts, and in cases, infecting the lymph nodes. We met with a very renowned surgeon who has scheduled her for a lumpectomy (Jan 7) and will take 3 strands of lymph nodes to test whether it has spread there. In the meantime they scheduled an MRI to see if there was anything they missed from previous test. Found out yesterday they have noticed another lump in the same breast, so she has another biopsy to do prior to the scheduled surgery as it may change our treatment strategy. Once the surgery is completed, at a minimum she will have 5 weeks of daily radiation therapy M-F.

We have been married 27 years and have known each other a couple years longer. My wife is tough as nails and is more concerned about me and others who love her than herself. She has never been one to put herself first, above others. One of the reasons I love her so dearly as that is not a trait I have much experience with.

It's going to be a tough road ahead for her and me I know. But I have told her I/m her rock, her person to hate, love, cry with and all the other things that come with it. There will be less time for things we like to do, like flying our plane or just walking down to the chicken coupe to watch the chickens peck the ground. I suspect my time here at USMB will be greatly reduced, but I'll stop in from time to time and provide an update on how she's doing.

-Geaux

I'm so sorry, Geaux.

I'm so sorry about this, Geaux. You and your wife are in my prayers. Please keep us informed.

Sorry to hear this...….but know that you are not alone. There are several members here (or family member) that has or has had some type of cancer. You both are in my thoughts & prayers. :smiliehug: Hugs to you both

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Everyone, stop with the "sorry" business.

Breast cancer isn't a death sentence anymore like it was 20-30 years ago. It's serious and of course it's natural to be worried, but there's no reason why you and your wife won't spend another 20-30 years together.

Get her the proper treatment, be vigilant, be a rock for her, and be POSITIVE!! Have absolutely no doubt in your mind that you two will get through this.

My sweetie is a breast cancer survivor. The treatment for breast cancer has never been more successful. Help her stay at it and stay positive. I hope for the best for her, for you and for y'all.

-Geaux

This is a tough "pill to swallow" (pardon the pun), BUT, treatments have come so far. With your support and her positive attitude and lots of prayers and faith, I believe things can turn out just fine. I will pray for you!

Sorry to hear this...….but know that you are not alone. There are several members here (or family member) that has or has had some type of cancer. You both are in my thoughts & prayers. :smiliehug: Hugs to you both

almost everyone can relate on some level.... i believe cancer is the devil, & the devil doesn't discriminate against what color, gender, sex, or political ideology you have.

A few things, Geaux.

First, we've made great advancements in the treatment of cancer. A good friend of mine is a professor of chemistry, and he studies cancers and has patents for treatments. He tells me that cancer - which is really a series of different types of diseases - is on the way to being a treatable disease like diabetes. It may not be completely curable and treatable in your and my lifetimes, but it probably will be in our kids' lifetimes. We're on a continuum on understanding of cancers, and we know way, way more than we did a generation ago. For example, a friend of mine died of multiple myeloma nearly 15 years ago at 35 years of age. Had he been diagnosed a decade later, he'd almost certainly be alive today.

Second, you never know how individuals will react to cancer. In the early 80s, my grandfather was diagnosed with stomach cancer. The doctors had to cut out three-quarters of his stomach. They told him that he wouldn't live for more than five years and he'd never eat a full meal again. Well, nine months later, he was pounding back a turkey dinner at Thanksgiving, and he died at the age of 93, 20 years after his original diagnosis. Yes, he did eventually die of cancer, but he was such a tough old bird that if cancer hadn't gotten him, I'm sure God would have sent a bus to run him over lol

That's why it's so important to stay positive. Your attitude should be "Fuck this, we're going to beat cancer into the ground" and have absolutely zero doubt about it.

A few things, Geaux.

First, we've made great advancements in the treatment of cancer. A good friend of mine is a professor of chemistry, and he studies cancers and has patents for treatments. He tells me that cancer - which is really a series of different types of diseases - is on the way to being a treatable disease like diabetes. It may not be completely curable and treatable in your and my lifetimes, but it probably will be in our kids' lifetimes. We're on a continuum on understanding of cancers, and we know way, way more than we did a generation ago. For example, a friend of mine died of multiple myeloma nearly 15 years ago at 35 years of age. Had he been diagnosed a decade later, he'd almost certainly be alive today.

Second, you never know how individuals will react to cancer. In the early 80s, my grandfather was diagnosed with stomach cancer. The doctors had to cut out three-quarters of his stomach. They told him that he wouldn't live for more than five years and he'd never eat a full meal again. Well, nine months later, he was pounding back a turkey dinner at Thanksgiving, and he died at the age of 93, 20 years after his original diagnosis. Yes, he did eventually die of cancer, but he was such a tough old bird that if cancer hadn't gotten him, I'm sure God would have sent a bus to run him over lol

That's why it's so important to stay positive. Your attitude should be "Fuck this, we're going to beat cancer into the ground" and have absolutely zero doubt about it.

my aunt & her daughter were both diagnosed with breast cancer decadeS ago & are still around enjoying life. i know people who has survived testicular, prostate, & leukemia cancers

A few things, Geaux.

Thanks Toro and everyone else, I appreciate your support

We will beat this down like Bama does my LSU Tigers.

-Geaux

Sorry to hear that. She sounds like a lovely person. As other posters have said there are advancements in such treatment. I don't know if you have kids, but it may be difficult for them. I hope you have a good support system with friends and family. Attitude matters and in the end we all pray that all turns out well.

-Geaux

Stay strong, stay positive. You and your wife are in my prayers.

Forum List

Back