My son may have ADHD

I am not wanting to scare you Luissa.

Please do everything you can to not medicate.

My nephew was "diagnosed" with ADHD, when he was about 9. Was on meds for the rest of his life..

He is no longer with us. Passed in November of 2012 :(

Before the meds, he was hyper and needed help to focus, but it was better than his ultimate alternative :(

Yeah I am scared to medicate.
I just want him to have a good education. I have ADD, and it was ignored. The only reason why I graduated is because I test well.

My son has ADD (not the hyper-active type). He's 31 yrs old now. When he was in 2nd grade he was really struggling to learn to read and concentrate on other work and would cry he didn't want to go to school. He was diagnosed with ADD, and put on Ritalin. At the time it was like a God-send, he excelled! He kept taking it through Junior high when he got into wrestling. I THOUGHT he was taking it through High School and found out when he decided to enlist in the National Guard that he hadn't taken it since he'd been in 9th grade! He wasn't taking it and just throwing the pill out! And he had gone all through high school being in sports and never once did his grades go low where he couldn't participate in sports, he was actually doing real well. He had just decided he didn't want to take it any longer and he had to make himself excel. He's now been in the Army for 10 yrs, and just finishing his Psy Ops training.

So i'd say don't worry about it too much. You might try the medication and see how it helps him for awhile. It did help my son a lot when he was younger, he just learned how to deal with it because he was determined. My husband has adult ADD (I think he's hyper too!!!). They say it is, or can be, hereditary. I know it's hard to put your kids on medication, but lots of times it can help.....

It's a new name for hyperactivity. It's one of those renamed things like senility and Alzheimer's. My nephew has it it, and I think he's taking Prozac.
The worst thing you can do to a kid is medcate him. My Sister did that to her oldest son and he ended up going to Prison.

Don't f*ckin' medicate your kids no matter what! You know it's not good for them!

Your suggestion about getting him off of sugar, changing his diet is good. Even too much sugar in fruits can make a kid hyper.

Funny thing is I don't allow him to eat like crap too much, plus the kid loves vegetables. I actually give him my peas. Lol
With my work schedule he is with my parents at night, who are pretty old school. They have a normal home made dinner most nights and they eat at the dinner table.
Of course they also spoil him with cookies.

I will never put him on Prozac. I think that is a horrible drug.

my son has add (not the hyper-active type). He's 31 yrs old now. When he was in 2nd grade he was really struggling to learn to read and concentrate on other work and would cry he didn't want to go to school. He was diagnosed with add, and put on ritalin. At the time it was like a god-send, he excelled! He kept taking it through junior high when he got into wrestling. I thought he was taking it through high school and found out when he decided to enlist in the national guard that he hadn't taken it since he'd been in 9th grade! He wasn't taking it and just throwing the pill out! And he had gone all through high school being in sports and never once did his grades go low where he couldn't participate in sports, he was actually doing real well. He had just decided he didn't want to take it any longer and he had to make himself excel. He's now been in the army for 10 yrs, and just finishing his psy ops training.

So i'd say don't worry about it too much. You might try the medication and see how it helps him for awhile. It did help my son a lot when he was younger, he just learned how to deal with it because he was determined. My husband has adult add (i think he's hyper too!!!). they say it is, or can be, hereditary. i know it's hard to put your kids on medication, but lots of times it can help.....

how can they say its hereditary when there is not a single diagnostic test ?

The worst thing you can do to a kid is medcate him. My Sister did that to her oldest son and he ended up going to Prison.

Don't f*ckin' medicate your kids no matter what! You know it's not good for them!

Your suggestion about getting him off of sugar, changing his diet is good. Even too much sugar in fruits can make a kid hyper.

I agree with that. Usually though after years of early intervention, now meetings with school staff, it's been tried, with little or no results. Of course if not, I wholeheartedly agree.

What isn't fair is the piling on by others that claim to have 'cured' and threaten the child will end up in prison if meds are used. If anyone claimed the opposite regarding putting kid on meds, I'd be equally appalled. This is between mother and docs and all really taking into account what is happening with this one particular child.

I've seen some kids on meds before and it is pretty scarey. I wonder if their attention span is changed at all like are they focused at all or just sedate.

I had a meeting with my son's teacher's and school psychologist, and they recommended I take him to a pediatrician that specializes in ADHD etc to be tested for ADHD. Many of you have might already know I have had my son in special programs since before he was two, and that they had diagnosed him with a sensory perception disorder when all this first started.

II have read some on it, but not a lot. The whole thing is scary at this point, for one I have no clue how I feel about medication, how to treat it, and even the diagnoses of ADHD. Feedback, recommendations, stories would be great. Thanks.

I don't know where you're located, but if possible I'd go with a pediatric neurologist, rather than a pediatrician that 'specializes' in ADD or ADHD. Will be able to administer the cognitive tests, teacher/parent surveys, EEG, and prescribe if necessary any meds.

My father's friend who worked for CPS and other children's services recommended the same doctor. I believe he said they usually send them to a neurologist due to the many forms of ADHD to see which part of the brain etc it effects.

I had a meeting with my son's teacher's and school psychologist, and they recommended I take him to a pediatrician that specializes in ADHD etc to be tested for ADHD. Many of you have might already know I have had my son in special programs since before he was two, and that they had diagnosed him with a sensory perception disorder when all this first started.

II have read some on it, but not a lot. The whole thing is scary at this point, for one I have no clue how I feel about medication, how to treat it, and even the diagnoses of ADHD. Feedback, recommendations, stories would be great. Thanks.

First worry about the tests, when you get the diagnoses, then worry about the rest. Oh, and since the school recommended it, if your insurance won't cover it, tell the school you need a voucher to take him for the tests. They recommended it, they are legally obligated to pay for it. At least that's how it used to be.

My first son was diagnosed with ADHD originally, later it was changed to Asperger's Syndrome. I did a lot of research although it's been some years I may be able to answer some of your questions. First of all, the medication may help, it may not. If it is ADHD, it will, but there will be side effects. My recommendation is if you go with the medication, watch him carefully and don't give it to him when he's not in school. Coffee, believe it or not, may be better for him than the medication. The caffeine will help him calm down. I know that sounds weird but stimulants actually do the opposite for kids with hyperactivity. Do not do something just because the school recommends it or pushes for it. You have rights. Make sure you child is on an IEP. Independent Education Plan. Find out what organization in your state helps parents of special needs kids. In Washington State it's PAVE (Parents are Vital in Education). They will help you to understand the IEPs and how to get your son on one. If he doesn't qualify for an IEP, he will qualify for a 504 I think that's what it's called in this state. Basically it says the schools have to provide "accommodations" for him so that he can learn. This could mean something as simple as someone reading the questions to him on a test and taking down his verbal answers if he can't focus enough to write his answers down himself. It could require them to provide him with notes from classes that someone else takes for him. IMO you should get your kid active. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT let them punish him by making him stay in at recess. That just makes the hyperactivity worse. He'll do better if he can get out and run for a few minutes before having to sit in a class again.

If your child is on an IEP, remember the school district gets EXTRA money for your child so don't let them complain about having to provide "speech therapy" "physical therapy" etc. They get money to pay for that. Unfortunately the district gets that money, not the school, not the classroom and not the student, so they are very very stingy as they don't want to spend it on your son even though that's why they get it. I would call the state Department of Education as ask them how much the district gets for a child with a health impairment which is what ADHD is considered. Then you will be armed when you go in for your IEP meeting. It would also help if you can get a liason from your parents organization to come with you.

Obviously there is lots more, feel free to message me and I'll answer all questions I can. My kids are 25 and 28 now so it's been awhile but I remember the fight very well. Thankfully it's easier now, just remember that you are the best advocate your child has, you know your child better than anyone, even the doctors.

Last edited:
I am not wanting to scare you Luissa.

Please do everything you can to not medicate.

My nephew was "diagnosed" with ADHD, when he was about 9. Was on meds for the rest of his life..

He is no longer with us. Passed in November of 2012 :(

Before the meds, he was hyper and needed help to focus, but it was better than his ultimate alternative :(

Yeah I am scared to medicate.
I just want him to have a good education. I have ADD, and it was ignored. The only reason why I graduated is because I test well.

Ask your Dr. about vitamin D

ADHD treatments: ADHD and Vitamin D Deficiency: Any Evidence?

My son has ADD (not the hyper-active type). He's 31 yrs old now. When he was in 2nd grade he was really struggling to learn to read and concentrate on other work and would cry he didn't want to go to school. He was diagnosed with ADD, and put on Ritalin. At the time it was like a God-send, he excelled! He kept taking it through Junior high when he got into wrestling. I THOUGHT he was taking it through High School and found out when he decided to enlist in the National Guard that he hadn't taken it since he'd been in 9th grade! He wasn't taking it and just throwing the pill out! And he had gone all through high school being in sports and never once did his grades go low where he couldn't participate in sports, he was actually doing real well. He had just decided he didn't want to take it any longer and he had to make himself excel. He's now been in the Army for 10 yrs, and just finishing his Psy Ops training.

So i'd say don't worry about it too much. You might try the medication and see how it helps him for awhile. It did help my son a lot when he was younger, he just learned how to deal with it because he was determined. My husband has adult ADD (I think he's hyper too!!!). They say it is, or can be, hereditary. I know it's hard to put your kids on medication, but lots of times it can help.....

Yeah, I believe it can be heredity too. I for one have ADD, I know my mom has either or.
The reason I do what I do is because I don't get bored. Getting bored is my down fall, I usually just move on and don't finish a task. I have thought about getting medicated myself, don't know if I am ready to put my son on medication though.

I've seen kids on Ritalin or others from the early years, that by middle or high school give up the meds and it seems for most of them, they'd learned coping strategies. Perhaps those early years on meds gave them the focus to listen to learning strategies and behavior cues they may have missed without? I don't really know.

What I've also seen is homeschooling can be an alternative, if the parents have the resources and inclination.

What is the saddest of all is a small child being diagnosed or failing to be diagnosed because the parent doesn't want to cope or admit. School is hell for the child and that child disrupts the classroom, creating personality conflicts and often social issues too. Many parent meetings, most ending in tears or threats. By middle school the child is usually academically behind and very angry, for good reasons. Starting meds at this age is usually a horror for both child and parent. The hormones play havoc and most 12-15 year olds do not like the 'strangeness' they feel.

My significant other was diagnosed as having ADHD, however, she had lots of good professionals guiding and teaching her.
She went on to become a Psychologist who travels and lectures physicians, nurses and other health care professionals.
Your child will be fine. Get professional guidance and no medication should be necessary.

I had a first grade student who was medicated. His mother hated the effects of how it changed his personality, so she would not give it to him on the weekends. As a result, Mondays were very difficult for him, and I don't think the roller coaster was helpful. Medication would be a last resort for me. I think if the doctors know that a parent is very hesitant to use it, then hopefully they wouldn't be so quick to offer it initially before other options.

my son has add (not the hyper-active type). He's 31 yrs old now. When he was in 2nd grade he was really struggling to learn to read and concentrate on other work and would cry he didn't want to go to school. He was diagnosed with add, and put on ritalin. At the time it was like a god-send, he excelled! He kept taking it through junior high when he got into wrestling. I thought he was taking it through high school and found out when he decided to enlist in the national guard that he hadn't taken it since he'd been in 9th grade! He wasn't taking it and just throwing the pill out! And he had gone all through high school being in sports and never once did his grades go low where he couldn't participate in sports, he was actually doing real well. He had just decided he didn't want to take it any longer and he had to make himself excel. He's now been in the army for 10 yrs, and just finishing his psy ops training.

So i'd say don't worry about it too much. You might try the medication and see how it helps him for awhile. It did help my son a lot when he was younger, he just learned how to deal with it because he was determined. My husband has adult add (i think he's hyper too!!!). They say it is, or can be, hereditary. I know it's hard to put your kids on medication, but lots of times it can help.....

yeah, i believe it can be heredity too. I for one have add, i know my mom has either or.
The reason i do what i do is because i don't get bored. Getting bored is my down fall, i usually just move on and don't finish a task. I have thought about getting medicated myself, don't know if i am ready to put my son on medication though.

you are taking personality traits and calling them medical disorders with zero medical evidence.. Its maddnesss

i had a first grade student who was medicated. His mother hated the effects of how it changed his personality, so she would not give it to him on the weekends. As a result, mondays were very difficult for him, and i don't think the roller coaster was helpful. Medication would be a last resort for me. I think if the doctors know that a parent is very hesitant to use it, then hopefully they wouldn't be so quick to offer it initially before other options.

maybe he just didn't like mondays

How old is your son now? I had not heard of sensory perception disorder so I looked it up and came across this article. It mentions ADHD as commonly found in children with sensory perception disorder.

Mainly, I think a professional will give better advice but I would be sure to get a few professional opinions and then go with your gut on who is giving you the best solutions.

Sensory issues are associated with autism because they are common in children and adults on the autism spectrum, though most children with SPD are not on the spectrum. They can also be found in those with ADHD, OCD and other developmental delays -- or with no other diagnosis at all

What Is Sensory Processing Disorder? How To Diagnose Children With Sensory Issues

Yeah when he first was diagnosed they said he could have ADHD, but they don't diagnose that young.
He is five now.
He is hyperactive but he isn't like some of the kids I have seen. For one he can be well behaved. When we go out in public he can behave better than many kids his age. He also plays well with other children.

You sound like a very caring involved mother.

At the end of the day it is a private decision and should be done after careful evaluation of your son's needs, professional opinions and the mother gut instinct.

I am sure you will do your best whatever decision you make and your son sounds to be doing very well in spite of the diagnosis he already was given with the sensory perception disorder.

Nothing to worry about because he has you on top of things. :cool:

I agree with that. Usually though after years of early intervention, now meetings with school staff, it's been tried, with little or no results. Of course if not, I wholeheartedly agree.

What isn't fair is the piling on by others that claim to have 'cured' and threaten the child will end up in prison if meds are used. If anyone claimed the opposite regarding putting kid on meds, I'd be equally appalled. This is between mother and docs and all really taking into account what is happening with this one particular child.

I've seen some kids on meds before and it is pretty scarey. I wonder if their attention span is changed at all like are they focused at all or just sedate.

Those kids then were over medicated. From my knowledge, the kids on Ritalin or Wellbutrin, one can't tell. They take the dose M-F in morning, off on weekends and vacations. Not a huge difference that an observer could tell, 'hyper kids' are still very active. The big difference though is when the teacher says, "Susan, make sure to write this down," or "You need to look at me for a few minutes and listen." Often there will be some physical cue too, like 'red, yellow, green' circles or something. The teacher can walk around class and 'warn' or 'praise' for paying attention or staying on task.

Meds don't and shouldn't take away personality, just give the kid a chance to be able to focus.

The one 'big' signpost to look for, these drugs are actually pretty quick acting. If within 48 hours the parent doesn't see a difference in the response of the child, the drug isn't working.

Forum List

Back