My son may have ADHD

Luissa

Annoying Customer
Sep 7, 2008
TARDIS
I had a meeting with my son's teacher's and school psychologist, and they recommended I take him to a pediatrician that specializes in ADHD etc to be tested for ADHD. Many of you have might already know I have had my son in special programs since before he was two, and that they had diagnosed him with a sensory perception disorder when all this first started.

II have read some on it, but not a lot. The whole thing is scary at this point, for one I have no clue how I feel about medication, how to treat it, and even the diagnoses of ADHD. Feedback, recommendations, stories would be great. Thanks.

How old is your son now? I had not heard of sensory perception disorder so I looked it up and came across this article. It mentions ADHD as commonly found in children with sensory perception disorder.

Mainly, I think a professional will give better advice but I would be sure to get a few professional opinions and then go with your gut on who is giving you the best solutions.

Sensory issues are associated with autism because they are common in children and adults on the autism spectrum, though most children with SPD are not on the spectrum. They can also be found in those with ADHD, OCD and other developmental delays -- or with no other diagnosis at all

What Is Sensory Processing Disorder? How To Diagnose Children With Sensory Issues

I wouldn't be surprised to find there are people posting on this board who live with ADHD.

I had a meeting with my son's teacher's and school psychologist, and they recommended I take him to a pediatrician that specializes in ADHD etc to be tested for ADHD. Many of you have might already know I have had my son in special programs since before he was two, and that they had diagnosed him with a sensory perception disorder when all this first started.

II have read some on it, but not a lot. The whole thing is scary at this point, for one I have no clue how I feel about medication, how to treat it, and even the diagnoses of ADHD. Feedback, recommendations, stories would be great. Thanks.

Oh they must have some better solutions than harsh medications by now..

I agree, get a couple of opinions. Research it.

It's a new name for hyperactivity. It's one of those renamed things like senility and Alzheimer's. My nephew has it it, and I think he's taking Prozac.

The geniuses at the first DOD school my oldest son attended said the same thing and wanted to medicate him. I said no and put him in Montesori and then a Japanese School where he did just fine. If he really couldn't pay attention then how did he catch up to the other kids in a different school and a different language? Schools Adminstartors don't know what they're talking about, that's why.

Some Kids have what I call an "excess of personality". My son is now a well adjusted young man with a wife and a son, no medication was needed.

If he's a bit uncontrollable then maybe you should look into adjusting his diet and getting rid of sugar, artificial flavoring, no vaccines, and things like that.

you are in control.

do what works and dont be affraid to listen to your heart.

Good luck and remember to do your homework.

He will be OK

Oh they must have some better solutions than harsh medications by now..

I agree, get a couple of opinions. Research it.

the so called treatment is meth.anphetimines

It's a new name for hyperactivity. It's one of those renamed things like senility and Alzheimer's. My nephew has it it, and I think he's taking Prozac.
The worst thing you can do to a kid is medcate him. My Sister did that to her oldest son and he ended up going to Prison.

Don't f*ckin' medicate your kids no matter what! You know it's not good for them!

I don't know where you're located, but if possible I'd go with a pediatric neurologist, rather than a pediatrician that 'specializes' in ADD or ADHD. Will be able to administer the cognitive tests, teacher/parent surveys, EEG, and prescribe if necessary any meds.

ADHD drugs helped me a lot as an adult.

Might have been life changing as a child.

After some time with the drugs I began to have physical side effects -- like skin disintegration which I got a biopsy for -- but then one doctor made the connection and I started taking lots of Vitamin E and/or Fish Oil and that helped.

Whatever drugs he takes, behavioral counseling is still advisable. Use the drugs to enable things like learning to maintain a healthy routine and not as a cure-all in themselves.

My $.02

The worst thing you can do to a kid is medcate him. My Sister did that to her oldest son and he ended up going to Prison.

Don't f*ckin' medicate your kids no matter what! You know it's not good for them!

Your suggestion about getting him off of sugar, changing his diet is good. Even too much sugar in fruits can make a kid hyper.

i had a meeting with my son's teacher's and school psychologist, and they recommended i take him to a pediatrician that specializes in adhd etc to be tested for adhd. Many of you have might already know i have had my son in special programs since before he was two, and that they had diagnosed him with a sensory perception disorder when all this first started.

Ii have read some on it, but not a lot. The whole thing is scary at this point, for one i have no clue how i feel about medication, how to treat it, and even the diagnoses of adhd. Feedback, recommendations, stories would be great. Thanks.

i don't know where you're located, but if possible i'd go with a pediatric neurologist, rather than a pediatrician that 'specializes' in add or adhd. Will be able to administer the cognitive tests, teacher/parent surveys, eeg, and prescribe if necessary any meds.

EEG ??..there is no medical test of anykind for this made up disorder

I am not wanting to scare you Luissa.

Please do everything you can to not medicate.

My nephew was "diagnosed" with ADHD, when he was about 9. Was on meds for the rest of his life..

He is no longer with us. Passed in November of 2012 :(

Before the meds, he was hyper and needed help to focus, but it was better than his ultimate alternative :(

How old is your son now? I had not heard of sensory perception disorder so I looked it up and came across this article. It mentions ADHD as commonly found in children with sensory perception disorder.

Mainly, I think a professional will give better advice but I would be sure to get a few professional opinions and then go with your gut on who is giving you the best solutions.

Sensory issues are associated with autism because they are common in children and adults on the autism spectrum, though most children with SPD are not on the spectrum. They can also be found in those with ADHD, OCD and other developmental delays -- or with no other diagnosis at all

What Is Sensory Processing Disorder? How To Diagnose Children With Sensory Issues

Yeah when he first was diagnosed they said he could have ADHD, but they don't diagnose that young.
He is five now.
He is hyperactive but he isn't like some of the kids I have seen. For one he can be well behaved. When we go out in public he can behave better than many kids his age. He also plays well with other children.

Your suggestion about getting him off of sugar, changing his diet is good. Even too much sugar in fruits can make a kid hyper.

I agree with that. Usually though after years of early intervention, now meetings with school staff, it's been tried, with little or no results. Of course if not, I wholeheartedly agree.

What isn't fair is the piling on by others that claim to have 'cured' and threaten the child will end up in prison if meds are used. If anyone claimed the opposite regarding putting kid on meds, I'd be equally appalled. This is between mother and docs and all really taking into account what is happening with this one particular child.

Forum List

Back