My son may have ADHD

L, I'd do a lot of research and would try dietary changes (limiting/eliminating crap, try gluten free,etc.), get him involved in activities to burn off the energy before turning to meds.

Here's a good place to start: Overview of the Feingold Diet Program for ADHD

We did soccer this year, that helped.

Lucky for me, even though I am a single mom my father is very involved with my son. While I work my parents take care of him and he does quite a bit with my dad. In the summer it is swimming etc, right now it is sledding or my dad takes him to run man errands.
The kid is smart, he has delays when testing but he can do what they are testing him for it is just getting him to pay attention when they test him. For instance, two weeks ago they said he wouldnt say his ABCs, but at home he says them just fine. He has pretty much taught himself how to read, but getting him to do it on demand is impossible. He likes to do when we are driving down the road looking at reader boards.

i had a first grade student who was medicated. His mother hated the effects of how it changed his personality, so she would not give it to him on the weekends. As a result, mondays were very difficult for him, and i don't think the roller coaster was helpful. Medication would be a last resort for me. I think if the doctors know that a parent is very hesitant to use it, then hopefully they wouldn't be so quick to offer it initially before other options.

maybe he just didn't like mondays

No, the mother explained to me that she wanted her son to be "fully with her" when they spent quality time together on the weekends, and she didn't mind dealing with his behavior, yet felt they were necessary for him to focus during class. The meds wouldn't be in full effect on a Monday like they would the other school days, so it was more challenging. But I understood her position, and I loved my student, so we worked closely together on handling any situations.

How old is your son now? I had not heard of sensory perception disorder so I looked it up and came across this article. It mentions ADHD as commonly found in children with sensory perception disorder.

Mainly, I think a professional will give better advice but I would be sure to get a few professional opinions and then go with your gut on who is giving you the best solutions.

What Is Sensory Processing Disorder? How To Diagnose Children With Sensory Issues

Yeah when he first was diagnosed they said he could have ADHD, but they don't diagnose that young.
He is five now.
He is hyperactive but he isn't like some of the kids I have seen. For one he can be well behaved. When we go out in public he can behave better than many kids his age. He also plays well with other children.

You sound like a very caring involved mother.

At the end of the day it is a private decision and should be done after careful evaluation of your son's needs, professional opinions and the mother gut instinct.

I am sure you will do your best whatever decision you make and your son sounds to be doing very well in spite of the diagnosis he already was given with the sensory perception disorder.

Nothing to worry about because he has you on top of things. :cool:

I have a good support system. ;)
Yeah I am single mom, but my son lives a pretty good life due to my support system. He probably has more than kids with two parents. I am very lucky.

I had a first grade student who was medicated. His mother hated the effects of how it changed his personality, so she would not give it to him on the weekends. As a result, Mondays were very difficult for him, and I don't think the roller coaster was helpful. Medication would be a last resort for me. I think if the doctors know that a parent is very hesitant to use it, then hopefully they wouldn't be so quick to offer it initially before other options.

The teacher should be willing to 'suffer' through difficult Mondays. Mondays may be that child's day to be the the messenger around the school and the one who passes out papers.

The kid's system does need the breaks from the meds, same with vacations. Too many teachers fail to find out the less than optimal side effects, for them, 'It's all about school.' These meds in younger children tend to make it very difficult for them to sleep. They also tend to suppress appetite, leading to either weight loss or less than normal growth. While parents worry about school, their child's overall health is the prime motivator.

Last edited:
i had a first grade student who was medicated. His mother hated the effects of how it changed his personality, so she would not give it to him on the weekends. As a result, mondays were very difficult for him, and i don't think the roller coaster was helpful. Medication would be a last resort for me. I think if the doctors know that a parent is very hesitant to use it, then hopefully they wouldn't be so quick to offer it initially before other options.

maybe he just didn't like mondays

No, the mother explained to me that she wanted her son to be "fully with her" when they spent quality time together on the weekends, and she didn't mind dealing with his behavior, yet felt they were necessary for him to focus during class. The meds wouldn't be in full effect on a Monday like they would the other school days, so it was more challenging. But I understood her position, and I loved my student, so we worked closely together on handling any situations.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISFPJL66p4c]Drugging Children - YouTube[/ame]

I had a first grade student who was medicated. His mother hated the effects of how it changed his personality, so she would not give it to him on the weekends. As a result, Mondays were very difficult for him, and I don't think the roller coaster was helpful. Medication would be a last resort for me. I think if the doctors know that a parent is very hesitant to use it, then hopefully they wouldn't be so quick to offer it initially before other options.

The teacher should be willing to 'suffer' through difficult Mondays. Mondays may be that child's day to be the the messenger around the school and the one who passes out papers.

The kid's system does need the breaks from the meds, same with vacations. Too many teachers fail to find out the less than optimal side effects, for them, 'It's all about school.' These meds in younger children tend to make it very difficult for them to sleep. They also tend to suppress appetite, leading to either weight loss or normal growth. While parents worry about school, their child's overall health is the prime motivator.

I never even hinted that I had to suffer through anything. It was challenging for the student. The mother was concerned and involved enough to explain everything to me so that we could work as a team. Luissa asked for any experiences we may have had with the situation, and I gave mine to further inform her. So if you were attempting to lecture me, save it for someone who needs it.:D

My youngest boy was quite hyperactive. He was 6 when we divorced and the ex promptly had him taking Ritalin. I withheld them on my weekend visits. I'd rather have had him bouncing around than staring like a zombie.

Anhow- I'd grind up his Rit and snort it. :thup:
Pretty damn good speed.

The kid's system does need the breaks from the meds, same with vacations. Too many teachers fail to find out the less than optimal side effects, for them, 'It's all about school.' These meds in younger children tend to make it very difficult for them to sleep. They also tend to suppress appetite, leading to either weight loss or normal growth. While parents worry about school, their child's overall health is the prime motivator.

I never even hinted that I had to suffer through anything. It was challenging for the student. The mother was concerned and involved enough to explain everything to me so that we could work as a team. Luissa asked for any experiences we may have had with the situation, and I gave mine to further inform her. So if you were attempting to lecture me, save it for someone who needs it.:D

I put that badly, I meant 'teachers in general,' I apologize for it sounding personal.

I put that badly, I meant 'teachers in general,' I apologize for it sounding personal.

Team Methylphenidate

Team Methylphenidate

Whatever the fuck that means...perhaps it has something to do with the video you posted that I still didn't watch.:D

Team Methylphenidate

Whatever the fuck that means...perhaps it has something to do with the video you posted that I still didn't watch.:D

Me neither, though I will. My guess a nutty shrink, who'd ever thunk such a creature exists?

I do know that as a parent, I'd head for a neurologist first if available, a pediatrician second. Shrink? Not unless one of the others recommended, which is most unlikely with a child under 9.

Team Methylphenidate

that would be the so called medication given to children with this made up illness...as a educator you should know this

Team Methylphenidate

that would be the so called medication given to children with this made up illness...as a educator you should know this

I was a first grade teacher, not the school nurse.:lol: My job wasn't to diagnose the child or judge the parent's choice.

Poor sad eots. He needs more people to pay more attention to his spam. He's crying out. Here, eots, I'll toss you a bone.

The med I took was dextroamphetamine and it helped a LOT.

I was a first grade teacher, not the school nurse.:lol: My job wasn't to diagnose the child or judge the parent's choice.

if I called myself part of a team or institution that medicalized a childs personality and drugged them as a essential part of their education I would feel it incumbent on myself to know all the facts

poor sad eots. He needs more people to pay more attention to his spam. He's crying out. Here, eots, i'll toss you a bone.

The med i took was dextroamphetamine and it helped a lot.

yes a lot of cocain user make the same claim..some university students us amphetamines for a competitive edge or athletes on steroids.. in the short term we can use drugs to enhance performance but that is a different debate..the fact remain this is not a medical condition and there is no diagnostic test of anykind

Last edited:
I had a meeting with my son's teacher's and school psychologist, and they recommended I take him to a pediatrician that specializes in ADHD etc to be tested for ADHD. Many of you have might already know I have had my son in special programs since before he was two, and that they had diagnosed him with a sensory perception disorder when all this first started.

II have read some on it, but not a lot. The whole thing is scary at this point, for one I have no clue how I feel about medication, how to treat it, and even the diagnoses of ADHD. Feedback, recommendations, stories would be great. Thanks.

I don't know where you're located, but if possible I'd go with a pediatric neurologist, rather than a pediatrician that 'specializes' in ADD or ADHD. Will be able to administer the cognitive tests, teacher/parent surveys, EEG, and prescribe if necessary any meds.

This is good advice... A pediatric neurologist can do a subjective and objective assessment of your child and offer you a treatment plan, where you can then defer the medication, if recommended... Speak with the doctor about various alternatives to medication such as change in diet and routine, etc... You can always seek another opinion/approach from another doctor who is more amenable to your minimal approach and once you feel comfortable, you can move forward with whomever is willing work together over-time to maximize your son's potential, without ever having to necessarily medicate him. A pediatric neurologist will have all the best information and resources for you to make your own educated decision for your son...

if I called myself part of a team or institution that medicalized a childs personality and drugged them as a essential part of their education I would feel it incumbent on myself to know all the facts

I didn't administer the meds, nor did I have the right to say whether or not I agreed/supported it...but the mother did a great job of informing me, and I don't really feel inclined to share with you what methods I learned to assist my student. I also don't really care how you define "team" in that situation, or any other, because you come off as a pious douche.:lol:

Forum List

Back