My Fondest Memory Of John McCain

Mine

th

This videos speaks for itself :

The Al Smith Dinner is a great thing. Imagine that -- two political rivals trading self-effacing good humor.

Your video's too short though, here's the whole thing.

McCain always did have a strong sense of humor. If this was a debate he would have won it.

Like I said, McCain, while belittling and making fun of many republican tenets, stood there the very best advocate that Obama ever had. I honestly think that had McCain won, he would have APOLOGIZED to Obama for beating him. Don't hold your breath waiting for any democrat to reciprocate (except on behalf of McCain). Trump was right again.

McCain, a man whose career was punctuated by idealism, was actually profoundly affected by his war torture experience and it influenced his judgement the rest of his life.
  • After being tortured by the Vietnamese, McCain worked to conclude that there were no MIAs, then to normalize relations with Vietnam.
  • He voted to confirm Steven Breyer and Ruth Bader Ginsberg.
  • McCain was the senator who pioneered the term "maverick" meaning, not acting in his party's interest.
  • He was one of the first to use the fascist power of Washington to lean on private businesses he simply didn't like (the tobacco industry).
  • He wrote a memoir called Faith of My Fathers, strangely similar to Obama's Dreams From My Father.
  • A smear campaign that probably caused his 2000 defeat started the fracture with the GOP party which he blamed on the Bushes.
  • He advocated for enemy terrorist prisoner rights and to eliminate waterboarding of them.
  • McCain was NOT a natural born American, he was born in Panama, so was constitutionally ineligible to be president despite running twice.
  • In 2008, McCain lost most of the battleground states and even some traditionally republican ones.
To be sure, there were a few good things that McCain did too.

The Al Smith Dinner is a great thing. Imagine that -- two political rivals trading self-effacing good humor.

McCain always did have a strong sense of humor. If this was a debate he would have won it.

I wanted to post the whole thing....but was having problems finding it on my cell.

McCain was NOT a natural born American, he was born in Panama, so was constitutionally ineligible to be president despite running twice.

Then isn't it curious we didn't see Whirled Nuts Daily putting up "where's the birth certificate" billboards about McCain.

Anyway it's utter bullshit. His parents were Americans. He was born there because that's where his father was stationed. Congress actually passed a resolution, sponsored by Democrats, to acknowledge that in no uncertain terms.

In 2008, McCain lost most of the battleground states and even some traditionally republican ones.

In 2008 the economy was WAY in the crapper. Anybody associated with the status quo was going down, big time. Go make the same complaint about Herbert Hoover in 1932.

A smear campaign that probably caused his 2000 defeat started the fracture with the GOP party which he blamed on the Bushes.

When the Bush primary campaign robo-called voters in South Carolina asking "would you be less likely to vote for John McCain if you knew he had fathered an illegitimate black child", who the fuck is he supposed to blame? Freaking Santa Claus?

Last edited:

I wanted to post the whole thing....but was having problems finding it on my cell.

Got it done,.no worries. Events like the Smith Dinner and the Correspondents' Dinner are always positive events where politicians can poke fun at themselves and be a bit human for once. That never gets old.

Forum List

Back