My Childhood Brainwashing

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Cammmpbell, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Cammmpbell

Cammmpbell Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +517
    It started from my parents and grandparents when I was two...My grandmother telling me "OL' Scratch Will Get You."...my first recollections.

In grammar school I was required to memorize bible verses and pray. Wednesday night prayer meetings in Baptist or primitive Baptist churches. Prayers before every public event.

Add to that nearly forty years in the church until I finally gave up about 15 years ago and knew I wouldn't believe all that BS if I live to 100. 'Course that ain't that far away.

2. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    I took a powder from formal religion the day after I was confirmed. I was 13.

For a brief while I subscribed to atheism, but not believing takes as much FAITH as being a believer, so I've mellowed into some kind of believer of SOMETHING.

That change happened to me mostly because of SCIENCE, incidently. not because of any spirital awakening

The more I read about advanced physics and chaos theory, the more convinced I am that there's something we can't even begin to understand behind the curtain of "reality".

My personal religion has no cosmological answers, no theories about after life, no vision of an anthropomophized GOD, either.

In fact, I am not even sure that my religion has a GOD, as most of us think of GOD --that is to say a personality with absolute power over the cosmos..

My moral and ethical value system is still basically the same as it was when I was a strict Lutheran.

But that was an easy transition since my liberal Lutheran values are pretty much the same as most secular humanists.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. Si modo

Si modo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,703
    I believed there was a Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy, and Easter Bunny for years.

Such ABUSE I suffered as a result of this horrible brainwashing!!!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,726
    One day you will get to tell all of this to God face to face. What then?

5. Iridescence

Iridescence BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +268

I don't know... perhaps in believing in something... and living one's life by the strict moral codes in which proves such a belief gives life to it and makes it reality... but I've had too much evidence on the outside of myself and on the other side of time for me to think of anything religious, spiritual, or other as BS.

I cannot say I envy you... to not have faith is something I could not imagine nor would I want to even try.

If you don't mind... would you share with us what you would have rather been taught? Or, do you think that giving children direction is bad, all together? Do you think yourself cheated or something to have had such a start given to you in life?

6. Douger

Douger BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +915
    I remember sitting in JR. High when the alarm would sound and the teacher would tell the sheep to go out in the hall and hide under a concrete shelf, simulation what to do when a nuke lands. I explained to the dumb **** in these very words.
    "Woman, if a fucking nuclear bomb goes off we're dead meat anyway. I'm not going out there" Suspended yet again.

7. Iridescence

Iridescence BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +268
    That is a wonderful alternative, Douger... really.

8. Mr Clean

Mr Clean Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,827
    Either you believe or you don't.

I remember sitting there in Cathechism (I must have been around 7) and saying to myself "yeah, right, what a bunch of baloney".

But to satisfy Mom, I went as far as my Confirmation and that was the end of it for me.

9. Cammmpbell

Cammmpbell Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +517
    Yeah...they didn't need but one commandment, "Do Unto Others As You Would Have Them Do Unto You"

The rest of that primitive, made up bullshit is..........well, BULLSHIT

10. Iridescence

Iridescence BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +268
    What's got you so bitter, cammmpbell?