“My Brother’s Keeper” initiative

Like most things in life, follow the money. Poverty is the underlying cause of the disintegration of family and the high incarceration rates. The small percentage of blacks who slip through the gauntlet and enter the middle class end up assimilating to the American Dream, showing the ability to jump through hoops and excel at school and work. The trick is to address the social conditions that make it more likely that blacks will enter the cycle of poverty > prison.

There no way to have this discussion without serious statistical analysis because the Right and Left have different frameworks. The Right sees every social outcome as a matter of personal choice, and they over look the vast disparities that exist at the start of the race (where blacks, as a group, overwhelmingly start with less, and lack easy access to education, health care and the stable home life that comes with wealth). The Left sees personal outcomes as coming from a complex causal network, of which individual choice is just one factor, albeit an important one.

Given that we Americans can't agree on the basic facts surrounding this problem - and neither group on a forum like this can offer deep research analysis - we end up merely screaming undefended conclusions as if they were common sense, so black and white that only a moron couldn't see it.

We're not making progress or trying to get the other side to understand what is rational and defensible about our conclusions, we're just yelling, spamming and trolling for our point of view.

Actually, we have a number of people who have been conditioned to believe that the way to persuade people in the public forum is to shout them down and call them idiots for not seeing our truth (which we can't defend by any other means than yelling and name calling). This is an Orwellian strategy meant to benefit the status quo. As long as the prols are fighting amongst each other, they will never mobilize against the powers that own government.

Of the black family specifically or of all families in poverty?

"The effort will seek to make sure that every young man of color who is willing to work hard and lift himself up has an opportunity to get ahead and reach his full potential”

I would be willing and happy to support this program if the President had not felt it so important to piss on young men who are NOT "of color".

For the typically mentally challenged liberal, if he had said this:

"The effort will seek to make sure that every young man who is willing to work hard and lift himself up has an opportunity to get ahead and reach his full potential”

And especially, if he had included young WOMEN as well.

Some in this forum rant 24/7 about the problems of young black men but when somebody offers an initiative to address problems...yup, they turn a 180 and rant in the opposite direction, go figure.

"The effort will seek to make sure that every young man of color who is willing to work hard and lift himself up has an opportunity to get ahead and reach his full potential”

I would be willing and happy to support this program if the President had not felt it so important to piss on young men who are NOT "of color".

For the typically mentally challenged liberal, if he had said this:

"The effort will seek to make sure that every young man who is willing to work hard and lift himself up has an opportunity to get ahead and reach his full potential”

And especially, if he had included young WOMEN as well.

Some in this forum rant 24/7 about the problems of young black men but when somebody offers an initiative to address problems...yup, they turn a 180 and rant in the opposite direction, go figure.

Yep,

This maybe the only way to fix it.

Could you further explain the section above?

He can't. Because it isn't true. People were much poorer prior to WW2. And there was less crime.

US homicide rate since 1900 shown below. The current homicide rate is almost as low as it was in 1910.

25tb9f6.jpg

Cherry pick data much? Murder is not the only crime out there. Nor is it the one most younger black men are locked up for.
Here's a graph of all crime. You see it is higher now than in 1960. A lot of the discrepency has to do with an aging population: simply fewer young men than there used to be.
dsg237_500_350.jpg

Same way it always does. Programs for people in poverty tend to increase poverty, not decrease it. This will be no different.

From the article above:
An administration official said the “My Brother’s Keeper” effort will consist of two main parts. First, the official said, businesses and foundations will join together to test strategies aimed at “making sure children arrive at school ready to learn and reducing negative interactions with the criminal justice system.”

Second, Obama will launch an internal administration effort to more rigorously evaluate what programs work best at helping young minority males. The Education and Justice departments, for example, recently updated guidelines provided to school districts on the most effective disciplinary policies.

The following is from an article in The Hill.

The president will announce that foundations supporting the initiative have pledged at least $200 million over the next five years to “find and rapidly spread solutions that have the highest potential for impact,” the White House said.

Efforts receiving commitments will include those targeting early child development and school readiness, parenting and parent engagement, third grade literacy, and school discipline reform.

Programs helping reduce minority interactions with the criminal justice system and improve health and economic opportunities will also be among those evaluated by the task force, which has three months to design an plan for coordinating the $200 million in commitments.

Read more: Obama strives to be 'my brother?s keeper' | TheHill
Follow us: @thehill on Twitter | TheHill on Facebook

I am interested in the effectiveness and following the money. Foundations are tricky little things and should always be questioned.

At any rate, it does not at this point look to be a gubmint daddy thang.

Now just how will they reduce interaction with the criminal justice system? This really stood out. Because people interact with it largely as a result of breaking laws. Are we going to turn a blind eye to lawbreaking? I strongly suspect that is in the cards.
You suspect foundations, which spend their own money, but not thegovernment, which spends other people's?

I share your suspicions here. Hence, question the foundations and follow the money.

They may focus in on the zero tolerance policies. This isn't like it was 25-30 years ago. Back then two kids would get in a fight, the principal steps in and the person that initiated the fight wins a 3 day suspension. Problem resolved. Now, two kids get in a fight and both kids are suspended, may be arrested and they are in the system. So, along the way several alternative programs have been initiated (teen courts for example) to divert kids from the system.

Some foundations are very interesting because they control the statistics and may also be involved with the media. On the surface it may seem as if the numbers were done independently but closer inspection often reveals a different relationship. They control the input and the output. So, the questions here are about who benefits, where do they benefit, how much do they benefit and who will hold them accountable. Because I am suspicious of one does not mean that I am not suspicious of the other. I question everything.

President Obama to launch major new effort to help young minority men - The Washington Post

President Obama will launch a significant new effort Thursday to bolster the lives of young minority (BLACK) men, seeking to use the power of the presidency to help a group of Americans whose lives are disproportionately affected by poverty and prison.

The “My Brother’s Keeper” initiative will bring foundations and companies together to test a range of strategies to support such young men, taking steps to keep them in school and out of the criminal justice system, a White House official said. Obama will also announce a more vigorous program to evaluate policies and publicize results to school systems around the country.

Yea, Obama them whites are all doing so good ,how about leave black out of it and bolster the lives of all .............View attachment 29451

In the OP's failed effort to pretend he wrote his own post, he forgot to include this little tidbit:

The effort will seek “to make sure that every young man of color who is willing to work hard and lift himself up has an opportunity to get ahead and reach his full potential,”

So, racists, what part of that do you object to?

`

Got no problem at all, what the hell took so long. Private foundations and companies working together to help people that actually want it, I got no problems at all, unless you start mixing in tax money.

I guess it goes without saying what kind of shit storm would precipitate if a white president so much as hinted at such an idea for poor white folks (they do exist). How about Native Americans, who experience extraordinary levels of poverty, crime, and dependency? Better yet, how about we work on behalf of ALL Americans? How about we focus on making America itself better, stronger, wealthier, etc. instead of dividing and separating people by false, ambiguous, or deliberately divisive 'categories'? How about the President of the United States think and act like THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES?

That's all warm and fuzzy but totally naive. Programs targeting specific societal problems are nothing new. Many groups, minority and otherwise, have been the beneficiaries.

President Obama to launch major new effort to help young minority men - The Washington Post

President Obama will launch a significant new effort Thursday to bolster the lives of young minority (BLACK) men, seeking to use the power of the presidency to help a group of Americans whose lives are disproportionately affected by poverty and prison.

The “My Brother’s Keeper” initiative will bring foundations and companies together to test a range of strategies to support such young men, taking steps to keep them in school and out of the criminal justice system, a White House official said. Obama will also announce a more vigorous program to evaluate policies and publicize results to school systems around the country.

Yea, Obama them whites are all doing so good ,how about leave black out of it and bolster the lives of all .............View attachment 29451

In the OP's failed effort to pretend he wrote his own post, he forgot to include this little tidbit:

The effort will seek “to make sure that every young man of color who is willing to work hard and lift himself up has an opportunity to get ahead and reach his full potential,”

`

You sound so angry, is your welfare check late ? :eusa_boohoo::eusa_boohoo:

`

Sounds good to me...Start with educating the youth and providing a mindset that leads towards success. Craft schools, college, and internships. ;)

Of course the conservatives want these kids to go it alone and join that gang!

School Vouchers did just that and you people cut them because you needed the masses (numbers) so that SEIU could get paid off.

God forbid anyone should acknowledge the darkies are having a rougher go of it than everyone else and try to do something about it. No, we should be offended by this proposition. Offended, I tell you!

Blacks will always be victims , they like it that way...........

I guess it goes without saying what kind of shit storm would precipitate if a white president so much as hinted at such an idea for poor white folks (they do exist). How about Native Americans, who experience extraordinary levels of poverty, crime, and dependency? Better yet, how about we work on behalf of ALL Americans? How about we focus on making America itself better, stronger, wealthier, etc. instead of dividing and separating people by false, ambiguous, or deliberately divisive 'categories'? How about the President of the United States think and act like THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES?

There would be rioting and looting at every 7-eleven for days ..........:eusa_whistle:

I'm almost 60 and the people in this country has bent over backwards to try and lift black people up...yet year after year it's the same old thing...

And because they don't do it themselves, we the people in this country get blamed for it...

It's a feel good policy that lets the Libs chalk up another outstanding achievment for Obama.
And at this time tonight everyone moved on to other things...

Let's revisit this 6 months maybe a year from now and see if anyone actually got involved beyond
the photo op.

It's a feel good policy that lets the Libs chalk up another outstanding achievment for Obama.
And at this time tonight everyone moved on to other things...

Let's revisit this 6 months maybe a year from now and see if anyone actually got involved beyond
the photo op.

right on the money...:eusa_clap:

Oh here's what the liberals in DC can do....

Black males can't get anything lower than a C in school.
Black males can't go to jail.
Black males can force abortion on all the women they get pregnant.
Black males get a free car, free house and free food for life....hell throw in some gold "teef" too and a rap/hip-hop contract.

Forum List

Back