Movies You Think Should Have Gotten Wider Aclaim

Rent Beaches, I think you'd like it, and the 6th sense too.

Beaches is the ultimate "chick flick", but still not bad. The Sixth Sense might have been great if the ending hadn't been ruined for me. Even knowing it, it was still very good. Gave me a different perspective as I watched it.

That makes me NOT want to see it...

Hey, I'm not a Buffy or Angel fan, either, but I watched a bit of them, and I thought it was actually well done given the plot he had to work with. Now, he has a SciFi thing he made up himself. Go rent the series from Blockbuster. It's a mere 4 discs (12 episodes, one of which is a two parter) and while it starts a little slow, if you don't like the series by the end of the second disk, I'll never say another word about it, at least not to you.

And about the movie. In the words of the persona review at the AJC, "Star Wars never had a sex robot in a prom dress."

This movie was SO funny! Ray Liotta is hilarious.
"Hey look! Fish! *fires several shots in water* Heh heh, got it!"

I liked it a lot and actually bought it when it came out on DVD.

The whole thing about the statue, the constant cloud of smoke hovering around Gene Hackman (a non smoker in real life by the way), the scams. It was all great.

I think the thing with that movie, despite the presence of Ray Liotta, Hackman, Sigourney Weaver, and Jason Lee, is people saw Jennifer Love Hewitt and automatically wrote it off. Thing is, she's really good in it too.

It's really quirky and odd and there are some excellent performances. Plus, the Aimee Mann song in the film (I think it's "Save Me", but wouldn't swear to it) is awesome.

Can't believe I missed this, yes, Magnolia is an amazing movie. There are a couple moments that get a little too quirky for the average moviegoer (don't worry, I won't spoil anything because those moments are two of the biggest surprises I've ever had watching a movie), but once you get past that, it's got so much honest emotion in it (PT Anderson's father had just died of cancer when he wrote it), it can be overwhelming.

BTW, Jillian, Aimee Mann actually sings almost every song on the soundtrack (though the score is not hers). Off the top of my head, "One is the Loneliest Number" and "Wise Up" are also great songs. I wish Paul Thomas Anderson would try and make more than one movie every five years. Punch Drunk Love was underrated, as well, though that one goes beyond "quirky" and straight into artsy-fartsy territory.

The Blaire Witch Project
The Village

TBWP had an awesome plot, such a change from the modern-day horror movies. Didn't get nearly the attention it deserves.

The Blaire Witch Project
The Village

TBWP had an awesome plot, such a change from the modern-day horror movies. Didn't get nearly the attention it deserves.

You've got to be joking. It's an hour and a half of:

Why the f*ck did you f*cking throw away the f*cking map?! F*CK!!

F***************************************CK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH!!!!!!!!!

The best part about the whole movie is when the annoying teenagers all died, though I must admit that the last couple of minutes were mildly creepy.

As for The Village, yeah, it was better than I had heard. The only problem with Shyamalan (sp?) movies is they have no 'rewatch' value, because it's all about the kooky twist at the end.

You've got to be joking. It's an hour and a half of:

Why the f*ck did you f*cking throw away the f*cking map?! F*CK!!

F***************************************CK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH!!!!!!!!!

The best part about the whole movie is when the annoying teenagers all died, though I must admit that the last couple of minutes were mildly creepy.

As for The Village, yeah, it was better than I had heard. The only problem with Shyamalan (sp?) movies is they have no 'rewatch' value, because it's all about the kooky twist at the end.

Well maybe YOU just cant get through the skin of the movie and see how it differs from the rest of the mainstream horror films, you inthenthitive perthon!

Shyamalan movies are worth the non-rewatch value for the kooky twist. However, the twists are becoming easier to spot mid-way through the movie.

Forum List

Back