Movies You Think Should Have Gotten Wider Aclaim

Already listed..
Team America
Overboard

Some of my favorites, I don’t know about public acclaim but I liked em.

Beaches…. (1988) Bette Midler
The Sixth Sense
City of Angels…. (1998) Meg Ryan
Steel Magnolias…(1989)
Terms of Endearment…..(1983)
My Girl (1991) Jamie Lee Curtis

I never saw (or heard of) Beaches. Didn't see 6th Sense, the rest I agree with you. I really liked.

I'll make my point one more time on why the thread title should be changed Movies that should be more popular then they are.the movie i'll be using the highly acclaimed movie Leon aka the Professional. it's ranking at imdb 8.5/10 (75,027 votes) top 250: #43 .like all the other films listed it's a highly acclaimed movie YET only a few people know about it or even have seen it so therefore it's not that popular with people but it is a highly acclaimed film as noted by it's rankings. the way this thread is currently structured and the movies that are listed are highly acclaimed but not widly seen with the exception of the last few posted.

I'll make my point one more time on why the thread title should be changed Movies that should be more popular then they are.the movie i'll be using the highly acclaimed movie Leon aka the Professional. it's ranking at imdb 8.5/10 (75,027 votes) top 250: #43 .like all the other films listed it's a highly acclaimed movie YET only a few people know about it or even have seen it so therefore it's not that popular with people but it is a highly acclaimed film as noted by it's rankings. the way this thread is currently structured and the movies that are listed are highly acclaimed but not widly seen with the exception of the last few posted.

:confused: You seem so vested. Just start a thread of what you want. I'm happy with my title and the discussion. Sorry.

:confused: You seem so vested. Just start a thread of what you want. I'm happy with my title and the discussion. Sorry.

i don't care. i'm just saying the movies listed have no buisness being in a thread about acclaim. you've got the most acclaimed movies of the year in United 93, one of the best sci fi films ever in Blade runner also listed. i just think the world acclaim is being used wrong here since the word means:

Fame or notoriety.
collections.ic.gc.ca/ghost/glossary.html

praise vociferously; "The critics hailed the young pianist as a new Rubinstein"
applaud: clap one's hands or shout after performances to indicate approval
enthusiastic approval; "the book met with modest acclaim"; "he acknowledged the plaudits of the crowd"; "they gave him more eclat than he really deserved"
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Definition of acclaim (noun)
loud approval; applause; praise

Examples of acclaim
Edward Albee's brilliantly written Broadway revival of A Delicate Balance received wide acclaim.

------

i still think the better title would be about popularity but whatever it's your thread.

Gone with the Wind
Jurassic Park
Titantic
Lord of the Rings
Spiderman

How's that suit ya, Lefty? :tng:

Serenity and its parent series, Firefly. Fox killed Firefly like they did so many other good shows, and with relatively few people having seen the series, they weren't sure about seeing the movie, which was awesome. I mean, it's cowboys...in space. Cowboys rock...and they're IN SPACE, which just makes everything better. Seriously, though, it's an awesome movie done by an awesome guy (Joss Whedon, who did Buffy and Angel) that got, like, no attention.

Already listed..
Team America
Overboard

Some of my favorites, I don’t know about public acclaim but I liked em.

Beaches…. (1988) Bette Midler
The Sixth Sense
City of Angels…. (1998) Meg Ryan
Steel Magnolias…(1989)
Terms of Endearment…..(1983)
My Girl (1991) Jamie Lee Curtis

What a great movie "City of Angels" was as was "Sixth Sense".

I think instead of aclaim this thread should be what movies should be more popular then they are because a few of the movies that are listed are highly praised movies (United Flt 93, 28 days later) and a few are oscar nominees or winners or they won other awards as well aka Blade Runner and The Last of the Mohicans

Blade Runner although somewhat aclaimed now always only had an underground cult following, as well as "Manhunter" which was an amazing movie, never got wide aclaim attention but rather a devoted following of viewers. Last of the Mohicans did slightly better at the box office but again never got the props it deserved. Michael Mann never does get the credit he deserves anyway save for "Ali", but "The Insider" and "Heat" were barely noticed by mainstream audiences...........All IMO masterpieces.

Blade Runner although somewhat aclaimed now always only had an underground cult following, as well as "Manhunter" which was an amazing movie, never got wide aclaim attention but rather a devoted following of viewers. Last of the Mohicans did slightly better at the box office but again never got the props it deserved. Michael Mann never does get the credit he deserves anyway save for "Ali", but "The Insider" and "Heat" were barely noticed by mainstream audiences...........All IMO masterpieces.

I really liked Magnolia.

Gone with the Wind
Jurassic Park
Titantic
Lord of the Rings
Spiderman

How's that suit ya, Lefty? :tng:

Ha!very funny. when i saw this thread i was expecting to see people list highly acclaimed yet unknown movies and for the most part that's not what I saw. i was expecting movies like:

Sneakers
The Boys in Company C
Promised Land
Kung Fu Hustle
Come Feel Me Tremble

all of these movies gets high marks from the few people that have seen them yet aren't well known.

ah but that's the point i'm trying to make everyone who has seen the movies including the critics praise it and give them great acclaim YET they are largly unknown which is why i suggested the title be changed to highly accalimed movies that aren't that popular. to say an oscar winning movie didn't recieved wider acclaim is a joke. it got all the props just not the popularity.

This is one of those questions that has so many answers it's hard to think of where to start. Scanning the responses, I noticed Serenity was mentioned. Others that probably haven't:

The Way of the Gun
Thursday
Heartbreakers
Go
The Pledge
Rockstar
King Arthur
A Simple Plan
What Did You Do in the War Daddy?

To a lesser degree:

The LadyKillers
K-Pax