Mods and Admins Getting Scarce Around Here...

Status
Not open for further replies.
If nonstop racial nonsense, attacks on Christianity, personal attacks, posts laden with curse words, and thread hijacking means everything is going along fine...then so be it.

The modding/user problem comes up when someone gets a little TOO sensitive.

If someone posts "I don't like blacks," that's really not a problem. And too many people see even the slightest disagreement against their faith as an attack. And so on...

This board is the Wild West. Isn't each and every new member given warning in their introduction threads? Outside of the CDZ and the Lounge things can get hairy. And they will.

The best solutions are to pos/neg good/bad posters, rate threads, and back out of threads that you can't get a grip on. A lot of members avoid certain forums entirely.
Its not about being sensitive, its about every thread being derailed into some sort of nonsense by the same people. Good topics are destroyed and the discussion is dumbed down to personal insults, attacks and racial nonsense. Someone posting 'I don't like blacks' isn't the problem...its when every thread someone posts blacks are inferior, calls someone a fag, calls all Christians dumb asses and so on...no matter what the topic. Its when someone has a different opinion and the ad hominem attacks begin.

This is where the moderators need to step in...or before long, this is going to be a forum that is nothing more than a sounding board for radicals on both sides and an entropic mishmash of vitriol and attacks. Maybe that's what the admin wants, I don't know, but it sure does get old quick.

Glad someone mentioned it besides me. Every time they get a mod from the pond here, that person no longer posts much. None of them do, actually. I think I see Westwall more than any and that's a good thing but I sure miss the others. AngelsandDemons has real life situations going on (she said if anyone asked to tell you guys that) and as soon as things get settled better, she will be able to post more. The rest of them....rare sightings. Which is too bad cuz I like all of them.

When you agree to be a mod you aren't supposed to post a lot. You are supposed to mod.

I know we need someone for the wee hours when the Kitchen Cabinet guys swoop in. Someone to delete their damn spam. Maybe [MENTION=34688]Grandma[/MENTION]? She is here late.

You mean like right now? There are plenty of people here during this time.

If nonstop racial nonsense, attacks on Christianity, personal attacks, posts laden with curse words, and thread hijacking means everything is going along fine...then so be it.

The modding/user problem comes up when someone gets a little TOO sensitive.

If someone posts "I don't like blacks," that's really not a problem. And too many people see even the slightest disagreement against their faith as an attack. And so on...

This board is the Wild West. Isn't each and every new member given warning in their introduction threads? Outside of the CDZ and the Lounge things can get hairy. And they will.

The best solutions are to pos/neg good/bad posters, rate threads, and back out of threads that you can't get a grip on. A lot of members avoid certain forums entirely.
Its not about being sensitive, its about every thread being derailed into some sort of nonsense by the same people. Good topics are destroyed and the discussion is dumbed down to personal insults, attacks and racial nonsense. Someone posting 'I don't like blacks' isn't the problem...its when every thread someone posts blacks are inferior, calls someone a fag, calls all Christians dumb asses and so on...no matter what the topic. Its when someone has a different opinion and the ad hominem attacks begin.

This is where the moderators need to step in...or before long, this is going to be a forum that is nothing more than a sounding board for radicals on both sides and an entropic mishmash of vitriol and attacks. Maybe that's what the admin wants, I don't know, but it sure does get old quick.

Yeah, but at the same time, "light" moderation is supposed to be just that: "light" moderation. And it is my experience here that those those derail and heavily insult alot also tend to go way over the line and then they get pinked and so, the problem often solves itself.

CK is right when he mentions that the system tends to correct itself more often than not. How many times was I so upset at something really ugly that a member wrote and was just about to neg him for it, only to refresh the page and see that he (or she) was suddenly pink....

When I first got here, I used to take a lot of umbrage at some of the really vile, disgusting, nasty stuff, but now, I usually just walk right by most of it and think to myself "ok, 1st amendment, ok", and just go on.

Otherwise, mods are then forced to parse practically every word, because even for very innocuous statements, I bet you can find someone here willing to press the report button, if for no other reason, then out of pure spite. And then that means way too much work for mods for stuff that is, well, Kindergarden stuff.

My High School driver's ed teacher gave me some of the best advice of my life:

"If you see someone doing something very stupid and maybe dangerous on the road, do two things: bring yourself out of danger, and LAUGH at the idiot who is causing the problem, so that you don't start making the same mistakes".

That is really, really good advice that he gave me, imo.

Glad someone mentioned it besides me. Every time they get a mod from the pond here, that person no longer posts much. None of them do, actually. I think I see Westwall more than any and that's a good thing but I sure miss the others. AngelsandDemons has real life situations going on (she said if anyone asked to tell you guys that) and as soon as things get settled better, she will be able to post more. The rest of them....rare sightings. Which is too bad cuz I like all of them.

Except for the very rare occasion, I don't take anything that's said here personal.

If I became a mod I'd stop posting. The fun would be over.

... I've been seeing quite a bit of time now where there's no mod at all on the board.

Now if you look RIGHT NOW, there's not only no mod, there's NO ADMIN either. There is NO ONE here to moderate ANYTHING on the board. It's a FREE FOR ALL.

I see a LONG LIST of admins and mods... what are they mods or admins for if they're hardly ever here?

Do you require supervision?

-Geaux

... I've been seeing quite a bit of time now where there's no mod at all on the board.

Now if you look RIGHT NOW, there's not only no mod, there's NO ADMIN either. There is NO ONE here to moderate ANYTHING on the board. It's a FREE FOR ALL.

I see a LONG LIST of admins and mods... what are they mods or admins for if they're hardly ever here?

Do you require supervision?

-Geaux

He's right......I just checked.....:D

If some folks are doing nothing but race baiting, insulting, and derailing threads, there is the option of putting them on ignore, walking away, or negging them, reporting them for off-topic trolling, or a combination of these things.

We can self-moderate also.

And most political forums have more partisans than not because it is the partisans that like to go on forums and spout off-usually. Just like more partisans listen to talk radio or political commentary on TV.

Like I said usually. There are exceptions to this of course.

Sometimes people are busy, and it isn't abnormal for boards to not have staff online at times. Certain zones permit that kind of behavior as well.

Perhaps a solution to this problem would be for the USMB membership to self-moderate itself. When someone flings an insult, or makes a truly partisan generalization, you have all the freedom and time in the world destroying that person's post... in a respectful and civil manner. If more of us step up and drown out the unreasonable and the malicious while not stooping down to their level, eventually we'll make them think twice.

We're a community, so much of the resolutions to our problems are in our hands if we work together. Maybe we should have a Town Hall meeting in a thread in this subforum so we can work out issues? If we come together we can make a difference.

Last edited:

Except for the very rare occasion, I don't take anything that's said here personal.

If I became a mod I'd stop posting. The fun would be over.

This is the only board where mods change that I've been a part of. I think since that's the case, they should be ghost.

Everything in moderation including moderating. LOL

It's ok to oppose excessive moderation.

:eusa_shifty:
Moderators are like refs. Nobody likes a ref that keeps blowing the whistle and ruins the game. It's supposed to be all about the players or members, not the moderators and their egos, complexes, inhibitions, and other personal or mental issues.

Everything in moderation including moderating. LOL

It's ok to oppose excessive moderation.

:eusa_shifty:
Moderators are like refs. Nobody likes a ref that keeps blowing the whistle and ruins the game. It's supposed to be all about the players or members, not the moderators and their egos, complexes, inhibitions, and other personal or mental issues.

:eusa_clap::eusa_clap:

And I have often see that, if a mod stays out of the way, often (but not always) a conflict will solve itself and hard feelings are avoided. That method doesn't always work: sometimes a thread goes the way of the Titanic of the Hindenburg, but hey, that's life. Don't forget, the words we write here, imo, are a reflection of US.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back