Mods and Admins Getting Scarce Around Here...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought we had two admins. CK and Connery and then Connery left so that left CK. I didn't know USMB had 9 admins. First I've heard of it.

The bolded in blue is a mischaracterization and must be qualified, that I cannot do on the open boards.

Best way to say it is: I have never left anything and resent even the inference that I did!

Now I am going to lift weights......
tgI-gzklgVg-funny-weight-lifting-fail-gifsu.com.gif
...I will see you folks later.

I see what you did there...:)

Imo a board that feels as if the moderators are not there is a sign of a healthy board.. ( they are present but not felt ) If they show up in moderator mode - its fast and its over with... it isn't lingering on like an axe waiting to drop from overhead.... that is the atmosphere you DON'T want. imo.

:thup: :thup: :thup:

Bah, the lack of moderation means the forum has been taken over by a few individuals who spew the same nonsense over and over, no matter what the topic. If there was thread about Mickey Mouse, the resident racists would turn it into an insult on blacks and the resident lefties would turn it into a debate about racism.

I never thought I would say this, but there needs to be MORE moderation because every discussion digresses to the left crying racism, the right saying the left is racist then the resident racists taking over and blaming all the ills of the world on blacks...or the gays and athiests blaming all of the ills of the world on Christians.

Last edited:
Bah, the lack of moderation means the forum has been taken over by a few individuals who spew the same nonsense over and over, no matter what the topic. If there was thread about Mickey Mouse, the resident racists would turn it into an insult on blacks and the resident lefties would turn it into a debate about racism.

I never thought I would say this, but there needs to be MORE moderation because every discussion digresses to the left crying racism, the right saying the left is racist then the resident racists taking over and blaming all the ills of the world on blacks...or the gays and athiests blaming all of the ills of the world on Christians.

Actually, as a mod and admin on other boards, I've taken a look from that angle at this board. There is a bit that needs done, and the best time to do it is now, before things start gearing up towards November. And by "a bit" I mean not much at all, mainly consolidating a few threads and getting rid of crossposts.

As for "the forum has been taken over by a few individuals," true enough there are some that would break into a thread discussing knitted baby hats to say that Michelle Obama has a big arse. There are maybe 5 of these hijacking/stupid OP types, not a lot. (Myself, I'd like to see them banned to the Badlands with their rep zeroed out.) Get those few under control and the boards will be fine.

Actually, as a mod and admin on other boards, I've taken a look from that angle at this board. There is a bit that needs done, and the best time to do it is now, before things start gearing up towards November. And by "a bit" I mean not much at all, mainly consolidating a few threads and getting rid of crossposts.

As for "the forum has been taken over by a few individuals," true enough there are some that would break into a thread discussing knitted baby hats to say that Michelle Obama has a big arse. There are maybe 5 of these hijacking/stupid OP types, not a lot. (Myself, I'd like to see them banned to the Badlands with their rep zeroed out.) Get those few under control and the boards will be fine.

5 is a pretty conservative number.

... I've been seeing quite a bit of time now where there's no mod at all on the board.

Now if you look RIGHT NOW, there's not only no mod, there's NO ADMIN either. There is NO ONE here to moderate ANYTHING on the board. It's a FREE FOR ALL.

I see a LONG LIST of admins and mods... what are they mods or admins for if they're hardly ever here?

They have their own lives and cannot be here 24/7.

I used to moderate the busiest political forum on the web - over 4000 new posts per day, and 50 reports on a slow day, 100 plus on a busy day. Its the hardest job I ever did, and I lasted three years. The abuse you put up with because a post was reported and it wasn't edited/deleted/moved etc is just ridiculous.
As for taking a day off, forget it. Some members expected you to be online all day, every day.

This forum is moderated fine, so far. A few more mods are needed though, as we are all from different time zones so there will be times when the forum is completely unmoderated for a few hours.

But compared to other forums, this one is going along just fine. :)

Glad someone mentioned it besides me. Every time they get a mod from the pond here, that person no longer posts much. None of them do, actually. I think I see Westwall more than any and that's a good thing but I sure miss the others. AngelsandDemons has real life situations going on (she said if anyone asked to tell you guys that) and as soon as things get settled better, she will be able to post more. The rest of them....rare sightings. Which is too bad cuz I like all of them.

I know we need someone for the wee hours when the Kitchen Cabinet guys swoop in. Someone to delete their damn spam. Maybe [MENTION=34688]Grandma[/MENTION]? She is here late.

... I've been seeing quite a bit of time now where there's no mod at all on the board.

Now if you look RIGHT NOW, there's not only no mod, there's NO ADMIN either. There is NO ONE here to moderate ANYTHING on the board. It's a FREE FOR ALL.

I see a LONG LIST of admins and mods... what are they mods or admins for if they're hardly ever here?

I used to moderate the busiest political forum on the web - over 4000 new posts per day, and 50 reports on a slow day, 100 plus on a busy day. Its the hardest job I ever did, and I lasted three years. The abuse you put up with because a post was reported and it wasn't edited/deleted/moved etc is just ridiculous.
As for taking a day off, forget it. Some members expected you to be online all day, every day.

This forum is moderated fine, so far. A few more mods are needed though, as we are all from different time zones so there will be times when the forum is completely unmoderated for a few hours.

If nonstop racial nonsense, attacks on Christianity, personal attacks, posts laden with curse words, and thread hijacking means everything is going along fine...then so be it.

The badlands is a great idea, but to make it even better, don't put badland threads in active topics...keep it in the badlands and keep the idiots there too.

5 is a pretty conservative number.

Maybe, but there are a very few that are clearly trolls. There are a few shills as well.

A lot of the others are whackos that genuinely believe what they post, or hardcore partisans, but they don't qualify as actual trolls.

Last edited:
Again...Grandma for Mod! (Pssssst.. [MENTION=36528]cereal_killer[/MENTION])

But don't you dare disappear too, woman!

If nonstop racial nonsense, attacks on Christianity, personal attacks, posts laden with curse words, and thread hijacking means everything is going along fine...then so be it.

The badlands is a great idea, but to make it even better, don't put badland threads in active topics...keep it in the badlands and keep the idiots there too.

Nods head in agreement.

The modding/user problem comes up when someone gets a little TOO sensitive.

If someone posts "I don't like blacks," that's really not a problem. And too many people see even the slightest disagreement against their faith as an attack. And so on...

This board is the Wild West. Isn't each and every new member given warning in their introduction threads? Outside of the CDZ and the Lounge things can get hairy. And they will.

The best solutions are to pos/neg good/bad posters, rate threads, and back out of threads that you can't get a grip on. A lot of members avoid certain forums entirely.

I avoid the basement now. Nothing but negativity and it was turning me into a Meanie Monster. And I HATE that dark side of me. I hate ME.
So...now I just kinda float around upstairs and keep to the positive stuff.
I said things I regretted as soon as I hit Submit, but couldn't stop myself. Finally, I did.
I feel much better. :)

lol.
Being a mod is not easy. Or an admin. Someone is always gonna disagree with a decision.
I like the mods we have now. Perfect. And the admin. I just wish they would hang out with us more.

And, since you are semi newish...you have no set preference of groups or cliques. Yet. Which is why you caught my interest. But..I can dig it if you don't want the hassle. I know I damn sure wouldn't want it. But they do need someone that only has the powers to delete spam only, in the wee hours. Would help keep the place cleaned up til one of them is back on duty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back