McDonalds Responds To Minimum Wage Hikes, Launches McCafe Coffee Kiosk

Technology also creates jobs.
These machines will need to be built, maintained and also replenished.
That aside the big question is why folk dont want to see people get a decent wage.
Thats baffling.

People who take the time to acquire useful skills get a decent wage
If you never learn to do anything but put a hamburger in a bag you get minimum wage
Well it looks hard work to me.They are under a lot of pressure to maintain delivery times, its a very competitive market and there is a lot of Health and Safety requirements. It doesnt look like a party at all.

Demonizing the minimum wage is just one more way to try to denigrate human beings.

All costs for a business go up over time, all. It is telling that companies accept these rises in the cost of commodities like gasoline, or auto maintenance, or milk, but the moment a HUMAN BEING suggests their cost go up companies lose their shit.

There is something about other human beings getting ahead that just burns the ass of business owners, It isn't a rational thing, it is a human reaction. It's like the person that owns the business is saying 'if these people make more money then I'm not worth as much', though this thought doesn't occur to them re every other commodity.

And labor is a commodity.

Anyone who settles for MW has made their own bed

Basically they don't try to improve which is why they are stuck at MW

A fallacy. An argument that everyone that has a minimum wage job is too lazy to find anything better.

Try again.

That's funny. I just saw stats today that showed workers earning minimum wage that were not in high school were about 1% of the work force. That seems to back up the argument about being lazy.

You know, people who are only about 1 percent of the work force are those in the military.

They also earn a lot less than their civilian counterparts.

They are better trained, and better qualified for high tech jobs.

Do you think that the military (which is 1 percent of the work force) is lazy?

If so, why do you hate the military?

Where did I say anything about the military? Minimum wage does not apply to the military and is outside this discussion.

Listen here shipmate, I suggest you back off a little and stay in your own pay grade.

When I was an E-3, my pay was about $2.87 an hour assuming a 40 hour week, which we know is simply a fantasy in the military.

Lets keep the conversation dealing with apples to apples comparisons.

Demonizing the minimum wage is just one more way to try to denigrate human beings.

All costs for a business go up over time, all. It is telling that companies accept these rises in the cost of commodities like gasoline, or auto maintenance, or milk, but the moment a HUMAN BEING suggests their cost go up companies lose their shit.

There is something about other human beings getting ahead that just burns the ass of business owners, It isn't a rational thing, it is a human reaction. It's like the person that owns the business is saying 'if these people make more money then I'm not worth as much', though this thought doesn't occur to them re every other commodity.

And labor is a commodity.

A fallacy. An argument that everyone that has a minimum wage job is too lazy to find anything better.

Try again.

That's funny. I just saw stats today that showed workers earning minimum wage that were not in high school were about 1% of the work force. That seems to back up the argument about being lazy.

You know, people who are only about 1 percent of the work force are those in the military.

Where did I say anything about the military? Minimum wage does not apply to the military and is outside this discussion.

Listen here shipmate, I suggest you back off a little and stay in your own pay grade.

When I was an E-3, my pay was about $2.87 an hour assuming a 40 hour week, which we know is simply a fantasy in the military.

Stay in my own paygrade? I'm retired you idiot, and since I'm not in uniform, as well as the fact that you are not in any chain of command that I am a part of, you can fuck off with your paygrade comment.

Lots of people have said that if you can't do more than put a burger in a paper bag, then it means that you deserve to stay there because you didn't learn anything.

Well.............the Navy didn't pay me enough to get rich, but I DID learn how to handle personnel files, do payroll, was a Physical Readiness Coordinator, as well as a Drug and Alcohol Program Advisor, and had spent time on both the Security Forces while in Newport RI and was a member of the at sea fire party in every seagoing command that I was on, with the exception of the MSC vessel. I also have extensive sales experience from 2 years in recruiting.

You know what? After I retired, I sought out a job in a related field, working in sales, or possibly working in personnel somewhere. Know what I was told? Most of them said I was "overqualified", whatever that means, or that they were full up.

So what did I do? I took whatever jobs I could find (short order cook, stone builder, and laundry attendant at a health club), and all of them were minimum wage jobs.

When I finally paid off all my bills and child support, I figured out that I could live okay on my retirement, so I left the workforce permanently.

Interestingly enough, if I had a full time minimum wage job, it would still be about 200/month less than my retirement.

Try again.

Stay in my own paygrade? I'm retired you idiot, and since I'm not in uniform, as well as the fact that you are not in any chain of command that I am a part of, you can fuck off with your paygrade comment.

Lots of people have said that if you can't do more than put a burger in a paper bag, then it means that you deserve to stay there because you didn't learn anything.

Well.............the Navy didn't pay me enough to get rich, but I DID learn how to handle personnel files, do payroll, was a Physical Readiness Coordinator, as well as a Drug and Alcohol Program Advisor, and had spent time on both the Security Forces while in Newport RI and was a member of the at sea fire party in every seagoing command that I was on, with the exception of the MSC vessel. I also have extensive sales experience from 2 years in recruiting.

You know what? After I retired, I sought out a job in a related field, working in sales, or possibly working in personnel somewhere. Know what I was told? Most of them said I was "overqualified", whatever that means, or that they were full up.

So what did I do? I took whatever jobs I could find (short order cook, stone builder, and laundry attendant at a health club), and all of them were minimum wage jobs.

When I finally paid off all my bills and child support, I figured out that I could live okay on my retirement, so I left the workforce permanently.

Interestingly enough, if I had a full time minimum wage job, it would still be about 200/month less than my retirement.

Nice sea story. I could tell you mine, but that is off topic. That was the point I was trying to make. Your comments about the military were off topic.

I was a steam propulsion power plant engineer, and I wound up selling cars, making less than minimum wage.. Cry me a river! Ten years later I was an assistant principal of the largest high school in north Florida. You learn and grow.

Burger flippers get exactly what they are worth. If they had studied harder in school, they would not be flipping burgers trying to support a family. If they learned how to handle people, they would be the shift supervisor instead of the fry cook.

Try again.

Nice sea story. I could tell you mine, but that is off topic. That was the point I was trying to make. Your comments about the military were off topic.

I was a steam propulsion power plant engineer, and I wound up selling cars, making less than minimum wage.. Cry me a river! Ten years later I was an assistant principal of the largest high school in north Florida. You learn and grow.

Burger flippers get exactly what they are worth. If they had studied harder in school, they would not be flipping burgers trying to support a family. If they learned how to handle people, they would be the shift supervisor instead of the fry cook.

My point is that you can have a whole bunch of training, be retired from a successful career, and STILL end up in minimum wage jobs, because that is the only thing that is available. And, then there is the added stigma of PTSD that makes a lot of civilian places unwilling to hire veterans, unless they are part of a special program.

Like I said, after I finished paying off all my bills and child support, I found out that I didn't have to work anymore unless I wanted to, so now I spend my days on messageboards, watching the news and riding my bicycle.

Doesn't change the fact that I think the minimum wage should be increased. If minimum wage had kept up with inflation, it would be around 10.10 or 10.25 today instead of the 7.25 that it currently is.

If inflation dictates that prices will rise, then why can't the minimum wage rise to keep up with it so that people don't have to hold down 3 jobs just to make ends meet?

Even the military gave you cost of living allowances every year. Granted, your pay raises every year weren't that much, only 1 to 2.5 percent, but at least it was something.

Well of course. What dummy would set up a business to lose money?

MW increases are counter productive.

-Geaux
----------------

When it comes to jobs growth in the US, all one can say is thank god for waiters and bartenders: after all, a Starbucks barista is precisely what a recently fired oil chemical engineer making half a million dollars really wants to do with their life.

However, the days of easy job gains for the BLS may be coming to an end (even if on a seasonally adjusted, goalseeked basis the trend has a long way to go).

According to Brand Eating, fast food king McDonald's has been spotted testing a self-serve McCafe coffee station/kiosk out in downtown Chicago. The station is located in the restaurant but apart from the counter and looks to be a theoretically more convenient way for those who just want a cup of coffee to skip the regular line (while also freeing employees from having to make each drink in the back).

In essence, this is the company's latest venture to make employees responsible for one less task as corporate HQ slowly but surely responds to minimum wage hikes sweeping all states, and in the process, outsource its minimum wage workers to simple machines which will never unionize or have any demands aside from being cleaned occasionally.

As shown below, the coffee station includes a touchpad for ordering and paying (it appears to take credit card only), a beverage spout, and a dispenser for cups.

McDonalds Responds To Minimum Wage Hikes, Launches McCafe Coffee Kiosk | Zero Hedge
Mcdonald's isn't making money?!
gallery_28117_1_2845.gif

My point is that you can have a whole bunch of training, be retired from a successful career, and STILL end up in minimum wage jobs, because that is the only thing that is available. And, then there is the added stigma of PTSD that makes a lot of civilian places unwilling to hire veterans, unless they are part of a special program.

Like I said, after I finished paying off all my bills and child support, I found out that I didn't have to work anymore unless I wanted to, so now I spend my days on messageboards, watching the news and riding my bicycle.

Doesn't change the fact that I think the minimum wage should be increased. If minimum wage had kept up with inflation, it would be around 10.10 or 10.25 today instead of the 7.25 that it currently is.

If inflation dictates that prices will rise, then why can't the minimum wage rise to keep up with it so that people don't have to hold down 3 jobs just to make ends meet?

Even the military gave you cost of living allowances every year. Granted, your pay raises every year weren't that much, only 1 to 2.5 percent, but at least it was something.

As a PN. you had very little skills that couldn't be picked up in a high school business class. I'm sorry, but that is one of the worst rates in the Navy for gaining job skills. It is like my son's service in the Army as an Infantryman. As long as his index finger worked to pull a trigger, that was about the only applicable skill he learned. He went to truck driving school and now hauls containers around the ports near Seattle. He improved himself and is not making minimum wage.

As a PN. you had very little skills that couldn't be picked up in a high school business class. I'm sorry, but that is one of the worst rates in the Navy for gaining job skills. It is like my son's service in the Army as an Infantryman. As long as his index finger worked to pull a trigger, that was about the only applicable skill he learned. He went to truck driving school and now hauls containers around the ports near Seattle. He improved himself and is not making minimum wage.

It wasn't just my skills as a PN that I had, it was also all the other training that I'd gone through. Achieve Global is a very much sought after sales training for almost anyone, and that is one of the many courses I took for the various jobs I've done in the Navy. Like I said, whenever I went on a job interview, I was told that I was "overqualified" for the position that they had.

I wasn't just a PN, I was also on an MSC vessel and did a tour at a MEPS as the Head Classifier and was also the supervisor for the office, with my supervisor being all the way down in San Antonio.

I'd still like to know what "overqualified" means in civilian speak. Never did figure it out.

It wasn't just my skills as a PN that I had, it was also all the other training that I'd gone through. Achieve Global is a very much sought after sales training for almost anyone, and that is one of the many courses I took for the various jobs I've done in the Navy. Like I said, whenever I went on a job interview, I was told that I was "overqualified" for the position that they had.

I wasn't just a PN, I was also on an MSC vessel and did a tour at a MEPS as the Head Classifier and was also the supervisor for the office, with my supervisor being all the way down in San Antonio.

I'd still like to know what "overqualified" means in civilian speak. Never did figure it out.

That still does not transfer over well to civilian jobs.

BTW, I was an EPO for an NRD for 3 years, so I am well aware about classifiers, etc.

So, McDonalds invented this thing in as soon as they heard about an increase in minimum wage?

Doubtful. More likely someone invented it, McDonalds then said they'd use it, bought a load, and then the minimum wage thing came out at a similar time too.

Life moves on.

We used to be serfs and slaves working in fields, then they invented things that made a lot of this work automatic. Does this mean we have a worse life?

No, we do better when we don't have shit minimum wage jobs and let technology do that.

They were probably looking at it anyway and when faced with a mandated increase in labor costs they decides to test it on an accelerated schedule

The cream always rises to the top, if you were that good no matter what you do you won't be making minimum wage for long.

If you can not comprehend that , well you are an idiot and don't know anything about the real world.

So, McDonalds invented this thing in as soon as they heard about an increase in minimum wage?

Doubtful. More likely someone invented it, McDonalds then said they'd use it, bought a load, and then the minimum wage thing came out at a similar time too.

Life moves on.

We used to be serfs and slaves working in fields, then they invented things that made a lot of this work automatic. Does this mean we have a worse life?

No, we do better when we don't have shit minimum wage jobs and let technology do that.

They were probably looking at it anyway and when faced with a mandated increase in labor costs they decides to test it on an accelerated schedule

Any evidence for this?

Corporate whores will always argue against decent minimum wage. The reason that the state needs to legislate is that companies cannot be trusted to do the right thing. They would charge you for working if they could. And then tell you it was good experience for your CV.

Meanwhile....how many companies are now gonna leave NY/CA to come to SC/NC/GA/FLA??

Not enough...the south will always be a sewer.

If those lunch ladies in the 70s would have worked for lower wages, those milk machines never would have been invented

Reminds me of a commercial I saw for Hockey on Fox Sports.... They were showing clips from a movie that featured slaves building the pyramids. The voice/over guy says "The ancient Egyptians didn't understand how to operate in shifts...and now they're all dead..."

I'm not sure what points of threds like this are. Conservatives seem quite happy when people lose their jobs and the poorer they are, the more they seem to rejoice.

What a miserable group of people.

See it used to be that employees cost less than automation machines; the reality is that almost all companies who pay min wage would require a "custom built" machine to replace employee's thus the ratio's of cost, as well as older folks preference for "person" service, were skewed in the employee's favor. Today however, technology is far cheaper, when combined with the fact that almost everyone in the country, regardless of age, now has a cell phone and thus could handle it, and the fact that younger folks are very plugged in and thus don't care about the "personal touch" thing, plus ever increasing employee costs - that favor is going to shift. It's not a matter of "if", it's a matter of /when/ it happens.

Yes, tech jobs will still exist, problem for folks who make minimum wage is that they are very unlikely to be skilled enough to do such things. It's not really like say mass production of cell phones, where the mildly skilled anyone can just pick a part and solder it on, the kind of jobs that will be available are going to be jobs that require one to fully understand the hardware maintenance side plus comprehend how everything in the system works so they can both trouble shoot and fix break downs, or on the software side, they need to understand how the code is to chase down and fix bugs or add new features. These are not going to be min wage jobs.

If one looks at the increased unemployment rates after manufacturing jobs left the US, I suspect automation will do the same thing (if not a bit worse.)
Older folks don't look for a personal touch from fast food servers. The server is likely a sullen 45 year old who refuses to speak English and gives you the feeling he spit in the ketchup.

Wierd, maybe that's a location thing. All the older folks I run into take their job seriously and I find them much more trust-worthy (why they're in fast food I have no idea cause it always seems to me they could do much better, but choices peeps make.)

I find myself far more worried about the younger ones with their attitudes (I figure they feel all entitled and hate their job/pay rate so they do disgusting stuff like shitting in the taco meat, licking taco shells, spitting in drinks/on burgers, etc.)

Maybe I'm just biased by personal experience with younger employees and/or because I've watched those restaurant stake-out type shows and its always the sub-30 crowd that's doing bad stuff to the customers. The older folks are usually busted for like stealing and stuff, which frankly I'd much rather be ripped off for a few bucks than have some asshole/bitch spit in my drink...

Forum List

Back