McDonalds Responds To Minimum Wage Hikes, Launches McCafe Coffee Kiosk

Geaux4it

Intensity Factor 4-Fold
May 31, 2009
Tennessee
Well of course. What dummy would set up a business to lose money?

MW increases are counter productive.

-Geaux
----------------

When it comes to jobs growth in the US, all one can say is thank god for waiters and bartenders: after all, a Starbucks barista is precisely what a recently fired oil chemical engineer making half a million dollars really wants to do with their life.

However, the days of easy job gains for the BLS may be coming to an end (even if on a seasonally adjusted, goalseeked basis the trend has a long way to go).

According to Brand Eating, fast food king McDonald's has been spotted testing a self-serve McCafe coffee station/kiosk out in downtown Chicago. The station is located in the restaurant but apart from the counter and looks to be a theoretically more convenient way for those who just want a cup of coffee to skip the regular line (while also freeing employees from having to make each drink in the back).

In essence, this is the company's latest venture to make employees responsible for one less task as corporate HQ slowly but surely responds to minimum wage hikes sweeping all states, and in the process, outsource its minimum wage workers to simple machines which will never unionize or have any demands aside from being cleaned occasionally.

As shown below, the coffee station includes a touchpad for ordering and paying (it appears to take credit card only), a beverage spout, and a dispenser for cups.

McDonalds Responds To Minimum Wage Hikes, Launches McCafe Coffee Kiosk | Zero Hedge

-Geaux
----------------

When it comes to jobs growth in the US, all one can say is thank god for waiters and bartenders: after all, a Starbucks barista is precisely what a recently fired oil chemical engineer making half a million dollars really wants to do with their life.

However, the days of easy job gains for the BLS may be coming to an end (even if on a seasonally adjusted, goalseeked basis the trend has a long way to go).

According to Brand Eating, fast food king McDonald's has been spotted testing a self-serve McCafe coffee station/kiosk out in downtown Chicago. The station is located in the restaurant but apart from the counter and looks to be a theoretically more convenient way for those who just want a cup of coffee to skip the regular line (while also freeing employees from having to make each drink in the back).

In essence, this is the company's latest venture to make employees responsible for one less task as corporate HQ slowly but surely responds to minimum wage hikes sweeping all states, and in the process, outsource its minimum wage workers to simple machines which will never unionize or have any demands aside from being cleaned occasionally.

As shown below, the coffee station includes a touchpad for ordering and paying (it appears to take credit card only), a beverage spout, and a dispenser for cups.

McDonalds Responds To Minimum Wage Hikes, Launches McCafe Coffee Kiosk | Zero Hedge

I remember an automatic machine in elementary school that dispensed milk at breakfast and lunch back in the 70s. Sweet they've finally moved that 50 year old technology into McDonald's. Just think what might turn up in another 50 years!

Anyone who is over fifty (sixty?) and lived in New York City will remember a small chain of novelty restaurants called, Automats. The Automat - the History, Recipes, and Allure of Horn & Hardart's Masterpiece.

One wall of these neatly appointed places was lined with row after row of small lighted windows behind which were various food items, from sandwiches to such convenient hot dishes as mac & cheese, beef stew, turkey & gravy, etc. A selection was retrieved from behind its window by dropping the designated number of nickels into a slot and turning a handle which popped open a little door.

There were trays and plastic utensils located at the end of a railed counter. coffee was obtained by dropping a nickel into a slot, a window opened, inside was a cup containing sugar packets and little milk cups. Next to the window was a nozzle with a button to push to fill the cup with coffee or tea.

The Automat was impeccably clean. There were only two employees to be seen. One was woman seated in a hexagonal booth in the middle of the dining floor, making change and dispensing twenty nickels for a dollar. The other was a bus-man who wheeled a cart around clearing and wiping down the small square tables that seated four.

My mother loved the Automat. There was one next to the New York Stock Exchange and she would actually take the three-stop subway ride from Brooklyn to Beaver Street just to have lunch there. Something about that place just turned her on.

I don't know how successful such a place would be in today's public atmosphere. I'm sure someone would steal everything that isn't nailed down, break into the little compartments and generally vandalize the place.

Last edited:
Anyone who is over fifty (sixty?) and lived in New York City will remember a small chain of novelty restaurants called, Automats. The Automat - the History, Recipes, and Allure of Horn & Hardart's Masterpiece.

One wall of these neatly appointed places was lined with row after row of small lighted windows behind which were various food items, from sandwiches to such convenient hot dishes as mac & cheese, beef stew, turkey & gravy, etc. A selection was retrieved from behind its window by dropping the designated number of nickels into a slot and turning a handle which popped open a little door.

There were trays and plastic utensils located at the end of a railed counter. coffee was obtained by dropping a nickel into a slot, a window opened, inside was a cup containing sugar packets and little milk cups. Next to the window was a nozzle with a button to push to fill the cup with coffee or tea.

The Automat was impeccably clean. There were only two employees to be seen. One was woman seated in a hexagonal booth in the middle of the dining floor, making change and dispensing twenty nickels for a dollar. The other was a bus-man who wheeled a cart around clearing and wiping down the small square tables that seated four.

My mother loved the Automat. There was one next to the New York Stock Exchange and she would actually take the three-stop subway ride from Brooklyn to Beaver Street just to have lunch there. Something about that place just turned her on.

I don't know how successful such a place would be in today's public atmosphere. I'm sure someone would steal everything that isn't nailed down, break into the little compartments and generally vandalize the place.

But machines doing these things have been around for probably 70 years or more. I remember in movie theaters the coke machine, you drop in the coins and a cup dropped down under the spigot which then dispensed the proper amount of soda. No bottles or cans. That was 50 years ago. And the industry went AWAY from that.

Weird how people get scared of automation. It can only do so much.

I mean other than the computers and industrial robots that are right now constructing Skynet.

Eventually....these lefties will protest the minimum wage up to $20 an hour.

And businesses will slash employees and use machines to do everything....requiring only a couple employees to run it all. But with good pay...that job will be in higher demand.

And these same libs will apply....and be passed over for a more qualified, higher skill conservative for the job! Or better yet....an immigrant!!!

Corporate whores will always argue against decent minimum wage. The reason that the state needs to legislate is that companies cannot be trusted to do the right thing. They would charge you for working if they could. And then tell you it was good experience for your CV.

Corporate whores will always argue against decent minimum wage. The reason that the state needs to legislate is that companies cannot be trusted to do the right thing. They would charge you for working if they could. And then tell you it was good experience for your CV.

Meanwhile....how many companies are now gonna leave NY/CA to come to SC/NC/GA/FLA??

But machines doing these things have been around for probably 70 years or more. I remember in movie theaters the coke machine, you drop in the coins and a cup dropped down under the spigot which then dispensed the proper amount of soda. No bottles or cans. That was 50 years ago. And the industry went AWAY from that.

Weird how people get scared of automation. It can only do so much.

I mean other than the computers and industrial robots that are right now constructing Skynet.
yep in the 50's in movie theaters in NYC drop a nickle in the machine and a paper cup dropped and filled with coke

Nobody is forced to work for minimum wage. There are plenty of jobs for much higher wages for anyone who is willing to travel to those jobs.

Forcing companies to pay more than they can afford is like forcing a customer to pay more than he can afford.

the concept has come back in NYC

Meanwhile....how many companies are now gonna leave NY/CA to come to SC/NC/GA/FLA??
They already did that , they lose money with the low IQ unskilled crackas in the souf, that is why thy tried that back in the 90's finally gave up and a lot of companies then moved from the souf to mexico where the labor was smarter then the simple minded unskilled rubes

Last edited:
My first job was a swineherd when 16 years old in 1966 and I made more money than the minimum wage back then. I have never worked for minimum wage. There are smart people and dumb people evidenced by the intelligence Bell Curve.

My first job was a swineherd when 16 years old in 1966 and I made more money than the minimum wage back then. I have never worked for minimum wage. There are smart people and dumb people evidenced by the intelligence Bell Curve.

My first job when I arrived as a new immigrant - arranged for me by Immigration - was to be a bellhop in a small town hotel.
Of course, nothing speaks of the wisdom of this government agency better than the fact they never realized that a person who is supposed to serve the public should be able to speak the language of said public. My tenure as bell hop was rather short.

I packed up and hitch hiked up North and got a job in a gold mine. I worked in several mines, learned English, and after six years of that I enrolled in high school as an adult student. Got back to the city, got a job in a factory, advanced to the office, taught myself computer programming, did that for thirty-five years and now I am happily and comfortably retired.

Of course, all that happened because I had what current day liberal assholes call "white privilege".

Bottom line is nobody has to work for minimum wage. Apply yourself and stop depending on others.

Flipping burgers at McDonald's is not a career. moron
Lol

They already did that , they lose money with the low IQ unskilled crackas in the souf, that is why thy tried that back in the 90's finally gave up and a lot of companies then moved from the souf to mexico where the labor was smarter then the simple minded unskilled rubes
They could move to Detroit or Chicago all kinds of geniuses there... Lol

The future of the minimum wage comes with lots of new automation.

yup the future is here

instead of 10 folks making 15 an hour

it will be 1 IT folk making 20 hour

and 1 to stock with the advent of

kiosk tellers and automated burger makers

places like McDonalds will actually come out ahead

--LOL

What fools!!!!

They should have moved the jobs to cities in the North, you know Chicago, Detroit, Toledo, Milwaukee, etc., where educated, capable, industrious and hard working African Americans were and are waiting to bash the people who would give them opportunity to make a decent living without outrageous union demands. RIGHT!!!

Foreign car makers and their non-union employees prosper in the "souf" you seem to so detest. I am willing to bet that their employees are just about equal number of niggas and crakas

-Geaux
----------------

The Kiosk is just an updated coffee vending machine that has been around since the fifties.
A friend owns a local McDonald's franchise.
He told me the corporation has warehouses packed with robotics. The ONLY reason they aren't being put into McDonald franchises is because of the feared local backlash by employment advocates.
But the 'camel already has its nose under the tent'.
The latest piece of equipment that replaced the old chip fryer needs only one person to put the frozen chips in the fryer. The fryer then automatically cooks the chips to perfection, then drains the fries, then portions the fries, to the gram, into either a small paper container or a large paper container depending on the orders entered by the staff at the counter.
Now an employee isn't required to work full time at the fryer anymore.

Forum List

Back