Making Gasoline/Diesel More Afforedable

Have you heard the term "inflation"?
Ten years ago I could buy 5 loaves of bread for $1, beef for as little as 35 cents a pound. Chicken was only 25 cents a pound and hamburger was the same price as chicken.
I can remember when I could buy gasoline for 10 cents a gallon, homes sold for $30,000 and cars sold for $1700 new.
In the last ten years your money has dropped 50% of its value and it will continue to drop like that or worse in the foreseeable future. Get a life and get over it or at least quit complaining and try to do something about it!

:cuckoo: We did not have 1500% inflation in 10 years. But oil went from $10 to $147 in 8 years. :eek:

It cost less than $350 to transport a truck load of oil, but they made $4,000 a load doing it. It cost even less by train & even less by pipeline. That is not inflation, that is windfall profits.

Last edited:
Ten years ago I could buy 5 loaves of bread for $1, beef for as little as 35 cents a pound. Chicken was only 25 cents a pound and hamburger was the same price as chicken.
I can remember when I could buy gasoline for 10 cents a gallon, homes sold for $30,000 and cars sold for $1700 new.
In the last ten years your money has dropped 50% of its value and it will continue to drop like that or worse in the foreseeable future. Get a life and get over it or at least quit complaining and try to do something about it!

:cuckoo: We did not have 1500% inflation in 10 years. But oil went from $10 to $147 in 8 years. :eek:

It cost less than $350 to transport a truck load of oil, but they made $4,000 a load doing it. It cost even less by train & even less by pipeline. That is not inflation, that is windfall profits.

You are correct. The price of gasoline has increased at a rate faster than general inflation. In real dollars, it began rising as China began developing as a major economy, about 1998.

There are perfect supply and demand components as well as components that are due to market imperfections. *The issue is that there has been no historical success in being able to substantially and reasonably manage the market imperfections. *It's not even possible to adequately identify them. *We do identify the obvious gross aggregate effect. *

The world will get there, just not as quickly as we would like.

Pay attention. It's $0.40 above taxes.

Yes, way below the cost of production.

With short calls, crude oil and gasoline will drop weeks before any law goes into effect.

The price would skyrocket first, because of stockpiling in anticipation of crashing production once the price drops to $0.40 above taxes.

Crashing production would be collusion since three companies purchase the vast majority of the crude in the US.

Companies refusing to sell gasoline at a $3.00 per gallon loss is collusion? :cuckoo:

No. Crashing production would be.

Oil needs to be reduced to $7-8 bucks/barrel where it should be.

Crashing production would be collusion since three companies purchase the vast majority of the crude in the US.

Companies refusing to sell gasoline at a $3.00 per gallon loss is collusion? :cuckoo:

Ok I know this is the clean debate zone so...

How... Do you intend... To get oil down to $7-8 per barrel?

If your... "Interesting" plan were to be put into place, we wouldn't have the authority to compel other nations to follow suit...

Who would purchase and refine the oil, and bring it to market at a loss?

And honestly, are you even serious with this plan at all?

Have you considered that the worldwide supply is down, whilst the worldwide demand is up?

Have you considered that the worldwide supply is down, whilst the worldwide demand is up?

Supply is controlled by governments & cartels. It is not a free-market supply & demand business sector. My point & the fact of the discussion was that government oil taxes are not more than oil profits. Also government spends 5 times more defending oil production than it ever gets in oil taxes.

The high prices of gasoline and diesel fuels is precisely what has led to the increased search for crude oil- the source component.

Americans (and these days, I use the term loosely) are to be thankful that the oil and natural gas industries are busting balls.

Risking private (not public) capital, chasing profits, and getting the fucking job done.

Screw you nayslayers... lead- follow- or get the fuck out of the way.

Supply is controlled by governments & cartels. It is not a free-market supply & demand business sector. My point & the fact of the discussion was that government oil taxes are not more than oil profits. Also government spends 5 times more defending oil production than it ever gets in oil taxes.

Let's take a relaxed stroll down memory lane....

It's 1999... flowers are blooming, birds are chirping...

Oil is $10/barrel and gasoline is $1/gallon.

Ahhhh... the good old days.

When supply was controlled by governments & cartels.

You get my drift?

You so often posit knowledgeable thought around here, but you are equally as often clueless.

Tin-foil hat stuff aside, you've started with an abnormally low price. A similar tactic is oft used by climate change deniers. Can I start measuring in 2008 and claim that oil prices are falling over time?

There is a bumpy plateau of oil prices, but over time you're going to see higher highs and higher lows. This is a finite resource, and the demand is ever-rising here and abroad, especially in developing areas of the world.

It's easier to pick an apple from the bottom of the tree than the top. This is not something that's going to get better over time. A large discovery may flood the global market and lower prices modestly once more, but there is a grain of truth to what you say - If a new discovery is found, the major producers (or 'Cartels' if you prefer) will cut production accordingly to keep prices high.

The only thing that is going to make a substantial difference is a new, economically feasible energy source.

We did not have 1500% inflation in 10 years. But oil went from $10 to $147 in 8 years

And 5 months later, oil was down to $34

Production will naturally decrease when you demand a product, which costs over $3 to produce, be sold for less than $1.
Not collusion, reality.

Get crackin' skippy. Let me know when you get it there. :cuckoo:

You get my drift?

You so often posit knowledgeable thought around here, but you are equally as often clueless.

I never said things were good for domestic oil companies when oil was $10. Governments around the world control oil supplies & does OPEC. Multinational oil companies were making money on cheap oil in foreign countries. They were helped in those countries by our government & tax payers. That is a undeniable fact backed by peer-reviewed study.

Farmers were also getting screwed with $1 corn every since the US grain embargo. All our customers invested in Brazil because the US could no longer be trusted to feed them.

The facts are oil companies today are enjoying windfall profits in excess of taxes. Brain dead parrots keep repeating the lie that taxes are higher than profits.

You get my drift?

I never said things were good for domestic oil companies when oil was $10. Governments around the world control oil supplies & does OPEC. Multinational oil companies were making money on cheap oil in foreign countries. They were helped in those countries by our government & tax payers. That is a undeniable fact backed by peer-reviewed study.

Farmers were also getting screwed with $1 corn every since the US grain embargo. All our customers invested in Brazil because the US could no longer be trusted to feed them.

The facts are oil companies today are enjoying windfall profits in excess of taxes. Brain dead parrots keep repeating the lie that taxes are higher than profits.

I am astounded by your knowledge of agriculture coupled with your ignorance of hydrocarbonculture.

The high prices of gasoline and diesel fuels is precisely what has led to the increased search for crude oil- the source component.

Americans (and these days, I use the term loosely) are to be thankful that the oil and natural gas industries are busting balls.

Risking private (not public) capital, chasing profits, and getting the fucking job done.

How many $10's of billions does the oil industry receive in subsidies? Risking 'private' capital?

Last edited:

Production will naturally decrease when you demand a product, which costs over $3 to produce, be sold for less than $1.
Not collusion, reality.

I've explained how to make motor fuel more affordable. It's really not that hard.

How many $10's of billions does the oil industry receive in subsidies? Risking 'private' capital?

It's the $167 million man! :thup:

Still can't name an oil "subsidy". Can you now?

Git some learnin' s0n.

It's the $167 million man! :thup:

Still can't name an oil "subsidy". Can you now?

Git some learnin' s0n.

Read on old man.......

http://priceofoil.org/content/uploads/2012/05/FIN.USCapitolSubsidyGraphicFlyer.pdf

How many? Show me.

Not collusion, reality.

I've explained how to make motor fuel more affordable. It's really not that hard.

Yes, your fantasy was very enjoyable.
Meanwhile, in the real world, we're pointing and laughing.:lol:

Forum List

Back