Make College Free! (For Americans)

No free college for Americans.

Makes a lot more sense to hire American's to pick produce and flip burgers and with his grammar, that's about all the OP can do anyway.

Meanwhile, the US can go on hiring from other countries - like Trumpery already does and like the GOP keeps voting for. Put up the wall and maybe Trumpery will hire Americans. (Hey, it could happen.)

Let China, India, Europe and other countries educate their people and invest in their own country. We've got better uses for our money, like giving more to the 1%.

So Puddly Pillowbite, it is your contention that the mean level of education in China is greater than in the USA?

:lmao:

No such thing as free K-12 education either, but the expense is more than returned to our economy.

I would love to see you quantify that.

51% of the population are net contributors, 49% of our population is a drag on our economy, they consume more than they produce.

If our educational system is effective, I would expect a far different ratio.

Do you think a less educated society would be better?

And RWNJs like you attend two or three times.

That's true Pillowbite; once in the Baccalaureate program, once in the masters program, and currently in the doctoral program.

Despair not though, if you apply yourself you could be accepted to "In & Out Hamburger University"...

US pays for it too.

We don't get it but we do pay for it.

As always, you have no clue what you're talking about.

The French system has some MAJOR drawbacks. First of all, students start making career decisions on education at about age 15 and it's not completely up to the individual. Their principal has the final say in which area they will study. There there are a battery of exams that must be passed and you can't change courses without a lot of obstacles and problems. So you see, your FREEDOMS are limited in the French system.

Additionally, the French have a "higher echelon" of education similar to our Ivy League. (grandes écoles) These are extremely difficult to get into and not entirely free. Acceptance rates are under 10% and virtually no one who isn't wealthy can go.. but here is the kicker... 84% of the top executive jobs in France are held by these graduates-- contrast with about 10% of the exec jobs in the US by Ivy League grads. So your chances of success in France are limited unless you get into the higher echelon academies.

And this is almost always the case with liberal Utopian pie-in-the-sky genuflection toward "other countries" ...you fail to realize they don't have the FREEDOM we have in America. Their choices are limited and restricted in every possible way. So it all boils down to whether you want an authoritarian central government dictating your life, what you will be, where you will go, what you will do... OR... do you want FREEDOM to make those decisions on your own?

Is that all bad though?

The biggest flaw in American education is the "one size fits all" mentality. Higher education is simply not suitable for everyone. The OP is most likely a troll, but let's use him as an example: Despite being unable to construct a coherent sentence, he demands "free college." The entitlement mentality that one is handed credentials without the need to achieve them is inherent in the cultural view. Clearly this individual is not suited to higher education. Could you imagine such a person calculating z values from disparate samples using the central limit theorem? The problem is we lack the alternatives. Heating and AC technicians are neede, automotive mechanics, heavy equipment operators, etc. All of these require their own form of education. France puts students on the path of what they have intellectual capacity for.

Under the French system, Puddly Pillow bite would be a well trained burger flipper with the credentials to back it up.

Read a little history. After WWII, other countries made the decision to invest in their own country and their own people. The US decided to invest in the military.

The result is that we're the policemen to the world. We pay very high taxes for our military and to enrich the 1% but we don't take care of our own country, our own people.

Money-Driven Medicine

Read the book, watch the documentary.

Drink the Koolaide...

The French system has some MAJOR drawbacks. First of all, students start making career decisions on education at about age 15 and it's not completely up to the individual. Their principal has the final say in which area they will study. There there are a battery of exams that must be passed and you can't change courses without a lot of obstacles and problems. So you see, your FREEDOMS are limited in the French system.

Additionally, the French have a "higher echelon" of education similar to our Ivy League. (grandes écoles) These are extremely difficult to get into and not entirely free. Acceptance rates are under 10% and virtually no one who isn't wealthy can go.. but here is the kicker... 84% of the top executive jobs in France are held by these graduates-- contrast with about 10% of the exec jobs in the US by Ivy League grads. So your chances of success in France are limited unless you get into the higher echelon academies.

And this is almost always the case with liberal Utopian pie-in-the-sky genuflection toward "other countries" ...you fail to realize they don't have the FREEDOM we have in America. Their choices are limited and restricted in every possible way. So it all boils down to whether you want an authoritarian central government dictating your life, what you will be, where you will go, what you will do... OR... do you want FREEDOM to make those decisions on your own?

Is that all bad though?

The biggest flaw in American education is the "one size fits all" mentality. Higher education is simply not suitable for everyone. The OP is most likely a troll, but let's use him as an example: Despite being unable to construct a coherent sentence, he demands "free college." The entitlement mentality that one is handed credentials without the need to achieve them is inherent in the cultural view. Clearly this individual is not suited to higher education. Could you imagine such a person calculating z values from disparate samples using the central limit theorem? The problem is we lack the alternatives. Heating and AC technicians are neede, automotive mechanics, heavy equipment operators, etc. All of these require their own form of education. France puts students on the path of what they have intellectual capacity for.

Under the French system, Puddly Pillow bite would be a well trained burger flipper with the credentials to back it up.

There is no reason why extended education couldn't include things like Heating and AC, or any of the other trades you mention. Whether we are going to supply higher education, and what those courses might be are two different subjects.

Some are, and some aren't. You haven't heard about all the for profit college scams lately?

All colleges are "for profit," particularly the non-profits.

That said, there is a serious problem with the fly by night schools. I'm going to pick on Marinellos, because they have been in the news.

Marinello Schools of Beauty abruptly shuts down after federal allegations

First question, do we need licensed cosmetologists? Obviously we do, so the idea of cosmetology school is legitimate. The first issue I have is calling it "college." Sorry, it is Voc Ed. They were not accredited nor did they confer a recognized degree, so in what world were they a college?

The answer is in the federal funding world. Because democrats have mandated that we offer "college" to everyone, the Voc Ed's took to calling themselves colleges. The reality is that social promotion student Shanaqua isn't getting past the entrance examination for Cal State Fullerton, or Devry, or Redlands, or any other accredited university. BUT she did see a commercial on TV about the exciting world of beauty school! So a shark at the school fills out ten grants and three loans, fleecing the DoE and loading Shanaqua with debt (which she will never repay.) Nothing wrong with a Cosmo education, and there are jobs to be had. But there is a LOT wrong with changing $100,000 for such an education.

So why does this happen? Because we are absurd, we refuse to acknowledge the legitimate need for vocational training. Instead of nurturing legitimate Voc Ed. programs, we give "free money" to any grifter down the pike calling themselves a "college."

Yes, I blame this all on federal funding, but moreover I blame it on a fucked up culture that holds that every person is entitled to a "college" education.

Early in my career, I worked with a fine Vocational program, through the Hacienda La Puente USD, Yes, people had to pay for their own classes, no federal grants or loans. BUT the costs were kept reasonable. We worked on a shoe-string budget to ensure that the cost to students were kept at a minimum. Then the feds stepped in and started handing out money, people thought that these fly by nights were colleges and we were just "night school." So the district ended vocational training. It was the stupidity of Washington getting involved in things they didn't understand.

Some are, and some aren't. You haven't heard about all the for profit college scams lately?

That said, there is a serious problem with the fly by night schools. I'm going to pick on Marinellos, because they have been in the news.

First question, do we need licensed cosmetologists? Obviously we do, so the idea of cosmetology school is legitimate. The first issue I have is calling it "college." Sorry, it is Voc Ed. They were not accredited nor did they confer a recognized degree, so in what world were they a college?

The answer is in the federal funding world. Because democrats have mandated that we offer "college" to everyone, the Voc Ed's took to calling themselves colleges. The reality is that social promotion student Shanaqua isn't getting past the entrance examination for Cal State Fullerton, or Devry, or Redlands, or any other accredited university. BUT she did see a commercial on TV about the exciting world of beauty school! So a shark at the school fills out ten grants and three loans, fleecing the DoE and loading Shanaqua with debt (which she will never repay.) Nothing wrong with a Cosmo education, and there are jobs to be had. But there is a LOT wrong with changing $100,000 for such an education.

So why does this happen? Because we are absurd, we refuse to acknowledge the legitimate need for vocational training. Instead of nurturing legitimate Voc Ed. programs, we give "free money" to any grifter down the pike calling themselves a "college."

Yes, I blame this all on federal funding, but moreover I blame it on a fucked up culture that holds that every person is entitled to a "college" education.

Early in my career, I worked with a fine Vocational program, through the Hacienda La Puente USD, Yes, people had to pay for their own classes, no federal grants or loans. BUT the costs were kept reasonable. We worked on a shoe-string budget to ensure that the cost to students were kept at a minimum. Then the feds stepped in and started handing out money, people thought that these fly by nights were colleges and we were just "night school." So the district ended vocational training. It was the stupidity of Washington getting involved in things they didn't understand.

Perhaps you are defining college as more than it is.
col·lege
ˈkälij/
noun.
  1. an educational institution or establishment, in particular.
  2. an organized group of professional people with particular aims, duties, and privileges

Perhaps you are defining college as more than it is.
col·lege
ˈkälij/
noun.
  1. an educational institution or establishment, in particular.
  2. an organized group of professional people with particular aims, duties, and privileges

college

[kol-ij]

See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
noun
an institution of higher learning, especially one providing a general or liberal arts education rather than technical or professional training.
Compare university.
a constituent unit of a university, furnishing courses of instruction in the liberal arts and sciences, usually leading to a bachelor's degree.
an institution for vocational, technical, or professional instruction, as in medicine, pharmacy, agriculture, or music, often a part of a university.
an endowed, self-governing association of scholars incorporated within a university, as at the universities of Oxford and Cambridge in England.

the definition of college

A whole lot of us got our education this way:

View attachment 72066

Oh. I see. Just because you were a sucker, you think that everybody else should be suckers too.

No. I say if one really wants a college education he/she can certainly obtain one without sitting on his ass and waiting on someone else to give him one. I wasn't a sucker either. I was drafted into military service. Military service is an honorable thing in spite of your own opinion of it.

You condemn yourself out of your own mouth. If you think that fighting for a country that would draft you doesn't make you a sucker, you ARE a sucker. Also, I have a more realistic opinion of what it was like to be sitting on a curb with my possessions sitting on the curb next to me. Because I experienced it. There is not a goddamn thing that is honorable for fighting for a country that lets things like that happen. Here's a message to you from reality land. "Poor people aren't the problem. Lack of work is."

And lazy ass "victims" who sit on their asses and piss and moan woe is me" and expect someone else to pay their way from the cradle to the grave and proclaim they are too smart to serve is what is really pathetically wrong with you entitlement babies.

Didn't you say you were drafted? What has that to do with how smart you are. Though if you were wealthy enough at the time to be going to college, you could avoid the draft.

If college were free here like it is in some other countries, I would have probably went. Instead, I looked at the possibility of affording a college education about the same as the possibility that I might ever fly to the moon. Most people believe that a college education is good for society in general. If that is the case, wouldn't it be best to improve society in general? Also, as things are, those who aren't wealthy have to go into a deep onerous debt to get a college education. But having a college education is no guarantee of finding a job. After all, from what I hear, China is awash with hordes of unemployed engineers. So anybody going into debt to get a college education here would be taking quite a risk. People here shouldn't have to take such a risk. Especially when the outcome could very likely be inproving society in general.

There is no country in the world where college is free. Buildings, professors, infrastructure have a cost, and the cost will be paid. Shouldn't you at least acknowledge that?

I think what you want is for some government at some level to pay for it, instead of the person receiving the college education. Is there any truth to the saying- people value more what they pay for over that which is free?

A 4 year degree at a typical university can easily exceed $50k or much more. A person truly motivated, but without parents who will pay for their college can find a much cheaper way to the degree, Online classes, community college, work study, etc.

If someone else pays for your education shouldn't they have a say on what you study? If you want to get a degree in Women's Study that will cost $50k, shouldn't you have a plan to pay it back? And if the degree does not provide a reasonable path to enable you to repay the cost, is the degree worth the investment?

There is no right given to citizens in the USA which guarantees a college degree? You don't sound like you were at all motivated to get a degree, but rather would go to college if someone offered to pay. I pay for my kids college. It will cost me over $175k to graduate both of them. They were motivated to go, and my wife and I were very specific on the type of degree we would buy them.

It appears to me we have inflated the cost of a degree by the government loaning money to any 18 year old kid willing to borrow thousands of dollars to attend college. University can charge more because more people want to buy it, many with somebody else's money.

My engineering degree cost less than $17k thirty years ago. My starting salary upon graduating was $21,500 in 1985. The government should not invest tax payer dollars into degrees that don't merit the cost.

What I am saying is that students don't have to pay. What part of that don't you understand. Next, there is something more important at stake than your opinion as to how important sombebody valuing something should be. Which in this case is the difference between having a college education and not having one. After that, you flutter off into dreamland. First, online classes are a joke. Next, survival IS a JOB! If anybody told me that I had to work to survive and at the same time work to get an education, I would tell them to fuck off and die.

Next, as long as what you are trying to get a degree in is of a benifit to society in general, why in the hell would anybody care what you study. After all, how many parents who pay for their childrens education tell them what field they have to go into. Apparently you care. But you don't represent all parents. Next, those who formed the constitution weren't gods. And things can change. If you have the sense that having educated people is a benefit to society in general, then getting a college education if you want one should be a new right.

Next, that is one of the problems with our capitalist society in general. People will tend to take all they can get even if it means screwing other people over to get it. In countries where they have free college education, what teachers and the like are paid is regulated. Some people are just more competient than others and deserve to get a little more. But this is just a tradeoff that you have to accept if you want to maintain a stable, sustainable system. Next, it would appear that your degree merited the cost.

In spite of your pissing and moaning, the truth is no one is responsible for you. Get over it and get off your lazy ass and take care of yourself.

Dog eat dog is the way to go, right?

"Freedom" is a word that is used to quell the gullible. I am reminded of a lyric from a Kansas song. "Your freedoms a joke. You don't know the difference as you put on the yoke." Next, why in the hell would there need to be the most intelligent in some executive position. Their talents would be put to better use in scientific reaserch or some such thing. As to what I want, if only this forum would allow me to tell you. But my "freedom" to do so here is just as limited as any of our other "freedoms" that you may care to mention.

So we've identified the problem here... you don't believe in freedom.

Don't ask me why 84% of the executive jobs in France go to the educated elite... they just do. And you reveal exactly what kind of world you envision with the line about "scientific research." You want a government in charge of people so they can pick winners and losers. Unfortunately, under such a system, you would be the perennial loser because you're really incredibly dumb.

Not that it has ever really existed to any meaningful degree, no, I don't believe in freedom. Next, your reasoning is askew. For example, would Einstein have better used his time with mathematics or being the CEO of the Ford corporation. As for me, you know nothing about me. Who are you to judge.

You are so full of shit your eyes are brown. I see that I am talking to the medical version of a human caused global warming denier. Where is flacern. He should be getting in on some of this horseshit. Have you ever SEEN the documentary "Sicko?" In it they went with a rid along with a DOCTOR who was making house calls. The V.A. doesn't do that. Also, in that documentary they SHOWED people who became homeless because they couldn't afford their medical bills.

Next, I can't say how long people in Canada have to wait for an MRI or kidney transplant. But considering some of your other lies, I would be willing to bet that it isn't as dire as you make out. Next, if you can pay to get anything done in a timely manner here in the U.S. It could still be done in a timely manner. No matter where the paycheck comes from. You can't dismiss "timliness" down to greed. It could make a little difference, but not a major one. Also, if college was for free, there would be more qualified people around to do whatever.

Next, bureaucrat who works for the government is ultimately answerable to the voters. Because they are part of the government. Those in the private sector aren't answerable to anybody. Of course, this isn't always the case. Because you can't sue anybody in the V.A. for malpractice. Also, one of the major problems with the costs of our current medical system is that most of the money for treatment goes towards supporting the bureaucracy.

I don't really watch propaganda films which socialists like to call "documentaries." Most of the time, they are full of outright misinformation and lies. Best case scenario, they show only one side of the story. So no, I haven't watched your propaganda film and I don't plan to... but the VA is the government-run health care system you want for everybody.

As for what can be done in a timely manner, free market capitalism isn't something you understand... not surprising. You cannot provide free unlimited health care to 350 million people for every ache and pain and do it in a timely manner. Doctors and nurses don't work for free. Health care professionals aren't compelled to work unlimited hours to ensure everyone gets cared for. Someone has to pay for that and you want it to be the taxpayers, but the taxpayer can't pay for it either. So what typically happens in such a system is, the elite... the ruling class... the top echelon of society... they get treated first because they have the money to motivate people... they have the power to motivate people. The underclass suffer and have their care rationed... waiting times lengthened... treatments curtailed or restricted.

What your dumb ass apparently doesn't understand is, YOU are NEVER going to be a part of the upper echelon. YOU will NEVER be one of the ruling class elite. YOU are what is known as a "useful idiot" ...exploited for your stupidity so that people much smarter than you can live a better life.

I can say this for you. You go to some lengths to show how stupid you are. Maybe you would like to try another documentary. It's called "The Corporation."

If college were free here like it is in some other countries, I would have probably went. Instead, I looked at the possibility of affording a college education about the same as the possibility that I might ever fly to the moon. Most people believe that a college education is good for society in general. If that is the case, wouldn't it be best to improve society in general? Also, as things are, those who aren't wealthy have to go into a deep onerous debt to get a college education. But having a college education is no guarantee of finding a job. After all, from what I hear, China is awash with hordes of unemployed engineers. So anybody going into debt to get a college education here would be taking quite a risk. People here shouldn't have to take such a risk. Especially when the outcome could very likely be inproving society in general.

There is no country in the world where college is free. Buildings, professors, infrastructure have a cost, and the cost will be paid. Shouldn't you at least acknowledge that?

I think what you want is for some government at some level to pay for it, instead of the person receiving the college education. Is there any truth to the saying- people value more what they pay for over that which is free?

A 4 year degree at a typical university can easily exceed $50k or much more. A person truly motivated, but without parents who will pay for their college can find a much cheaper way to the degree, Online classes, community college, work study, etc.

If someone else pays for your education shouldn't they have a say on what you study? If you want to get a degree in Women's Study that will cost $50k, shouldn't you have a plan to pay it back? And if the degree does not provide a reasonable path to enable you to repay the cost, is the degree worth the investment?

There is no right given to citizens in the USA which guarantees a college degree? You don't sound like you were at all motivated to get a degree, but rather would go to college if someone offered to pay. I pay for my kids college. It will cost me over $175k to graduate both of them. They were motivated to go, and my wife and I were very specific on the type of degree we would buy them.

It appears to me we have inflated the cost of a degree by the government loaning money to any 18 year old kid willing to borrow thousands of dollars to attend college. University can charge more because more people want to buy it, many with somebody else's money.

My engineering degree cost less than $17k thirty years ago. My starting salary upon graduating was $21,500 in 1985. The government should not invest tax payer dollars into degrees that don't merit the cost.

What I am saying is that students don't have to pay. What part of that don't you understand. Next, there is something more important at stake than your opinion as to how important sombebody valuing something should be. Which in this case is the difference between having a college education and not having one. After that, you flutter off into dreamland. First, online classes are a joke. Next, survival IS a JOB! If anybody told me that I had to work to survive and at the same time work to get an education, I would tell them to fuck off and die.

Next, as long as what you are trying to get a degree in is of a benifit to society in general, why in the hell would anybody care what you study. After all, how many parents who pay for their childrens education tell them what field they have to go into. Apparently you care. But you don't represent all parents. Next, those who formed the constitution weren't gods. And things can change. If you have the sense that having educated people is a benefit to society in general, then getting a college education if you want one should be a new right.

Next, that is one of the problems with our capitalist society in general. People will tend to take all they can get even if it means screwing other people over to get it. In countries where they have free college education, what teachers and the like are paid is regulated. Some people are just more competient than others and deserve to get a little more. But this is just a tradeoff that you have to accept if you want to maintain a stable, sustainable system. Next, it would appear that your degree merited the cost.

Ok, I agree, you definitely need more education. May I suggest logic and debate for your first two classes. And you should definitely be the spokesperson to advance the cause.

Anyplace that you feel my logic is lacking, be sure to let me know.

You are so full of shit your eyes are brown. I see that I am talking to the medical version of a human caused global warming denier. Where is flacern. He should be getting in on some of this horseshit. Have you ever SEEN the documentary "Sicko?" In it they went with a rid along with a DOCTOR who was making house calls. The V.A. doesn't do that. Also, in that documentary they SHOWED people who became homeless because they couldn't afford their medical bills.

Next, I can't say how long people in Canada have to wait for an MRI or kidney transplant. But considering some of your other lies, I would be willing to bet that it isn't as dire as you make out. Next, if you can pay to get anything done in a timely manner here in the U.S. It could still be done in a timely manner. No matter where the paycheck comes from. You can't dismiss "timliness" down to greed. It could make a little difference, but not a major one. Also, if college was for free, there would be more qualified people around to do whatever.

Next, bureaucrat who works for the government is ultimately answerable to the voters. Because they are part of the government. Those in the private sector aren't answerable to anybody. Of course, this isn't always the case. Because you can't sue anybody in the V.A. for malpractice. Also, one of the major problems with the costs of our current medical system is that most of the money for treatment goes towards supporting the bureaucracy.

I don't really watch propaganda films which socialists like to call "documentaries." Most of the time, they are full of outright misinformation and lies. Best case scenario, they show only one side of the story. So no, I haven't watched your propaganda film and I don't plan to... but the VA is the government-run health care system you want for everybody.

As for what can be done in a timely manner, free market capitalism isn't something you understand... not surprising. You cannot provide free unlimited health care to 350 million people for every ache and pain and do it in a timely manner. Doctors and nurses don't work for free. Health care professionals aren't compelled to work unlimited hours to ensure everyone gets cared for. Someone has to pay for that and you want it to be the taxpayers, but the taxpayer can't pay for it either. So what typically happens in such a system is, the elite... the ruling class... the top echelon of society... they get treated first because they have the money to motivate people... they have the power to motivate people. The underclass suffer and have their care rationed... waiting times lengthened... treatments curtailed or restricted.

What your dumb ass apparently doesn't understand is, YOU are NEVER going to be a part of the upper echelon. YOU will NEVER be one of the ruling class elite. YOU are what is known as a "useful idiot" ...exploited for your stupidity so that people much smarter than you can live a better life.

Hey Boss, I think that was mean, and the government should pay to send you to sensitivity training, so you can learn how offensive the truth can be to some people.

Fuck'em.

Forum List

Back