Made in Bangladesh.........

Sunshine

Trust the pie.
Dec 17, 2009
Last week I bought a set of towels. The tag said 'Made in Bangladesh.' They were the roughest cheapest thinnest towels I have ever purchased. Now that might be a problem for some, but it wasn't for me. When I was growing up we didn't have much money so our towels were pretty well worn out and they were line dried which meant they were also rough. I don't really like big fluffy towels. I like thin rough towels like I grew up with, but only in summer do I line dry them.

Never fear. If you come to my house, I keep big fluffy towels for my guests!~

Welcome to the ever changing world of consumer goods in America. What you buy equates with poverty more and more every day. Some on here should really like that.

Last week I bought a set of towels. The tag said 'Made in Bangladesh.' They were the roughest cheapest thinnest towels I have ever purchased. Now that might be a problem for some, but it wasn't for me. When I was growing up we didn't have much money so our towels were pretty well worn out and they were line dried which meant they were also rough. I don't really like big fluffy towels. I like thin rough towels like I grew up with, but only in summer do I line dry them.

Welcome to the ever changing world of consumer goods in America. What you buy equates with poverty more and more every day. Some on here should really like that.

I'm not sure what your point is.

You bought some shitty towels - so what?

What does that have to do with "the ever changing world of consumer goods"? How do your bath towels "equate" to poverty?

It seems to me you just bought shitty towels. I just bought some great bath towels, 100% Egyptian cotton. They're fantastic, and not that expensive. I'll send you the website if you like.

What does that have to do with "the ever changing world of consumer goods"? How do your bath towels "equate" to poverty?

It seems to me you just bought shitty towels. I just bought some great bath towels, 100% Egyptian cotton. They're fantastic, and not that expensive. I'll send you the website if you like.

You must be on crack or something. I just stated that I like thin rough towels. Keep your Egyptian cotton towels. I have great towels for my guests and don't really need you to tell me what to buy. Not so long ago everyone was grousing that everything at Wally World was made in China. Looks like that has changed.

Wanna see who grows your Egyptian cotton?

Children keep Egypt's cotton spinning | Marketplace from American Public Media

You must be on crack or something. I just stated that I like thin rough towels. Keep your Egyptian cotton towels. I have great towels for my guests and don't really need you to tell me what to buy. Not so long ago everyone was grousing that everything at Wally World was made in China. Looks like that has changed.

I ask again.

What is the point of your OP?

I don't care what type of towels you like. I'm asking what do your bangladeshi towels have to do with anything.

I'm asking how the "world of consumer goods is changing". I'm asking how your towels, or any other products, equate to poverty.

No all cotton is grown in Egyptian. I have a friend who is a cotton farmer, they grows pima cotton.

But i understand what you are saying.... cheap price equals cheap quality.

No all cotton is grown in Egyptian. I have a friend who is a cotton farmer, they grows pima cotton.

But i understand what you are saying.... cheap price equals cheap quality.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzeLoa1gwCU]I WISH I WAS IN DIXIE LAND - YouTube[/ame]

Syrenn!! You must still be asleep today! I live in the south - the land of cotton. Not much is grown in KY, maybe a little down along the TN border, but once you get into TN on south it is cotton for as far as the eye can see. And "a bale" of cotton is as big as a small building.

While I tend to like cheap quality towels, most do not and are gong to be way more peeved at items from Bangladesh than they were with items from China.

China is home to a large number of engineers. Not looking it up, but they number disproportionately to the population. Still, everything I buy from China has some design flaw in it that makes the product just maddening and makes me wonder if it is deliberate. Now that I have seen my first product from Bangladesh, which suits me fine but probably not everyone else, I am really eager to see what kind of design flaws their merchandise is going to have. Somehow, I have a feeling we are all going to long for the good ole days of 'Made in China!' LOL

Last edited:

I ask again.

What is the point of your OP?

I don't care what type of towels you like. I'm asking what do your bangladeshi towels have to do with anything.

I'm asking how the "world of consumer goods is changing". I'm asking how your towels, or any other products, equate to poverty.

This was the point of the op- expressed clearly in the op:

Welcome to the ever changing world of consumer goods in America. What you buy equates with poverty more and more every day

It was a point about products made in poverty-stricken countries and how that translates into consumer dissatisfaction here in the States. Personally, I like thin crappy towels, the older the better, until they start fraying.

Two owners arrested in building collapse that kills over 300 garment workers...
:eusa_eh:
Two arrested for factory collapse in Bangladesh
Sun, Apr 28, 2013 - SMELL OF DEATH: With temperatures hitting 35°C, rescuers sprayed perfume to mask the stench of decay as they looked for survivors among the rubble
Police in Bangladesh arrested two owners of a garment factory in a shoddily constructed building that collapsed this week, killing at least 324 people, as protests spread to a second city yesterday, with hundreds of people throwing stones and setting fire to vehicles. The wife of the building owner, who is on the run, was also detained in an attempt to force him to surrender. Bangladeshi police often detain relatives of missing suspects as a way of pressuring them to surrender. Rescue workers continued to bring badly decomposed bodies out of the tangled mess of concrete, bricks and steel amid frenzied efforts to pull out remaining survivors, more than three days after the building came down in the worst tragedy to hit Bangladesh’s massive, but poorly regulated, garment industry that supplies clothes to top Western brand names.

Teams were going in from seven entry points gouged into the rubble. Every once in a while a body would be brought out, covered in cloth and plastic, to a spot where ambulances were parked. Workers furiously sprayed air-fresheners on the bodies to cover the stench, leaving the air thick with the smell of death and cheap perfume. The bodies were kept at the nearby Adharchandra High School before being handed over to families. Many people milled around at the school, waving photos of their missing loved ones. Bangladeshi military spokesman Shahinul Islam said 324 bodies have been recovered and 2,419 people accounted for, including 19 who were pulled out yesterday. Police in riot gear formed a cordon around the site to keep away hundreds of protesters who have been venting their anger at the situation since Wednesday. The protests have spread outside Savar, a Dhaka suburb where the collapse happened.

Police fired rubber bullets, tear gas and used sticks to disperse several hundred stone-throwing garment workers yesterday in Savar, a police official said. Clashes also erupted in other parts of Dhaka and in the southeastern city of Chittagong where hundreds of workers took to the streets and vandalized vehicles. They also put up roadblocks, disrupting traffic. Authorities shut down garment factories in Dhaka for fear of violence, which has persisted over demands that police arrest the owners of the factories and the building. Bangladeshi Junior Home Minister Shamsul Haque Tuku said police had arrested Bazlus Samad, managing director of New Wave Apparels Ltd, and Mahmudur Rahman Tapash, the company chairman.

He told reporters that police had also detained the wife of Mohammed Sohel Rana, the owner of the collapsed Rana Plaza building, for questioning. The top three floors of the eight-story building were built illegally. Bangladeshi authorities are still searching for Rana, a local politician, who has not been seen publicly since the collapse. Negligence cases have been filed against him. Dhaka Police Superintendent Habibur Rahman said Rana was a local leader of the ruling Awami League’s youth front. His arrest, and that of the factory owners, was ordered by Bangladeshi Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, who is also the head of the Awami League. Rescuers cautiously used hammers, shovels and their bare hands to search for bodies. Many of the trapped workers were so badly hurt and weakened that they needed to be removed within a few hours, rescuers said.

MORE

I'm glad to find out I am not the only one that likes thin rough towels, lol. I thought it was just me.
Fluffy towels are too heavy for my hand/wrist joints. Try drying off with a huge fluffy towel, one handed. Ack!

The big fluffs aren't as absorbent. Hate 'em.

I found a pair of slacks at Old Navy that were made in Bang-Bang land. Very light comfortable cotton and they come out of the dryer wrinkly which is how I wear them. They look hip with a pair of New Balance and a knit polo. Me so sexy.

What you buy equates with poverty more and more every day. Some on here should really like that.

we should all be very thankful that globalization gives dirt poor folks all over the world a chance to earn a living rather than to starve to death.

What you buy equates with poverty more and more every day. Some on here should really like that.

we should all be very thankful that globalization gives dirt poor folks all over the world a chance to earn a living rather than to starve to death.

Bangladesh collapse: What cost cheap clothes? - CNN.com

Bu....bu...bu...they only make $37/month. And the products are notoriously cheap in quality. Remember when 'Made in Japan' was as bad as it could get? Betcha didn't think it could get worse did you.

They keep their currency low as compared to our US currency. That way their $37/ month is more like our $3700/month. Go to China. With an exchange rate of 8:1 which it was when I was there, you feel like a millionaire.

Of course the guilt ridden existentialists on here will be wearing their hair shirts for a year.

Last edited:

Bu....bu...bu...they only make $37/month. And the products are notoriously cheap in quality. Remember when 'Made in Japan' was as bad as it could get? Betcha didn't think it could get worse did you.

They keep their currency low as compared to our US currency. That way their $37/ month is more like our $3700/month. Go to China. With an exchange rate of 8:1 which it was when I was there, you feel like a millionaire.

Of course the guilt ridden existentialists on here will be wearing their hair shirts for a year.

most importantly, they take the jobs because they represent a step up rather than a step down

most importantly, they take the jobs because they represent a step up rather than a step down

Yes, they do. Most people would rather work and have some money than not work and not have any.

"Karl Marx noted, 'But in its blind unrestrainable passion, its wear-wolf hunger for surplus labour, capital oversteps not only the moral, but even the merely physical maximum bounds of the working-day. It usurps the time for growth, development and healthy maintenance of the body.

"It steals the time required for the consumption of fresh air and sunlight…. All that concerns it is simply and solely the maximum of labour-power that can be rendered fluent in a working-day.

"It attains this end by shortening the extent of the labourer’s life...(Capital, Chapter 10)."

Eb...please get out more.
Capital needs you in the trenches, making the world safe for corrupt parasites everywhere!

The Terror of Capitalism » Counterpunch: Tells the Facts, Names the Names

ahoy Sunshine,

i hafta check me recent purchases, but i just recently returned from a shoppin' spree with armfuls 'o Banana Republic and Urban Outfitter stuffs - and i think some 'o the stuffs was made in Bangladesh. i know 'twas all made in Asia, at any rate. i'd buy American, but the textile industry hath lifted anchor and sailed to far east, lass. whats a swabby to do?

i be a fan 'o big, fluffy towels, though.

aye.

- MeadHallPirate

Forum List

Back