Made in Bangladesh.........

Bangladesh collapse: What cost cheap clothes? - CNN.com

Bu....bu...bu...they only make $37/month. And the products are notoriously cheap in quality. Remember when 'Made in Japan' was as bad as it could get? Betcha didn't think it could get worse did you.

They keep their currency low as compared to our US currency. That way their $37/ month is more like our $3700/month. Go to China. With an exchange rate of 8:1 which it was when I was there, you feel like a millionaire.

Of course the guilt ridden existentialists on here will be wearing their hair shirts for a year.

most importantly, they take the jobs because they represent a step up rather than a step down
"Karl Marx noted, 'But in its blind unrestrainable passion, its wear-wolf hunger for surplus labour, capital oversteps not only the moral, but even the merely physical maximum bounds of the working-day. It usurps the time for growth, development and healthy maintenance of the body.

"It steals the time required for the consumption of fresh air and sunlight…. All that concerns it is simply and solely the maximum of labour-power that can be rendered fluent in a working-day.

"It attains this end by shortening the extent of the labourer’s life...(Capital, Chapter 10)."

Eb...please get out more.
Capital needs you in the trenches, making the world safe for corrupt parasites everywhere!

The Terror of Capitalism » Counterpunch: Tells the Facts, Names the Names

Marxist liberal without IQ to know that in a capitalist county folks only take the job that improves their standard of living the most.

This is how we got from the stone age to here, while the liberal's Marxism slowly starved 100 million to death.

Why not support Nazism, it has a better record than Marxism??

Are you a Nazi too?

Granny says dey oughta grill him till his teeth fall out...
:cool:
Bangladesh police interrogate building's owner
Apr 29,`13 -- A Bangladesh court on Monday gave police 15 days to interrogate the owner of a building that collapsed last week, killing at least 382 people, as rescuers used heavy machinery to cut through the destroyed structure after giving up hopes of finding any more survivors.
Mohammed Sohel Rana, who was arrested Sunday as he tried to flee to India, will be held for questioning on charges of negligence, illegal construction and forcing workers to join work. His father, Abdul Khaleque, was also arrested on suspicion of aiding Rana to force people to work in a dangerous building. The illegally constructed, 8-story Rana Plaza collapsed in a heap Wednesday morning as thousands of people worked inside in five garment factories. About 2,500 survivors have been accounted for.

Rana was brought to the Dhaka Metropolitan Magistrate's Court in a bullet-proof vest, and led away to an unknown detention place after the magistrate granted a police request to hold him longer before filing formal charges. The crimes he is accused of carry a maximum punishment of seven years. More charges could be added later. The collapse was the deadliest disaster to hit Bangladesh's garment industry, which is worth $20 billion annually and supplies global retailers.

In renewed anger against conditions in garment factories - a mainstay of Bangladesh's economy - hundreds of workers poured into the streets in the Dhaka suburb of Ashulia and set fire to an ambulance Monday, the Independent TV network reported. They also tried to set fire to a factory, it said. Authorities shut down all garment factories in the Ashulia and Gazipur industrial suburbs, including one that had reportedly developed cracks and was evacuated earlier.

Volunteers, army personnel and firefighters have worked around the clock since Wednesday, mostly using their hands and light equipment to pull out survivors. Around midnight Sunday, authorities deployed hydraulic cranes and heavy cutting machines to break up the massive slabs of concrete into manageable pieces that could be lifted away. "We are proceeding cautiously. If there is still a soul alive, we will try to rescue that person," said army spokesman Shahinul Islam.

MORE

See also:

Surviving hell in a Bangladesh factory collapse
Apr 29,`13 -- Merina was so tired. It had been three days since the garment factory where she worked had collapsed around her, three days since she'd moved more than a few inches. In that time she'd had nothing to eat and just a few sips of water. The cries for help had long since subsided. The moans of the injured had gone silent.
It was fatigue she feared the most. If sleep took her, Merina was certain she would never wake up. "I can't fall asleep," the 21-year-old thought to herself, her face inches from a concrete slab that had once been the ceiling above her. She'd spent seven years working beneath that ceiling, sewing T-shirts and pants destined for stores from Paris to Los Angeles. She worked 14 hours a day, six days a week, with her two sisters. She made the equivalent of about $16 a week. Now she lay on her back in the sweltering heat, worrying for her sisters and herself. And as the bodies of her former coworkers began to rot, the stench filled the darkness.

----

The eight-story, concrete-and-glass Rana Plaza was one of hundreds of similar buildings in the crowded, potholed streets of Savar, an industrial suburb of Bangladesh's capital and the center of the country's $20 billion garment industry. If Bangladesh remains one of the world's poorest nations, it is no longer a complete economic cripple. Instead, it turned its poverty to its advantage, heralding workers who make some of the world's lowest wages and attracting some of the world's leading brands.

But this same economic miracle has plunged Bangladesh into a vicious downward spiral of keeping costs down, as major retailers compete for customers who want ever cheaper clothes. It is the workers who often pay the price in terms of safety and labor conditions. The trouble at Rana Plaza began Tuesday morning, when workers spotted long cracks in at least one of the building's concrete pillars. The trails of chipped plaster led to a chunk of concrete, about the size of a shoe box, that had broken away. The police were called. Inspectors came to check on the building, which housed shops on the lower floors and five crowded clothing factories on the upper ones.

At 10 a.m., the 3,200 garment workers were told to leave early for lunch. At 2 p.m., they were told to leave for the day. Few of the workers - mostly migrants from desperately poor villages - asked why. Some were told the building had unexplained electricity issues. The best factory buildings are well-constructed and regularly inspected. The workers are trained what to do in case of an emergency. Rana Plaza was not one of those buildings. The owner, Mohammed Sohel Rana, was a feared neighborhood political enforcer who had branched into real estate. In 2010, he was given a permit to build a five-story building on a piece of land that had once been a swamp. He built eight stories.

Rana came quickly after the crack was found. So did the police, some reporters and officials from the country's largest garment industry association. Rana refused to close the building. "There is nothing serious," he said. The workers were told to return the next morning, as scheduled, at 8 a.m.

MORE

Apr 29,`13 -- A Bangladesh court on Monday gave police 15 days to interrogate the owner of a building that collapsed last week, killing at least 382 people, as rescuers used heavy machinery to cut through the destroyed structure after giving up hopes of finding any more survivors.
Mohammed Sohel Rana, who was arrested Sunday as he tried to flee to India, will be held for questioning on charges of negligence, illegal construction and forcing workers to join work. His father, Abdul Khaleque, was also arrested on suspicion of aiding Rana to force people to work in a dangerous building. The illegally constructed, 8-story Rana Plaza collapsed in a heap Wednesday morning as thousands of people worked inside in five garment factories. About 2,500 survivors have been accounted for.

Rana was brought to the Dhaka Metropolitan Magistrate's Court in a bullet-proof vest, and led away to an unknown detention place after the magistrate granted a police request to hold him longer before filing formal charges. The crimes he is accused of carry a maximum punishment of seven years. More charges could be added later. The collapse was the deadliest disaster to hit Bangladesh's garment industry, which is worth $20 billion annually and supplies global retailers.

In renewed anger against conditions in garment factories - a mainstay of Bangladesh's economy - hundreds of workers poured into the streets in the Dhaka suburb of Ashulia and set fire to an ambulance Monday, the Independent TV network reported. They also tried to set fire to a factory, it said. Authorities shut down all garment factories in the Ashulia and Gazipur industrial suburbs, including one that had reportedly developed cracks and was evacuated earlier.

Volunteers, army personnel and firefighters have worked around the clock since Wednesday, mostly using their hands and light equipment to pull out survivors. Around midnight Sunday, authorities deployed hydraulic cranes and heavy cutting machines to break up the massive slabs of concrete into manageable pieces that could be lifted away. "We are proceeding cautiously. If there is still a soul alive, we will try to rescue that person," said army spokesman Shahinul Islam.

MORE

See also:

Apr 29,`13 -- Merina was so tired. It had been three days since the garment factory where she worked had collapsed around her, three days since she'd moved more than a few inches. In that time she'd had nothing to eat and just a few sips of water. The cries for help had long since subsided. The moans of the injured had gone silent.
It was fatigue she feared the most. If sleep took her, Merina was certain she would never wake up. "I can't fall asleep," the 21-year-old thought to herself, her face inches from a concrete slab that had once been the ceiling above her. She'd spent seven years working beneath that ceiling, sewing T-shirts and pants destined for stores from Paris to Los Angeles. She worked 14 hours a day, six days a week, with her two sisters. She made the equivalent of about $16 a week. Now she lay on her back in the sweltering heat, worrying for her sisters and herself. And as the bodies of her former coworkers began to rot, the stench filled the darkness.

----

The eight-story, concrete-and-glass Rana Plaza was one of hundreds of similar buildings in the crowded, potholed streets of Savar, an industrial suburb of Bangladesh's capital and the center of the country's $20 billion garment industry. If Bangladesh remains one of the world's poorest nations, it is no longer a complete economic cripple. Instead, it turned its poverty to its advantage, heralding workers who make some of the world's lowest wages and attracting some of the world's leading brands.

But this same economic miracle has plunged Bangladesh into a vicious downward spiral of keeping costs down, as major retailers compete for customers who want ever cheaper clothes. It is the workers who often pay the price in terms of safety and labor conditions. The trouble at Rana Plaza began Tuesday morning, when workers spotted long cracks in at least one of the building's concrete pillars. The trails of chipped plaster led to a chunk of concrete, about the size of a shoe box, that had broken away. The police were called. Inspectors came to check on the building, which housed shops on the lower floors and five crowded clothing factories on the upper ones.

At 10 a.m., the 3,200 garment workers were told to leave early for lunch. At 2 p.m., they were told to leave for the day. Few of the workers - mostly migrants from desperately poor villages - asked why. Some were told the building had unexplained electricity issues. The best factory buildings are well-constructed and regularly inspected. The workers are trained what to do in case of an emergency. Rana Plaza was not one of those buildings. The owner, Mohammed Sohel Rana, was a feared neighborhood political enforcer who had branched into real estate. In 2010, he was given a permit to build a five-story building on a piece of land that had once been a swamp. He built eight stories.

Rana came quickly after the crack was found. So did the police, some reporters and officials from the country's largest garment industry association. Rana refused to close the building. "There is nothing serious," he said. The workers were told to return the next morning, as scheduled, at 8 a.m.

MORE

story really has no political significance since buildings collapse all over the world.

Last week I bought a set of towels. The tag said 'Made in Bangladesh.' They were the roughest cheapest thinnest towels I have ever purchased. Now that might be a problem for some, but it wasn't for me. When I was growing up we didn't have much money so our towels were pretty well worn out and they were line dried which meant they were also rough. I don't really like big fluffy towels. I like thin rough towels like I grew up with, but only in summer do I line dry them.

Never fear. If you come to my house, I keep big fluffy towels for my guests!~

Welcome to the ever changing world of consumer goods in America. What you buy equates with poverty more and more every day. Some on here should really like that.

ahoy Sunshine,

i hafta check me recent purchases, but i just recently returned from a shoppin' spree with armfuls 'o Banana Republic and Urban Outfitter stuffs - and i think some 'o the stuffs was made in Bangladesh. i know 'twas all made in Asia, at any rate. i'd buy American, but the textile industry hath lifted anchor and sailed to far east, lass. whats a swabby to do?
i be a fan 'o big, fluffy towels, though.

aye.

- MeadHallPirate

Yes, that's exactly the problem. I buy American any time I can find it. Just bought a couple of chairs that were made in America. I bought at the end of the season and got a spectacular buy.

MORE

See also:

----

MORE

story really has no political significance since buildings collapse all over the world.

You are correct. It was a privately owned building in a country that probably needs to update its building codes. I noticed when I was in China that all the scaffolds for the skyscrapers were made of bamboo.

Bangladesh collapse: What cost cheap clothes? - CNN.com

Bu....bu...bu...they only make $37/month. And the products are notoriously cheap in quality. Remember when 'Made in Japan' was as bad as it could get? Betcha didn't think it could get worse did you.

They keep their currency low as compared to our US currency. That way their $37/ month is more like our $3700/month. Go to China. With an exchange rate of 8:1 which it was when I was there, you feel like a millionaire.

Of course the guilt ridden existentialists on here will be wearing their hair shirts for a year.
O
most importantly, they take the jobs because they represent a step up rather than a step down
"Karl Marx noted, 'But in its blind unrestrainable passion, its wear-wolf hunger for surplus labour, capital oversteps not only the moral, but even the merely physical maximum bounds of the working-day. It usurps the time for growth, development and healthy maintenance of the body.

"It steals the time required for the consumption of fresh air and sunlight…. All that concerns it is simply and solely the maximum of labour-power that can be rendered fluent in a working-day.

"It attains this end by shortening the extent of the labourer’s life...(Capital, Chapter 10)."

Capital needs you in the trenches, making the world safe for corrupt parasites everywhere!

I hate to break your bubble, but this is not a just world. This is not even a just country, even for widows who fnid themselves with the responsibility of raising children alone. Especially for such people. And you know what else? When it IS a just world, you will be expected to do something other than sit on a message board all day. YOU will be expected to contribute.

Last week I bought a set of towels. The tag said 'Made in Bangladesh.' They were the roughest cheapest thinnest towels I have ever purchased. Now that might be a problem for some, but it wasn't for me. When I was growing up we didn't have much money so our towels were pretty well worn out and they were line dried which meant they were also rough. I don't really like big fluffy towels. I like thin rough towels like I grew up with, but only in summer do I line dry them.

Welcome to the ever changing world of consumer goods in America. What you buy equates with poverty more and more every day. Some on here should really like that.

ahoy Sunshine,

i hafta check me recent purchases, but i just recently returned from a shoppin' spree with armfuls 'o Banana Republic and Urban Outfitter stuffs - and i think some 'o the stuffs was made in Bangladesh. i know 'twas all made in Asia, at any rate. i'd buy American, but the textile industry hath lifted anchor and sailed to far east, lass. whats a swabby to do?

aye.

- MeadHallPirate

Hey MHP. Good to see you! Was just thinking about you a couple of days ago. Welcome. Maybe you can help me stay out of trouble! :eusa_whistle:

ahoy Sunshine,

aye.

- MeadHallPirate

Hey MHP. Good to see you! Was just thinking about you a couple of days ago. Welcome. Maybe you can help me stay out of trouble! :eusa_whistle:

yes indeed, most liberals have a low IQ, but this one thinks he's a pirate!! Good God!!

ahoy Sunshine,

aye.

- MeadHallPirate

yes indeed, most liberals have a low IQ, but this one thinks he's a pirate!! Good God!!

I hate to break it to you, but there are several of us who were friends both online and IRL before we ever came here. Some of us are mature enough to be able to be friends even though we differ politically. So you can take your pontificatioins and put them where the sun don't shine!

Marxist liberal without IQ to know that in a capitalist county folks only take the job that improves their standard of living the most.

This is how we got from the stone age to here, while the liberal's Marxism slowly starved 100 million to death.

Why not support Nazism, it has a better record than Marxism??

Are you a Nazi too?
How did capitalism improve Merina's standard of living, Eb?

"SAVAR, Bangladesh (AP) -- Merina was so tired. It had been three days since the garment factory where she worked had collapsed around her, three days since she'd moved more than a few inches. In that time she'd had nothing to eat and just a few sips of water. The cries for help had long since subsided. The moans of the injured had gone silent.

"It was fatigue she feared the most. If sleep took her, Merina was certain she would never wake up.

"'I can't fall asleep,' the 21-year-old thought to herself, her face inches from a concrete slab that had once been the ceiling above her. She'd spent seven years working beneath that ceiling, sewing T-shirts and pants destined for stores from Paris to Los Angeles.

"She worked 14 hours a day, six days a week, with her two sisters.

"She made the equivalent of about $16 a week."

Have you ever worked 14 hours a day, six days a week, Eb?

How many millions did capitalism butcher in the two great wars of the 20th Century?

News from The Associated Press

How did capitalism improve Merina's standard of living, Eb?

Dear, buildings collapse and accidents happen in all countries with all kinds of economies! Can you even open your mouth without being 100% dumb????

Morover, as capitalism makes countries richer accidents become fewer, building codes and inspections get stricter, obviously!!

Moreover the people of Bangladesh and China are slowly getting rich thanks to capitalism!!

Wiki:The economy of Bangladesh is a rapidly developing market-based economy.[6] Its per capita income in 2010 was est. US$1,700 (adjusted by purchasing power parity). According to the International Monetary Fund, Bangladesh ranked as the 44th largest economy in the world in 2011 in PPP terms and 57th largest in nominal terms, among the Next Eleven or N-11 of Goldman Sachs and D-8 economies, with a gross domestic product of US$269.3 billion in PPP terms and US$104.9 billion in nominal terms. The economy has grown at the rate of 6-7% per annum over the past few years.

Last edited:

MORE

See also:

----

MORE

What moral significance do you ascribe to this story?

See also:

dear, accidents have little or no moral significance.

what moral significance do you ascribe to a car accident in the USA?

Besides as a Marxist Nazi teaching communism after it slowly starved 100 million to death you have no right to talk about morality!!

O

I hate to break your bubble, but this is not a just world. This is not even a just country, even for widows who fnid themselves with the responsibility of raising children alone. Especially for such people. And you know what else? When it IS a just world, you will be expected to do something other than sit on a message board all day. YOU will be expected to contribute.
I wonder if you get out enough to know injustice increases in direct proportion to wealth inequality? As the global rich amass an ever greater share of wealth and income, they buy pliable politicians to legalize their injustice. Regulations and inspections become "free market" commodities. Did you know the Ministry of Labour's Inspections Department in Bangladesh has 18 inspectors to monitor 100,000 factories? You apparently don't care.

dear, accidents have little or no moral significance.

what moral significance do you ascribe to a car accident in the USA?

Besides as a Marxist Nazi teaching communism after it slowly starved 100 million to death you have no right to talk about morality!!
"'Don't speak bullshit!' a factory manager told a 26-year-old garment worker named Sharma, she said, when she worried about going inside. 'There is no problem.'"

Capitalism is the problem, Eb, as the one hundred million human beings who perished in its last two major wars would be quick to tell you. (except they're all as dead as Thatcher)

News from The Associated Press

"'Don't speak bullshit!' a factory manager told a 26-year-old garment worker named Sharma, she said, when she worried about going inside. 'There is no problem.'"[/quote]

too stupid many got killed in Red China when it was communist, does that mean communism was the problem?? You're a perfect fool brainwashed liberal!!

Capitalism is the problem, Eb, as the one hundred million human beings who perished in its last two major wars would be quick to tell you. (except they're all as dead as Thatcher)

so in your brainwashed idiotic world WW2 was caused by capitalism as well as the factory collapse in Bangladesh?????

So the world should turn back to your Nazi communism??? Did you like HItler or Stalin more??

"'Don't speak bullshit!' a factory manager told a 26-year-old garment worker named Sharma, she said, when she worried about going inside. 'There is no problem.'"

too stupid many got killed in Red China when it was communist, does that mean communism was the problem?? You're a perfect fool brainwashed liberal!!

so in your brainwashed idiotic world WW2 was caused by capitalism as well as the factory collapse in Bangladesh?????

So the world should turn back to your Nazi communism??? Did you like HItler or Stalin more??[/QUOTE]
Are you saying the world wars were caused by Christian Capitalists?

"Compare that to the Christian European tally of, oh, lets say 100 million (16 million in WW I, 60 million in WW II– though some of those were attributable to Buddhists in Asia– and millions more in colonial wars.)"

What are you, some kinda commie-jihadi?

Would you call all capitalists opportunists?

"When the Bangladesh National Party was in power, Rana was with them; when the Awami League came back, he headed its local youth wing.

"Ashrafuddin Khan Imu, one of Rana’s rivals in the Awami party told the Associated Press’ Farid Hossain and Tim Sullivan, 'He doesn’t belong to any particular political party. Whatever party is in power, he is there.' Rana is an equal opportunity scoundrel, whose own ideology is power, and its cognate, money.'"

Sounds like Rana would have made a good Rockefeller?

Among the Thugs » Counterpunch: Tells the Facts, Names the Names

See why all capitalists are slaves?

Forum List

Back