Made in Bangladesh.........

Discussion in 'Economy' started by Sunshine, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Sunshine

Sunshine Trust the pie. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,045
    Last week I bought a set of towels. The tag said 'Made in Bangladesh.' They were the roughest cheapest thinnest towels I have ever purchased. Now that might be a problem for some, but it wasn't for me. When I was growing up we didn't have much money so our towels were pretty well worn out and they were line dried which meant they were also rough. I don't really like big fluffy towels. I like thin rough towels like I grew up with, but only in summer do I line dry them.

Never fear. If you come to my house, I keep big fluffy towels for my guests!~

Welcome to the ever changing world of consumer goods in America. What you buy equates with poverty more and more every day. Some on here should really like that.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. theDoctorisIn

theDoctorisIn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,932
    I'm not sure what your point is.

You bought some shitty towels - so what?

What does that have to do with "the ever changing world of consumer goods"? How do your bath towels "equate" to poverty?

It seems to me you just bought shitty towels. I just bought some great bath towels, 100% Egyptian cotton. They're fantastic, and not that expensive. I'll send you the website if you like.

3. Sunshine

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,045
    You must be on crack or something. I just stated that I like thin rough towels. Keep your Egyptian cotton towels. I have great towels for my guests and don't really need you to tell me what to buy. Not so long ago everyone was grousing that everything at Wally World was made in China. Looks like that has changed.

Wanna see who grows your Egyptian cotton?

Children keep Egypt's cotton spinning | Marketplace from American Public Media

4. theDoctorisIn

theDoctorisIn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,932
    I ask again.

What is the point of your OP?

I don't care what type of towels you like. I'm asking what do your bangladeshi towels have to do with anything.

I'm asking how the "world of consumer goods is changing". I'm asking how your towels, or any other products, equate to poverty.

5. xotoxi

xotoxi Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,492
    My towels were made in Trinidad & Tobago.

6. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,122
    Fieldcrest towels are well made, not too thick nor too thin, and last for a long, long time.

7. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,403

No all cotton is grown in Egyptian. I have a friend who is a cotton farmer, they grows pima cotton.

But i understand what you are saying.... cheap price equals cheap quality.

8. Sunshine

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,045
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzeLoa1gwCU]I WISH I WAS IN DIXIE LAND - YouTube[/ame]

Syrenn!! You must still be asleep today! I live in the south - the land of cotton. Not much is grown in KY, maybe a little down along the TN border, but once you get into TN on south it is cotton for as far as the eye can see. And "a bale" of cotton is as big as a small building.

While I tend to like cheap quality towels, most do not and are gong to be way more peeved at items from Bangladesh than they were with items from China.

China is home to a large number of engineers. Not looking it up, but they number disproportionately to the population. Still, everything I buy from China has some design flaw in it that makes the product just maddening and makes me wonder if it is deliberate. Now that I have seen my first product from Bangladesh, which suits me fine but probably not everyone else, I am really eager to see what kind of design flaws their merchandise is going to have. Somehow, I have a feeling we are all going to long for the good ole days of 'Made in China!' LOL

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  9. lizzie

lizzie Zen Warrior Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +286
    This was the point of the op- expressed clearly in the op:

It was a point about products made in poverty-stricken countries and how that translates into consumer dissatisfaction here in the States. Personally, I like thin crappy towels, the older the better, until they start fraying.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,866
    Two owners arrested in building collapse that kills over 300 garment workers...
    :eusa_eh:
    Two arrested for factory collapse in Bangladesh
    Sun, Apr 28, 2013 - SMELL OF DEATH: With temperatures hitting 35°C, rescuers sprayed perfume to mask the stench of decay as they looked for survivors among the rubble

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1