Lowest Pay Raise For Military In 50 Years...

the military has had several ground breaking rasies over the last decade. the re-up bonus's are pretty good.

Esp if they really need you. I know a guy who got reup bonuses of $25K because he was a strategically important flight officer.

Good ol' Obamanation respecting our troops........

Oh yeah....it was much better when Bush sent them off to fight and die in Iraq FOR NO GOOD REASON.

From the OP link...."Star and Stripes reports today that with Republicans in the Senate holding up consideration of the annual national defense authorization bill (which includes a repeal of DADT), even that 1.4% increase is in jeopardy."

Last edited:
No member of Congress should earn more than front line troops. Simple.

Simplistic Drivel

Yes, lets pay Privates six figure incomes

Or... we could cut the pay of our congress critters to something more like the rest of America survives on. They ain't special. Our troops - they are special. If I'm gonna pay taxes so that someone can get a six figure income, I'd rather it was someone who really earns it.

No member of Congress should earn more than front line troops. Simple.

Simplistic Drivel

Yes, lets pay Privates six figure incomes

Or... we could cut the pay of our congress critters to something more like the rest of America survives on. They ain't special. Our troops - they are special. If I'm gonna pay taxes so that someone can get a six figure income, I'd rather it was someone who really earns it.

Most Congressmen would work for nothing......they get their money in other ways then

cuts are coming everywhere as they should be. I would rather have the money cut from the billions given to defense contractors, but lobbyists own that realm so it looks like the middle/lower class (soliders in this case) get fucked again. why everyone in 50 miles of washington dc isn't in jail is beyond me.

Actually, we should drop Congress members pay down to military levels.

We would definitely find out which of them are in it only for the money.

the quality of people you would at that pay would be despicable

Or you would get people who truly want what's best for the country instead of the pocket-liners we have now.

you are talking about people generally with high levels of educations (masters, phd, attorneys, doctors) who have been in business / practice for decades in many cases. they aren't going to work for military entry level pay

the quality of people you would at that pay would be despicable

Or you would get people who truly want what's best for the country instead of the pocket-liners we have now.

you are talking about people generally with high levels of educations (masters, phd, attorneys, doctors) who have been in business / practice for decades in many cases. they aren't going to work for military entry level pay

That's not true. People seek power more than Money, in many cases. Do you really think all
the millionaires in congress are there for the money?

People would take the power for free.

Congress should get zero raise.

Of course, they should have been getting zero raise for the past 3-4 years.

Having said that, 1.4% doesn't sound like much, but times are hard for everyone. I'm supremely grateful for what they do and what they sacrifice, but I look around me at people who have no jobs with kids to feed, working temp jobs in order to barely keep the bills paid and a roof over their head...

Thank you for defending us, but the coffers are low due to our elected officials pig ignorance and greed. Sorry we cannot give more.

I know this is a very emotional and controversial issue but i would still like to hear your thoughts on it. It is a very important issue...

Proposed 1.4% Military Pay Raise Under Fire - CBS News

GOP leaders vowed in their "Pledge to America" that, if they take power, they will cut veterans' benefits because they are not "paid for."

Republicans "pledge" to slash veterans benefits peoplesworld

Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, seemed to give a thumbs down to bipartisan legislation that would greatly expand educational benefits for members of the military returning from Iraq and Afghanistan under the GI Bill.

McCain indicated he would offer some sort of alternative to the legislation to address concerns that expanding the GI Bill could lead more members of the military to get out of the service.

McCain, Military Oppose Expanding GI Bill - ABC News

This is what confuses me about Republicans. First, they want to cut benefits so those in the military are trapped, then they are against pay raises to military personal, which would keep more IN the military.

Republicans Cut Veteran's Benefits

Veterans advocacy groups say this means deep cuts in health care, education, disability compensation, pensions and other benefits that veterans currently receive. One of the biggest complaints is that this will extend the wait vets have for Doctors.

Jim Nussle, the Republican Chair of the House Budget Committee from Iowa, says that things like homeland security, Bush's economic growth plan and defense take priority in this year's federal budget. Critics call the budget tax cuts for the rich.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many people in the private sector have not had a raise in years.
Why should those in the military be exempt from the pain of our recession?

Because people in the military put their lives on the line in a way other Americans don't. Even police and firemen get to go home at night.

Was that a question that even needed to be asked?

Because people in the military put their lives on the line in a way other Americans don't. Even police and firemen get to go home at night.

i have to agree with Dean on this.....many of those guys have felt more pain than any dam recession can cause.....

Yep but it is volunteer.
And they did sign on for the pay at the time they signed on.

I am not intending to belittle the service they provide.
I am a combat vet myself.

Forum List

Back