Lowest Pay Raise For Military In 50 Years...

I know this is a very emotional and controversial issue but i would still like to hear your thoughts on it. It is a very important issue...

Proposed 1.4% Military Pay Raise Under Fire - CBS News

I got my lowest pay raise last year also, a $2,500 decrease in base! The fact that they got an increase is great!

The military is important and they have a tough and obviously dangerous job. But come on they get amazing benefits. Why do government workers always feel such a major sense of entitlement? Why do they think a down economy shouldn't effect them also? What you want to lower my wages? What you want to cut my HIGHWAY ROBBERY pension plan? What you want to get rid of my useless job? What you want to get rid of my useless department?

Cry me a river people! Militarymen have a dangerous and VERY IMPORTANT job, but they get paid for the job they volunteered for. They get 3 squared meals a day and free room and boat. They get their educationed paid for after they serve. They get invaluable training. They get healthcare after services. I mean people are making it like they aren't get squat! It's Bull Shit!

I find it very interesting that conservatives day and night talk about cross the board cuts, but when it comes to defense spending, that is off the table commie! :eusa_eh:

LibocalypseNow, et al,

When I was an E-4 in Vietnam, my pay was fairly dismal ($249/mo plus Combat Pay $55/mo). When I was an E-6 in Germany, I did not make enough to qualify for a car loan. Of course I ended my service to the nation after a career when it really wasn't fashionable to be a service member, let alone a disabled retiree.

I know this is a very emotional and controversial issue but i would still like to hear your thoughts on it. It is a very important issue...

(COMMENT)

Don't fret. The difference is made-up by people saying: "Thank You for Your Service."

This sort of thing happens every time the nation no longer needs you. You'll notice it is controlled by the Beltway Hippocrates; which includes those phonies in Congress and the White House.

Just be thankful they didn't cut your benefits. Of course, that discussion will not be far away.

Most Respectfully,
R

The only pay raises in 22 years that I can remember making a difference was when I was promoted and one time under Reagan when we got 18% across the board (if i remember correctly). I know it was enough to get many of us above the food stamp cutoff.

Today I look at the Military Pay Charts and I see that someone in my pay grade and time in service is making more than double what I made when I retired 17 years ago.

In 1971 My first take home pay was $111. I'll never forget that number.

I don't think the lack of a pay raise is going to hurt the military right now. We all need to tighten our belts a little. And Congress needs to tighten theirs a lot.

LibocalypseNow, et al,

When I was an E-4 in Vietnam, my pay was fairly dismal ($249/mo plus Combat Pay $55/mo). When I was an E-6 in Germany, I did not make enough to qualify for a car loan. Of course I ended my service to the nation after a career when it really wasn't fashionable to be a service member, let alone a disabled retiree.

(COMMENT)

Don't fret. The difference is made-up by people saying: "Thank You for Your Service."

This sort of thing happens every time the nation no longer needs you. You'll notice it is controlled by the Beltway Hippocrates; which includes those phonies in Congress and the White House.

Just be thankful they didn't cut your benefits. Of course, that discussion will not be far away.

Most Respectfully,
R

Yea i hear ya. I mean fighting all these Wars should qualify as being 'Exceptional Circumstances' no? I think they should have thought this through a bit more. These are historically extraordinary & challenging times for our Military. Exceptions could have been made.

LibocalypseNow, et al,

Yes, I understand.

Yea i hear ya. I mean fighting all these Wars should qualify as being 'Exceptional Circumstances' no? I think they should have thought this through a bit more. These are historically extraordinary & challenging times for our Military. Exceptions could have been made.
(COMMENT)

Unfortunately, as was in my time, shall it most likely be in yours, Military Service personnel are often called upon to make sacrifices that Members of Congress are not. And they are the ones that would make the exception.

I would note that Congress will not get their $1600 Cost-of-Living increase in 2011 (as I understand it). Of course I believe they already make $170K+/yr anyway.

If it were up to me, I would exempt the military from pay caps and restrictions. But it's not up to me.

Most Respectfully,
R

LibocalypseNow, et al,

Yes, I understand.

(COMMENT)

Unfortunately, as was in my time, shall it most likely be in yours, Military Service personnel are often called upon to make sacrifices that Members of Congress are not. And they are the ones that would make the exception.

I would note that Congress will not get their $1600 Cost-of-Living increase in 2011 (as I understand it). Of course I believe they already make $170K+/yr anyway.

If it were up to me, I would exempt the military from pay caps and restrictions. But it's not up to me.

Most Respectfully,
R

Well said. Thanks.

New Topics

Forum List

Back