Biden Gives Federal Workers Largest Pay Raise In Over 40 Years

See I don’t see it that way. I don’t them as rats or hornets but as little different from workers elsewhere. When you talk about specific agencies, I think your issue is more with mission of those agencies then the peop,e employed there (and no one likes the IRS :D)

I see most as collectively decent working people like any other, with some that aren’t and a bureaucratic process that allows that. I have had interactions with government workers of all kinds, some good, some indifferent, some just collecting a paycheck, some grossly underpaid for their caseloads and some grossly overpaid to sign paperwork and play computerames.
The EPA is a scumbag operation. Period. And nobody seems to want to rein them in.

Most, not all, but certainly most, of the operations of the federal goobermint could best be operated by civilians.

And -- Why, oh why is it necessary for goobermint employees to be Unionized? 'Splain that one? Please, Enquiring minds and all that.

The Federal goobermint is not supposed to be a 'jobs program' but, as you know better than any of us, it is.

The problem is with the goobermint that the good programs, the good people are becoming over-shadowed by the total scumbags.

Whose fault is that? Not mine. Maybe not yours. Does it even matter? I can't think of why we really need a federal goobermint for other than national defense. And they don't even do that worth a shit anymore. Our borders are a joke, we just got some American Servicemen killed and Sponge Brains Shits Pants is still looking for the door. Terrorists and criminals from other countries are running rampant through the land and the only things worth a shit getting done are being done in the privates sector. They'll probably turn Apophis over the Elon, too.

I'm sorry, don't take it personal but the Rubicon has been crossed, the di is cast and people are sick to death of the federalfuckinggovernment

If enough people get them.

In 2023, federal workers made 27.54% less on average than their peers outside of government, marking the second straight year that the federal pay gap widened. Last year, the pay gap was 24.09%, itself an increase from the 22.47% disparity between federal employees and private sector workers in similar jobs in 2021.
I really doubt that is a valid comparison of total compensation packages and like-for-like job function comparisons.

My experience is that compared to private industry, government workers get a lot of perks and also don't have the pressures of real customers and firm schedules.

I also suspect that much of the supposed pay disparity comes from higher positions. Executives at private companies do make a lot more than most high-level government bureaucrats, even Fauci.

I am guessing here, because your link did not really provide many details, just a conclusion drawn by some pro-big-government website. No offense intended, just honest opinions.

What percent of the Fed Budget do you assume is taken up by pay and benefits for fed employees?

$150 Billion is about $1000 per taxpayer. 5% raise added 50 bucks last year, and another 50 this year.

I know, it's just $50, right? Tiny numbers. :)

More importantly...

Businesses give raises when the company does well and the employees earn it.

Biden gives raises because his wrecked inflation and there is an election coming. And he does it with the stroke of a pen. America is not doing the greatest lately. Do the federal workers actually deserve a raise? By what metric?

But federal salaries aren’t bloated, they aren’t even competitive with the private sector. Only 15% of Federal workers work in the DC metropolitan area. The DC metropolitan area actually ranks fourth in the concentration of federal workers and only 14% of it’s workforce works for the federal government.

It isn’t “bloated” federal salaries driving the cost of anything.

While only 14% of the Fed Workforce is there, they tend to be the higher echelon folks, thus the ones making the highest salaries. Add in that a Fed employee can get upwards of an extra 20 grand just for living there, they are well paid.

But federal salaries aren’t bloated, they aren’t even competitive with the private sector. Only 15% of Federal workers work in the DC metropolitan area. The DC metropolitan area actually ranks fourth in the concentration of federal workers and only 14% of it’s workforce works for the federal government.

This goes to what I said in my prior post -- People have had it with the federal goobermint. For better or for worse, we've had it.

They have lost the trust of The American People. Right, wrong or indifferent. You can rationalize and justify until you're blue in the face. We've had it. It's over. Kaput. Fini. Done.

And like a great philosopher once said, You can't unscramble an egg.

I really doubt that is a valid comparison of total compensation packages and like-for-like job function comparisons.

My experience is that compared to private industry, government workers get a lot of perks and also don't have the pressures of real customers and firm schedules.

I also suspect that much of the supposed pay disparity comes from higher positions. Executives at private companies do make a lot more than most high-level government bureaucrats, even Fauci.

I am guessing here, because your link did not really provide many details, just a conclusion drawn by some pro-big-government website. No offense intended, just honest opinions.

They do have better perks for the most part.

And yes, most of the discrepancy is in the upper ranks and higher levels of education. A person with a HS Diploma could likely make more for the Govt than in the private sector. For someone like me with a Masters the pay would be a good bit less but the benefits would be better most likely.

Biden gives raises because his wrecked inflation and there is an election coming.

do you believe there are enough Fed Employees in any one spot to make a difference in an election?

And he does it with the stroke of a pen. America is not doing the greatest lately. Do the federal workers actually deserve a raise? By what metric?

The House could have stopped it, they could have made it less or even not at all. but they were too busy doing other things, whatever those things are is your guess.

I have worked with fed employees since my time in the Marines. There are good ones and bad ones, just like in any large organization. I personally believe they are doing more work than ever given that the amount of Govt workers has stayed basically the same since the 70s while the number of people they serve has gone up by 67%.

Why? They are completely different tracks and any increases (both deserved) should be independent of each other.
Any raise for a government worker should include a raise for retired folks.

Who gave him that authority?? Unless Cola shouldnt the purse be authirized by Congress.

Oh I firgot we are a Banana Republic and kings can do as they please.

Our country is fucked

I am guessing that all the private contractors in DC are not counted as federal employees even when 100% of the work they do is for the fed. Booz-Allen Hamilton is DC's 7th largest employer after places like Georgetown Univ. and hospitals.

We can disagree on the bloat. I am entirely unconvinced.

Average salary of $80k in 2022.

10% raise over the past two years (without promotion). Do they deserve it? Have the average American workers received 10%? Has the fed done such a great job for America that we are on our way to riches with a booming private sector, low crime, problem-free travel, low prices, cheap and abundant energy? Rhetorical questions, but you can see my point of view. Like Flash, I think the government does a lot of harm with the money we are forced to feed it.

I've got no problem with good raises for good, essential employees. That can be accomplished with promotions normally.

CLOA is 3.2%, but pay raise for everybody is 5.2%? Have they earned this right to take more of the average taxpayer's pay? By what metric?

Regards,
Jim

VA nurses are severely underpaid. Just like nursing home workers. Talk about underpaid. So.e make like $17 per hour. That's pathetic.
There is no nurse anywhere that makes 17 an hour.

Starting pay at the VA for someone fresh out of nursing school, is 30 an hour.

Skilled and experienced pros make 80-85 an hour

And yes, most of the discrepancy is in the upper ranks and higher levels of education. A person with a HS Diploma could likely make more for the Govt than in the private sector.

Thanks, that's what I was guessing.

do you believe there are enough Fed Employees in any one spot to make a difference in an election?

Well, it seems to have worked in the Gator household.

I am guessing that all the private contractors in DC are not counted as federal employees even when 100% of the work they do is for the fed. Booz-Allen Hamilton is DC's 7th largest employer after places like Georgetown Univ. and hospitals.

We can disagree on the bloat. I am entirely unconvinced.

Average salary of $80k in 2022.

10% raise over the past two years (without promotion). Do they deserve it? Have the average American workers received 10%? Has the fed done such a great job for America that we are on our way to riches with a booming private sector, low crime, problem-free travel, low prices, cheap and abundant energy? Rhetorical questions, but you can see my point of view. Like Flash, I think the government does a lot of harm with the money we are forced to feed it.

I've got no problem with good raises for good, essential employees. That can be accomplished with promotions normally.

CLOA is 3.2%, but pay raise for everybody is 5.2%? Have they earned this right to take more of the average taxpayer's pay? By what metric?

Regards,
Jim
Well, another way of looking at it is this: federal pay lags far behind the private sector. Government workers, in 2022 earn 27.54 less in wages than private sector counterparts.

Who gave him that authority?? Unless Cola shouldnt the purse be authirized by Congress.

Oh I firgot we are a Banana Republic and kings can do as they please.

Our country is fucked

Congress did when they choose to not address the issue. Had the House done anything with it Biden could not have used the EO.

By the way, Trump did the same thing in 2020, did you whine about it then?

Well, another way of looking at it is this: federal pay lags far behind the private sector. Government workers, in 2022 earn 27.54 less in wages than private sector counterparts.
Benefits make those wages much larger. And when the country hits hard times they dont get hit.

Biden signed an EO to give federal workers an average pay raise starting in January of 5.2%

This is after a 4.6% pay raise in 2023...

"Despite the fact that federal agencies are still operating without a full budget, Biden’s order cements the pay raise for 2024. Unless Congress quibbles with Biden’s figure in another CR or in the Financial Services and General Government bill, the pay raise defers to the President’s authority."

Most federal workers still work from home part time...

Meanwhile, social security recipients will get a 3.2% cost of living adjustment in 2024 while the costs of food, shelter and energy have skyrocketed.

Biden sure is good at spending other people's money. The bloated fed balloons further.

Using taxpayers money to buy votes, it's just that simple.

Keep in mind, this COL is not the only increases GS employees get. They get regular promotions, and step increases within the current pay structure. This 5.2% is ON TOP OF that.

Biden signed an EO to give federal workers an average pay raise starting in January of 5.2%

This is after a 4.6% pay raise in 2023...

"Despite the fact that federal agencies are still operating without a full budget, Biden’s order cements the pay raise for 2024. Unless Congress quibbles with Biden’s figure in another CR or in the Financial Services and General Government bill, the pay raise defers to the President’s authority."

Most federal workers still work from home part time...

Meanwhile, social security recipients will get a 3.2% cost of living adjustment in 2024 while the costs of food, shelter and energy have skyrocketed.

Biden sure is good at spending other people's money. The bloated fed balloons further.
It's an election year

Forum List

Back