Losing a friendship over politics

Lovebears65

Gold Member
Apr 17, 2011
Georgia
I had a friend who is a democrat. This week I noticed she unfriended me from facebook. We have been friends for over 20 yrs. Like sisters for many years we raised each other kids but since she lives in another state we dont talk personally that much. Last year she met me in New Orleans for my 50th birthday. It was like old times. With no warning she unfriends me even blocked me on facebook. She also blocked my phone.. She never said why she never messaged me. SHe just did . I do post political stuff but so did she. We both said last year your not going to change my views I wont change yours and we did not even bring up politics on the trip. We never even talk on the phone that much and really havent since I moved from Texas but when we did move and I did call we would just start up where we left off. I am just upset she can just delete me out of her life over politics. I would never unfriend anyone because of their political views. I guess I dont need a friend like this if she is not even woman enough to contact me to tell me I was upsetting her. If I knew it upset her so much I would have just blocked her from my political post..

I can't be friends with a political enemy . Heck a liberal political enemy would strip me of some of my RIGHTS if they were to get the chance . WHY be friends with a liberal political enemy because Enemies are what they are . I think that you are lucky LB65 .

I had a friend who is a democrat. This week I noticed she unfriended me from facebook. We have been friends for over 20 yrs. Like sisters for many years we raised each other kids but since she lives in another state we dont talk personally that much. Last year she met me in New Orleans for my 50th birthday. It was like old times. With no warning she unfriends me even blocked me on facebook. She also blocked my phone.. She never said why she never messaged me. SHe just did . I do post political stuff but so did she. We both said last year your not going to change my views I wont change yours and we did not even bring up politics on the trip. We never even talk on the phone that much and really havent since I moved from Texas but when we did move and I did call we would just start up where we left off. I am just upset she can just delete me out of her life over politics. I would never unfriend anyone because of their political views. I guess I dont need a friend like this if she is not even woman enough to contact me to tell me I was upsetting her. If I knew it upset her so much I would have just blocked her from my political post..

Looks like liberals are more easy to be brainwashed than other people: so much BS they believe without any evidence. That could be the only reason I can think of.

Sh*t happens between friends, however sometimes friendship wins after all. Calm down and let's hope for the best, not your fault!

That's happened to me plenty of times, mostly from liberals, but a few conservatives as well.

I read a study about a year or so ago that said liberals are far more likely to end friendships over political disagreements than conservatives are. From my own experience that is true. So much for tolerance

That's happened to me plenty of times, mostly from liberals, but a few conservatives as well. I read a study about a year or so ago that said liberals are far more likely to end friendships over political disagreements than conservatives are. From my own experience that is true. So much for tolerance
It's a difference in two small numbers, i.e. not a lot of people either way.

I find it impossible to stay friends with a certain type of conservative -- the extreme, hateful, bigoted piece of shit type -- ie, the type you find shitting up this forum. They typically support Trump. But I have no problem being friends with the anti-Trump, more reasonable, cool, down to earth type of conservative. One of the weirdest things about my own personal life is that my best friends have always tended to be conservative. We can have level-headed debates, argue about everything under the sun, yet still be respectful to each other and never lose our minds over politics. I love those kinds of conservatives. I find that they are fantastic people actually and make really great friends.

Looks like liberals are more easy to be brainwashed than other people: so much BS they believe without any evidence. That could be the only reason I can think of.

Sh*t happens between friends, however sometimes friendship wins after all. Calm down and let's hope for the best, not your fault!

And yet it seems to me that it is the conservative person who has stated no evidence for their beliefs and is just assuming.

Thats why I don't post about politics on FakeBook.

If one makes and breaks friends solely on politics or religion or whatever, they are not able to think creatively or constructively. They are stupid in that they refuse to learn. If one is unable to change one's mind, that is a person to stay away from.

I have a couple of buddies who are dems.
I dont bother talking politics with them because they are so ill informed it's pointless.

I'm friends with a number of indoctrinated idiots. I don't talk politics with them either. As uninformed as they are, they still get passionate when discussing politics. Its annoying as fuck.

I dont bother talking politics with them because they are so ill informed it's pointless.

I'm friends with a number of indoctrinated idiots. I don't talk politics with them either. As uninformed as they are, they still get passionate when discussing politics. Its annoying as fuck.

Yep...it always boils down to feeeeeelings.

Thats why I don't post about politics on FakeBook.

It's one of the reasons I avoid facebook....it kills me to not comment on some ignorant shit thats posted up in that place.

Got on fakebook 2 years ago was off several months later. That place dehumanises people,imo. Too many expectations.

With friends like that, who needs enemas?

I have few friends, I'm very selective about who I allow in to my circle of trust, more than a couple of them and I disagree politically. We don't care, it's not politics that brought us together and it sure as hell won't be politics that tear us down.

My idiot coworker tags along for me to lunch (he lost his driver license to a DUI) I never talk politics but if you knew me in IRL I don't talk much at all..I just let my work do the talking for me..

But it's funny If he tags along I have the radio set on talk radio:) just to see what he says..because I know he is a democrat.

I Don't think that never happened..maybe it did I just didn't pay attention..

I will toss out funny memes and so will they on FB

You know, I had that happen to me as well. I had a friend who I've known since the mid 90's, and we were very close, and even kept in contact over the years regularly even in spite of my moving around the country because of the Navy.

Well..................last year, she called me for my birthday (we had certain days we would always talk), and eventually the conversation led to politics.

Well..................she and I used to agree on politics, but she'd met an ultra conservative Southern man and married him, and eventually adopted his political views.

We talked a bit, disagreed a bit, and ended the call on a friendly basis. Unfortunately, after that call, she and I haven't talked since, even in spite of my reaching out to her once or twice.

I kinda really miss my friend, and I blame the loss of the friendship on the divisive language that the politicians use, making it an "us or them" kind of proposition which has filtered down do the rest of the population.

Forum List

Back