Losing a friendship over politics

I had a friend who is a democrat. This week I noticed she unfriended me from facebook. We have been friends for over 20 yrs. Like sisters for many years we raised each other kids but since she lives in another state we dont talk personally that much. Last year she met me in New Orleans for my 50th birthday. It was like old times. With no warning she unfriends me even blocked me on facebook. She also blocked my phone.. She never said why she never messaged me. SHe just did . I do post political stuff but so did she. We both said last year your not going to change my views I wont change yours and we did not even bring up politics on the trip. We never even talk on the phone that much and really havent since I moved from Texas but when we did move and I did call we would just start up where we left off. I am just upset she can just delete me out of her life over politics. I would never unfriend anyone because of their political views. I guess I dont need a friend like this if she is not even woman enough to contact me to tell me I was upsetting her. If I knew it upset her so much I would have just blocked her from my political post..
Were you posting real wingnut stuff? That could get me to unfriend someone.

I personally think anyone who posts anything hyper-political on The Facebook is an idiot who is asking for trouble in his life.

Of course, I think anyone who posts anything about their private life on The Facebook is an idiot.

But that's me.

I agree with you about Facebook.

I don't have an account there and I never will. It's for morons......

I had a friend who is a democrat. This week I noticed she unfriended me from facebook. We have been friends for over 20 yrs. Like sisters for many years we raised each other kids but since she lives in another state we dont talk personally that much. Last year she met me in New Orleans for my 50th birthday. It was like old times. With no warning she unfriends me even blocked me on facebook. She also blocked my phone.. She never said why she never messaged me. SHe just did . I do post political stuff but so did she. We both said last year your not going to change my views I wont change yours and we did not even bring up politics on the trip. We never even talk on the phone that much and really havent since I moved from Texas but when we did move and I did call we would just start up where we left off. I am just upset she can just delete me out of her life over politics. I would never unfriend anyone because of their political views. I guess I dont need a friend like this if she is not even woman enough to contact me to tell me I was upsetting her. If I knew it upset her so much I would have just blocked her from my political post..

Why would someone want to be friends with you that votes against their (and every other middle class workers) best interest? You're the enemy.

Because Barry has been so good for the middle class....:cuckoo:

Its just makes me sad that she can throw a 20 yr friendship over politics.
Sounds to me like you consider yourself completely innocent of damaging the relationship. But I've read plenty of your posts over the years. . . Jus' sayin'.

I don't think she even came close to remotely claiming "complete innocence." I'm not surprised you'd try to take a pot shot followed by another pot shot though.

To me, if these political issues meant that much to the person, they should have looked for a person who has the same views as them when choosing their friends...not to hurt your feelings of course. Can I ask what it is that got you and them together as friends in the first place?

God bless you always!!!

Holly

I personally think anyone who posts anything hyper-political on The Facebook is an idiot who is asking for trouble in his life.

Of course, I think anyone who posts anything about their private life on The Facebook is an idiot.

But that's me.
So you dont think people are allowed to have different views then you??? wow
Different views are one thing. Wingnuttery is quite another.

Different views:

I think having a 3 income level tax system with no deductions where everyone can fill out their taxes on a postcard makes more sense than our current system.

Wingnuttery:

Obama is a Muslim Kenyan usurper who wants to destroy America - and Hillary had Vince Foster murdered because he was going to expose Webb Hubbell as the father of Chelsea!!!1!1!!!

You are toxically partisan is why hon

Plus, anyone, Right or Left, who posts political stuff on FB is a half wit. FB isn't for that

But that's me.
So you dont think people are allowed to have different views then you??? wow
Different views are one thing. Wingnuttery is quite another.

Different views:

I think having a 3 income level tax system with no deductions where everyone can fill out their taxes on a postcard makes more sense than our current system.

Wingnuttery:

Obama is a Muslim Kenyan usurper who wants to destroy America - and Hillary had Vince Foster murdered because he was going to expose Webb Hubbell as the father of Chelsea!!!1!1!!!

hiLIARY- will bring in MILLIONS of unvetted Muslims= WINGNUTTERY!! ???
HiLIARy- will bring in MILLIONS of unskiled workers= WINGNUTTERY! ???
hiLIARy - Disobeys the law by using a home brew secret server= WINGNUTTERY!! ??????

Wingnutteryry????????

of course not!!

SHe has a "D" after her name..................

:rofl:

:rofl:

It is interesting to note how people and family deal with interaction and how,politics has become such a deal breaker. My sister in law is so woman's lib and pro abortion that you learn to just not bring it up, she is rabid. She has demanded my brother whizz by sitting down not standing up. That is my brothers little rd wagon to pull and we live so far away I am not going to create any bad vibes by bringing it up when we visit. It ain't worth it. I have other relatives who are lost but so much of it is a function of the environment they live in. I might think they are misguided, but you know what, this is supposed to be a free country. My father used to have an expression, we just agree to disagree, politely. Learn how to navigate the taboos and just be glad you have a large family to celebrate with.

Living in a small town you also learn quickly what conversational etiquette is. Owning a restaurant in a small town is another. You do not broach the subject of politics unless the other party does and even then you speak guardedly. We have no tvs or music piped in as we wish people to come to our place to socialize and talk to each other happily. On top of which anyone whose life is dominated 24/7 by partisan considerations needs to get a life. As important as it is to be an involved citizen, it is also important not to forget to be a neighbor, a friend, a mentor, a family man, or an inspiration.

But that's me.

I have an account but it's to promote business. I would never post personal photos of family or my house, or what I am planning on doing this weekend. It's nobody's business!

I have a close friend who I love dearly, but she frustrates the hell out of me, posting her daughter's life on FB. She's now 7 but there are photos of her from the time she was born, along with every cute thing she has ever said. I keep telling my friend she may one day really regret this, and her daughter may end up truly resenting her. It falls on deaf ears. Sad!

Sounds to me like you consider yourself completely innocent of damaging the relationship. But I've read plenty of your posts over the years. . . Jus' sayin'.

I don't think she even came close to remotely claiming "complete innocence." I'm not surprised you'd try to take a pot shot followed by another pot shot though.
All I got from the OP was "my friend has done this to me". No introspection. Perhaps "I may have done something to cause a friend to unfriend me" would be more thoughtful?

Not that you would ever understand.

I can't imagine someone truly being my friend and then all of a sudden not be my friend anymore over politics. It happens all the time I suppose, and has happened to me, and also there have been people that refused to be a friend due to differences in politics.
Either of those types, were not friends to begin with. Pretenders.

All I got from the OP was "my friend has done this to me". No introspection. Perhaps "I may have done something to cause a friend to unfriend me" would be more thoughtful?

How long have we been friends HT? And I am not sure we agree on anything. :lol:

Synthaholic

The introspection was that she had produced political views that were not consistent with her friend's ideology. Do you suppose there's more to it? More pointedly, do you suppose there can't be? Again, she was stating the perceived conflict and resultant actions. I don't think she was even being judgmental, frankly. People like me were; but she wasn't, and you shat on her.

But that's me.

I have an account but it's to promote business. I would never post personal photos of family or my house, or what I am planning on doing this weekend. It's nobody's business!

I have a close friend who I love dearly, but she frustrates the hell out of me, posting her daughter's life on FB. She's now 7 but there are photos of her from the time she was born, along with every cute thing she has ever said. I keep telling my friend she may one day really regret this, and her daughter may end up truly resenting her. It falls on deaf ears. Sad!

Or she'll be happy at the synergy that is created. Many people enjoy sharing their lives with others. I personally am very distrustful of FB and don't have it. But I've never told anyone I know that it's a mistake to share personal interactions (other than that I relay that the PC cops are out and to be wary).

Why would someone want to be friends with you that votes against their (and every other middle class workers) best interest? You're the enemy.

The GOP has blocked every effort to raise the minimum wage.

Clinton wants to raise the minimum wage to help the middle class and the economy.

The GOP wants to lower MY taxes to zero. Oh wait, thanks to the GOP they're already zero. Zero personal taxes on $4.5M......Such a deal.

Clinton wants to raise the minimum wage to help the middle class and the economy.

The GOP wants to lower MY taxes to zero. Oh wait, thanks to the GOP they're already zero. Zero personal taxes on $4.5M......Such a deal.

:lmao: You're a dipshit if you think that that helps the middle class. You know what would help the middle class? Not paying medical taxes on home sales? I mean, you have your head so far up your ass; that or you're just directly financially motivate to peddle this sh** like many are who come to message boards.

The GOP has blocked every effort to raise the minimum wage.

You stupid fuck....what does the minimum wage have to do with the middle class?
Other than if you raise it it screws em over since they now have to pay more for everyday products.
You have the mental acuity of a turnip....

Forum List

Back