Longevity and Fasting

Fasting has amazing benefits. I recommend it to many folks, with the caveat that when you re-feed your first 1.5 to 2 meals are nutrient dense.

Just found this article on fasting at youtube, selected for me by my opening another page for a few minutes, and when I came back to youtube, this was playing. I'm intrigued. The claim is made that after a person fasts for 9 hours, during the next few hours the body begins healing itself, and even named the process. I may try this because I frequently have autoimmune issues and wondered if there is a solution outside conventional diets that would make some ailments subside. Anyone noticed an improved outlook and subsidence of issues after fasting for a couple of days?

Check out this site. I've found it very informative.

Fasting Physiology - Part II

Not sure I'd be much help BUT...…..in the summer, when I'm busy outside, physically active I only eat once a day as suggested in the video title. In the winter I'm less active, eat more and spend less time outside.

My biggest health issues are or have been Triple Negative Breast Cancer, Arthritis/Bone Degeneration especially in the lumbar, with nerve pain & issues that may stem from that... and Bipolar/Depression.

The BC is now officially gone, but the others are issues I deal with daily and are usually worse in the winter. That may be (and probably is) because of activity levels and exposure to sunshine/Vitamin D....but that's speculation on my part.

But I will say overall.....I don't catch cold or flu or whatever other croup is going around that most people suffer from......or if by odd chance I do catch something, it's not as bad or last as long. It's your guess as good as mine if one has anything to do with the other.
Did you watch the video? What do you think of the man who weighed almost 500 pounds and in 385+ days, he got his weight down to 180? His diet was only vitamins and water, and several health problems he had related to overweight went away early on. I realize that some people can have true problems arise such as bulemia and anorexia nervosa, but in the video, a tribe in South America that does not have strong educational backgrounds live to a ripe old age frequently where eating is an option of way less than 3 squares a day, which intrigues me, that's all.

Actually, I just did...….and have to agree with much of what he says.

If I'm interpreting him correctly, what he talks about is what the "Keto" diet is based on......though maybe not the fasting part. But more of eating good fats (animal) & proteins, some fruits & veggies and little or no carbs/starches...….to trick your brain into 'ketosis' & feeding off the stored body fat (glucose, simple & complex sugars, etc) that carbs & starches would normally provide.

I just don't know that living on supplements alone is a good thing.....but whatever I guess

Gandhi died at 78 and he fasted all the time.
He didnt live in a vacuum, thats why anecdotes arent always useful.
He also didnt eat a healthy diet.
Exactly - that's why Nutrition is a very complex web and one that I've been studying for thousands of hours - years - because there's not typically proper controls on any long-term studies. That's why conventional wisdom in Nutrition is constantly...CONSTANTLY being over-turned or contradicted. That's even before addressing the biased corporate backing behind certain studies, as well. The only thing that MIGHT even be more complex than biology is the Universe, itself.

With that, there are certain take-aways and tid-bits of information that I am able to be 100% confident in.

1, is that citing Ghandi as an N=1 study on the health-benefits of fasting would be a straw-man in its purest form.

Just found this article on fasting at youtube, selected for me by my opening another page for a few minutes, and when I came back to youtube, this was playing. I'm intrigued. The claim is made that after a person fasts for 9 hours, during the next few hours the body begins healing itself, and even named the process. I may try this because I frequently have autoimmune issues and wondered if there is a solution outside conventional diets that would make some ailments subside. Anyone noticed an improved outlook and subsidence of issues after fasting for a couple of days?

Check out this site. I've found it very informative.

Fasting Physiology - Part II

Thank you. Your link cited the same overweight man's case as my you-tube discussed, wherein for 380+ days of consecutive fasting, the grossly obese man, by taking only a multivitamin with water managed to get by with reducing health issues caused by obesity, and for all practical purposes probably altered the man's death by delaying it for years due to the physical pressures that losing almost 300 pounds in a year alleviated. The details in your article are very much appreciated.

A lot of people do those apple cleanses where they only eat apples for a week or so.

I've always thought that all disease starts in the gut. Can't say that I'm correct, it's just what I've always thought. After all, we are what we eat.

A lot of people do those apple cleanses where they only eat apples for a week or so.

I've always thought that all disease starts in the gut. Can't say that I'm correct, it's just what I've always thought. After all, we are what we eat.

The good news is, is the body is almost like a computer and it's got so many different ways to course-correct.

Fasting has so many health-benefits. When your body begins eating itself, for whatever magical reason the autophagy process has it eating its damaged cells 1st. That mechanism alone has raised the eyebrows of doctors all around the world.

F that...who wants to get hit by a bus and killed while you are hungrier than shit?.....
When people toss the idea that 3 meals a day and routine exercise did not stop them from gaining weight, and begin fasting, there comes a point when healing influences also stop them from craving carbs. Many fast-food carbohydrates are called by cued-in nutritionists "empty calories." And the video acknowledges that the consumption of carbs increases the craving for eating shortly afterward. The video explains your complaint completely. Fasting seems to be thought of as entering a non-food dominating life that can reverse some disorders such as clouded thinking and hunger pain. I was just curious if anyone has had that kind of experience with fasting.

Our craving to eat carbohydrates is biological. It's a protection from the days when our meals were irregular and we didn't eat every day.

Carbohydrates are the foods easiest to break down into Glycogen in the body and easiest to be stored as adipose tissue. When your meals don't come regularly, you need a food that can be stored in the body.

Regular meals are a relatively new thing in human evolution. Our bodies are still not adapted to it.
And excess glucose is stored as FAT. You might as well eat raw sugar as eat too much carbohydrates.

Dieting is fine, and yes fasting is good for you, but neither are a magic bullet to get healthy.

For that you need to EXERCISE.

Intermittent fasting is very healthy.

it only SEEMS longer because you are hungry......

it only SEEMS longer because you are hungry......

I lose my hunger by around day 2, and then by the end I only eat because it's the plan and not even because I'm hungry. I do 100hrs two to 3 times a year, and a small handful of 48's in-between.

seems illogical as the body needs food
Well since there's logic behind it, that's not much of a problem.
logic behind what?
..if humans don't eat or drink = death
Uh, when we reference fasting - - we don't mean "forever." I think everyone mighta intuited that before you posted, but thanks for the opportunity to clarify lol!
..there is nothing in my posts to suggest forever--JESUS F CHRIST

seems illogical as the body needs food
Well since there's logic behind it, that's not much of a problem.
logic behind what?
..if humans don't eat or drink = death
Uh, when we reference fasting - - we don't mean "forever." I think everyone mighta intuited that before you posted, but thanks for the opportunity to clarify lol!
..there is nothing in my posts to suggest forever--JESUS F CHRIST
Are you really this deep in need of arguing about something?

Let me be really clear:

You said that fasting seems illogical because without food or water, you will die.

That's IRRELEVANT to fasting, because there's a point where we..YANNOW... stop the fast. So0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o, your comment was irrelevant, and now you're jesus fucking christing ME?

lol this messageboard is THE BEST

Forum List

Back