M y Latest Hand Made Walking Cane

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
In my losing fight against early onset senility, I have done some woodworking.
I have been making my own walking canes for the last few years with mixed success. All of them have been comfortable to use and most of them durable, but found they had various weaknesses in their structure in the handle or the neck, etc.

This is my last one, I think, because it feels great in both hands, is indestructable and is ambidextrous.

5957-1574895560-5fb9317b5e451c3615465fd18cd95ec9.jpg

The 'hane' style handle is so comfortable, but it looks like a gear shift! lol

I have been making my own walking canes for the last few years with mixed success. All of them have been comfortable to use and most of them durable, but found they had various weaknesses in their structure in the handle or the neck, etc.

This is my last one, I think, because it feels great in both hands, is indestructable and is ambidextrous.

The handle looks like a lethal weapon....so I think it's perfect.

Nice. Bet you could whack the hell out of a snake with that thing. :04:

If I were to use it as a weapon, I wouldnt swing it, I would thrust with it into the chest of my threat, center of body.

Even with the rubber cap on it, it is a serious hit that could kill a person, though that would not be my intent.

Were I to go lethal, I can take the cap off to expose a spike for use in walking in ice.

If I were to use it as a weapon, I wouldnt swing it, I would thrust with it into the chest of my threat, center of body.

Even with the rubber cap on it, it is a serious hit that could kill a person, though that would not be my intent.

Were I to go lethal, I can take the cap off to expose a spike for use in walking in ice.
tenor.gif

tenor.gif
Lol, I wouldnt pound it into the ground, bro.

And I wouldnt swing it like a bat. Lots of guys are not even phased if you slap them across the face with a walnut baton or a friction expandable baton.

Thrust to the center of body is the way to use a baton or cane if you are seriously threatened if you want to be sure of stopping your threat..

In the video below, the cop hits this guy several times across the head with his expandable baton, to little effect.

go to 9:36 for the altercation

Last edited:
So I modified my walking stick to have more texture to it and fancied it up with a geode.

It was too smooth before and kept slipping through my hands. It feels perfect now, and more hand tooled, which it is.

So I modified my walking stick to have more texture to it and fancied it up with a geode.

It was too smooth before and kept slipping through my hands. It feels perfect now, and more hand tooled, which it is.

Damn you for making me consult a dictionary.

Otherwise... Cool...

That's beautiful looks so vintage! It reminds me of the canes that people used to carry in the 1920s and 1930s! :2up:

In the past many people had a cane it was part of their daily dressing...

8LvUy4b.jpg

women too

OhQZsHt.jpg

Did you cast the head yourself?
No, I cut it down from the old spherical shape, and then sanded it to remove the plasticy layer and then sort of gnurled it with a wire brush head on my drill, to improve the grip.

Forum List

Back