Laser vision surgery

tigerbob

Increasingly jaded.
Oct 27, 2007
Michigan
I'm getting into my mid forties now, and have just (last 6 months) started needed reading glasses.

I hate the idea of contacts and glasses are a pain. Anyone have any experience of Lasik etc., and what do you think of it?

Aww. What's wrong with contacts? You can change your eye color as often as you change underwear. :D

Better'n letting someone shoot lazers at your eyes, IMO.

I'm getting into my mid forties now, and have just (last 6 months) started needed reading glasses.

I hate the idea of contacts and glasses are a pain. Anyone have any experience of Lasik etc., and what do you think of it?

I had to resort to reading glasses at about that age---it sucks but I but those $5 drug store jobs and do ok.

I had Lasik done...the best $2800 bucks I have ever spent.

I started wearing glasses since the 3rd grade and contacts since the 8th.

My vision got worse and worse as time went by, by the time I got the surgery my vision was around 20/800...put that in perspective the big E on the eyechart is 20/200...that said bye bye to me around 7th grade.

I got the surgery and I am down to 20/20 in my left eye and 20/15 in my right. I recommend it..there is no pain and all you feel is a little bit of pressure when they kinda suction your eye ball up.

Very cool experience imo, especially when you hear the "tsssssS" when they are burning your cornea, and you actually smell it...think of when you burn hair on your arm or a burned straw...thats what it smells like.

Find a good doctor and get it done. Make sure you stop wearing your contacts a few weeks prior to air out your eyes.

Good luck

How long ago did you have it done? Is it stable, or is it starting to regress?

Its been close to 3 years when I got it done. I remember I got to use the new machine that just came ou tby Baush and Laumb "Zyoptix" i think it was called...prob newer stuff ou tnow.

I felt comfortbale because the doctor that did mine teaches a coruse on it at University of Miami and is considered like top 5 in the world for it.

No regressing at all.

The wife of a friend of mine is an ophthalmologist and she told me that even though they perform the procedure at the clinic she works at, she and most of her colleagues won't have the procedure done on themselves. She told me to wait because less risky and more reliable procedures are being developed.

well i cant comment on that, but I can say that I have ahad it done, my wife, and 3 cousins all with no problems.

Do your research on the doctor and the machines they use...from all the research I have done its very safe

I'm skeered.

My mom is in her 60s, and she had it a few years back. I haven't heard of any problems. I think she still needs glasses.

I want to see some really long-term studies. I just fear that like 20 years down the road a person who got laser surgery could, like, go blind? I know, it's not rational. But they're lasering your eyeball, for God's sake.

I'm skeered.

My mom is in her 60s, and she had it a few years back. I haven't heard of any problems. I think she still needs glasses.

I want to see some really long-term studies. I just fear that like 20 years down the road a person who got laser surgery could, like, go blind? I know, it's not rational. But they're lasering your eyeball, for God's sake.
My understanding is that you have to keep having the surgery, same as you have to keep getting a new prescription for your glasses. I'm not sure about that, though.

About 15 years ago the place where I worked had it as part of their medical plan.

I personally knew about two dozen people who had it done.

None of them had any problems and all were happy with the results.

If you are near sighted. Then you are the best canidate. And will only need the surgery once.

But if you are 40+ and can see well except for reading.

Just buy reading glasses. Because as you grow older, you may have to get it redone about every five years.

About 15 years ago the place where I worked had it as part of their medical plan.

I personally knew about two dozen people who had it done.

None of them had any problems and all were happy with the results.

If you are near sighted. Then you are the best canidate. And will only need the surgery once.

But if you are 40+ and can see well except for reading.

Just buy reading glasses. Because as you grow older, you may have to get it redone about every five years.

Aha! Good info - thanks Sunni.

Forum List

Back